Sponsored

Audio Upgrade Insane Audio JL3001 versus Stinger HEIGH10?

Chocolyle

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTR Sarge Green MT
Occupation
Technical Sales / Security
Does anyone have feed back on either the Insane Audio or the Stinger HEIGH10? I like the looks and use of the Stinger unit but the lack of even just being water resistant is a big risk to me, especially in the JT, roof off.

Insane is IP66 but there is no knob for the volume, seems to be very busy to use when driving down the road. I did look at the Alpine unit, same as Stinger, not weather resistant and they went full retard in their price!
Jeep Gladiator Audio Upgrade Insane Audio JL3001 versus Stinger HEIGH10? Full-Retard

Other ideas? I run Apple, so Car Play is a must.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Mjolnir

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Willys, 2020 Gladiator
I have the insane Audio unit.

I don't understand what you mean by it doesn't have a volume knob? The stock one as well as all controls on the wheel work with it. It has been just as simple as the stock UConnect, if not easier. Not sure what you mean by "busy".

For me, mine has been amazing and the CS is some of the best I have ever had. I had an issue with my rear camera cutting out and when I contacted Insane, they overnighted a new connector which fixed the issue.

GPS is great. Works perfectly with the Premium Alpine sound system. It comes with connections for Apple Car Play.

What other concerns do you have?

OP
OP
Chocolyle

Chocolyle

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTR Sarge Green MT
Occupation
Technical Sales / Security

I don't understand what you mean by it doesn't have a volume knob? The stock one as well as all controls on the wheel work with it. It has been just as simple as the stock UConnect, if not easier. Not sure what you mean by "busy".

For me, mine has been amazing and the CS is some of the best I have ever had. I had an issue with my rear camera cutting out and when I contacted Insane, they overnighted a new connector which fixed the issue.

GPS is great. Works perfectly with the Premium Alpine sound system. It comes with connections for Apple Car Play.

Thanks for the reply.

I did not realize there was a factory volume knob on the dash. Sorry, should have been more clear. Will be ordering a JTR soon, making plans for the audio.

Busy, meaning a lot going on. Can the JL3 home screen be customized? Home screen set to fall back to custom items? How is the audio and are you using the stock speakers/amps or aftermarket? I plan on using some of my older equipment for the rest, amps & speakers.

Darrin NC

First Name
Darrin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra, Rav 4 Highlander, Corolla XSE
Occupation
self
would anyone know if there is a difference in speakers in the JT between the stock 5, 7 inch radios? I believe the Alpine system has better speakers. Has anyone just changed out speakers and was it a big difference?

athous

First Name
JOhn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
every Jeep trim comes with the same roll speaker, knee speaker and dash speakers. The alpine premium includes an amp and a subwoofer behind the back seat. Stock speakers can be upgraded pretty inexpensively. However you may want to invest in an amp to drive them. they do make drop in speaker for all the speaker pods. The dash is 3.5, knee is 6.5 and the roll bar has 3.5 and one 4.0. upgrading the roll bar provides the biggest difference. Next the dash. Than the knee speakers being Last and most difficult to install no less

Sponsored

Mjolnir

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the reply.

I did not realize there was a factory volume knob on the dash. Sorry, should have been more clear. Will be ordering a JTR soon, making plans for the audio.

Busy, meaning a lot going on. Can the JL3 home screen be customized? Home screen set to fall back to custom items? How is the audio and are you using the stock speakers/amps or aftermarket? I plan on using some of my older equipment for the rest, amps & speakers.
All Good. I was just super confused.

Yes you can customize the home screen. Think of it like any New phone (apple or android). Ill get you a picture later today of my home screen. There is a button to go access the other apps you have that are not shown on the home screen. When you press the "Home" button it goes to your home screen, keeping any and all changes you made previously, just like a phone.

I have the premium alpine from factory. I think it is great, but I am not an audiophile. People have gotten subwoofers but they tend to take up the space under the rear seats completely. I like having my lockable and removable storage boxes back there so I did not upgrade anything past what was done from factory for the speakers.

Lynn_F

First Name
Lynn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
every Jeep trim comes with the same roll speaker, knee speaker and dash speakers. The alpine premium includes an amp and a subwoofer behind the back seat. Stock speakers can be upgraded pretty inexpensively. However you may want to invest in an amp to drive them. they do make drop in speaker for all the speaker pods. The dash is 3.5, knee is 6.5 and the roll bar has 3.5 and one 4.0. upgrading the roll bar provides the biggest difference. Next the dash. Than the knee speakers being Last and most difficult to install no less
The knee speakers are 4" not 6.5" unfortunately. I believe there are some conversion pods from Metra that allow for 6.5" in the roll bar but not sure about the knee.

Codten

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
Occupation
Mgt

Does your UCONNECT app, remote start, look / unlock etc still work with the aftermarket radio installed?

Mjolnir

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Does your UCONNECT app, remote start, look / unlock etc still work with the aftermarket radio installed?
Why would it not?

I dont use the uconnect app because it is buggy as hell and overall just shit. Everything works normally. All stock controls work. I dont think many, if any, would buy a unit that doesnt allow stock controls to work.

Nar165

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Firefighter

Yes you can customize the home screen. Think of it like any New phone (apple or android). Ill get you a picture later today of my home screen. There is a button to go access the other apps you have that are not shown on the home screen. When you press the "Home" button it goes to your home screen, keeping any and all changes you made previously, just like a phone.

I have the premium alpine from factory. I think it is great, but I am not an audiophile. People have gotten subwoofers but they tend to take up the space under the rear seats completely. I like having my lockable and removable storage boxes back there so I did not upgrade anything past what was done from factory for the speakers.
If you have the 5” Uconnect when switching to the Insane Audio you would lose the volume knob.

if you have the 5” Uconnect you lose the volume knob on the dash unless you change your climate control

Sponsored

Mjolnir

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you have the 5” Uconnect when switching to the Insane Audio you would lose the volume knob.

if you have the 5” Uconnect you lose the volume knob on the dash unless you change your climate control
Cool? Can't have the premium audio from factory with the 5" so kind of a moot point.

Unbreakable

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Sport S 3.0
Has anyone added a satellite radio receiver to the JL3001? I know the JL3001 will stream the satellite radio app but I believe an actual receiver can be added. How is the receiver shown/controlled on the JL3001 screen?

BrentMG

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Service Member
The knee speakers are 4" not 6.5" unfortunately. I believe there are some conversion pods from Metra that allow for 6.5" in the roll bar but not sure about the knee.
You can fit 6.5s in the knee panel area. I did that upgrade this past weekend. You can also fit 6x9s in the sound bar with some dremel/cutting involved. Did that as well a while back

jjdustr340

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator 80th Anniversary
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Crime fighter.
Not completely true. While I can’t speak for the roll or knee speakers, I can say without a doubt, the dash speakers are different between Alpine and Non-Alpine versions.

Non Alpine on top, Alpine on bottom.
Jeep Gladiator Audio Upgrade Insane Audio JL3001 versus Stinger HEIGH10? 0FAB6D09-F55E-428A-B6F3-17E0BE9A0E3B

Jeep Gladiator Audio Upgrade Insane Audio JL3001 versus Stinger HEIGH10? 2177B8BA-EDB2-4F8E-B5F1-E953663F0B09

Alpine on left, non Alpine on right.
Jeep Gladiator Audio Upgrade Insane Audio JL3001 versus Stinger HEIGH10? EDF89F96-1C36-415A-9720-EFFA408138EC

One thing the dash speakers have in common is they’re both pretty crappy. Better replaced with some Reference or Exceleons.

athous

First Name
JOhn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
I cant recall which speakers mine had where at this point. However I have helped 8 people replace their dash and tower speakers and theyve all been the same. However they were all non-alpine 7" or 8.4". Also are you sure that bottom one is a dash speaker, googling the code says its speaker for the tower.

And regardless of all this they are not alpine speakers. Both sets are mopar neither of which are made or endorsed by alpine. Its really misrepresenting at its best.

Not completely true. While I can’t speak for the roll or knee speakers, I can say without a doubt, the dash speakers are different between Alpine and Non-Alpine versions.

Non Alpine on top, Alpine on bottom.
Jeep Gladiator Audio Upgrade Insane Audio JL3001 versus Stinger HEIGH10? EDF89F96-1C36-415A-9720-EFFA408138EC

Alpine on left, non Alpine on right.

One thing the dash speakers have in common is they’re both pretty crappy. Better replaced with some Reference or Exceleons.
Sponsored