Auto lights keep switching

Snowdogyyz

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
I have my lights on auto. But sometimes I’ve noticed it switches out of auto into a different manual mode. Any idea why? I’m new to Jeeps so still learning my way around. It’s an Overland and I love it so far!
Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I have my lights on auto. But sometimes I’ve noticed it switches out of auto into a different manual mode. Any idea why? I’m new to Jeeps so still learning my way around. It’s an Overland and I love it so far!
The switch doesn't move on it's own. Someone is moving it, you're bumping it with your knee, or it's broken. The sensor in the dash turns the headlights on and off when in auto mode. They also turn on when the windshield wipers are on.

OP
OP
Snowdogyyz

Snowdogyyz

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
That’s why I’m wondering. I set it on auto and I’m pretty sure my knee is not touching it. I’ll keep my eye on it a few days and if it continues I’ll take it in.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
This reminds me of my wife's Grand Cherokee. The light switches in those are even more stupidly located. She drives with the seat forward in part because she's not real tall at 5'6" but also because of her handicap - abbreviated arms, she needs to REACH things.
So once in a while I get asked "why won't my lights go out" or one time she was pulled over and a nice police officer advised her that her headlights were not on (other lights but not headlights) and it was hard to tell because of all the city lights and stuff where she was. He offered to help, he turned the lights control on the dash and bingo, they came on. He told her they were on some other setting.
Bottom line, she used to swear she wasn't, but then we started watching really close and yes, the way she swung to get out of her Jeep she was indeed turning that dial.
Now why does Jeep put the control so low you have to almost get out to see what the text next to the dials say, and where you will hit them with your knees? Why not have them up high, even on the stalk, or at least where you can SEE the switches and not bump them. The JT isn't as bad as her Jeep is, thank goodness! I can at least see the controls in my truck, you can't when sitting in her Grand Cherokee.

dstephns

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon, 1966 Sunbeam Tiger
The switch doesn't move on it's own. Someone is moving it, you're bumping it with your knee, or it's broken. The sensor in the dash turns the headlights on and off when in auto mode. They also turn on when the windshield wipers are on.
Same thing was happening to me. Got in one day a little differently and noticed my knee bumped and rotated the light switch from auto to a different setting. Only happens when I climb in the seat. Once in no problems.
Have caught myself bumping it a couple of times since.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Same thing was happening to me. Got in one day a little differently and noticed my knee bumped and rotated the light switch from auto to a different setting. Only happens when I climb in the seat. Once in no problems.
Have caught myself bumping it a couple of times since.
On way back from church last night (a 30 minute drive) the sun was going down, darkness setting in and she said "this thing won't let me use brights" - I thought a moment and realized - the lights just don't seem right (although I normally have no reason to drive it or be in it after dark most of the time). I said then you don't have headlights on, likely just driving lights or some other setting. She argued a bit - then turned the dial - bingo - you could see the highway better. I said try your brights now - yeah, they worked.
Once again, she had bumped that light dial. It's in a horrible place on the Grand Cherokee - I mean it's just plain dumb to have it where - when driving, she can barely see it let alone read any of the symbols on the thing. I told her when we got home I'd get a light and see where it should be.
That's our one real complaint - it's the worst positioned headlight switch I have ever experienced.
If you think it's bad on your JT - drive a 2018 GC with the seat forward like she has it. You'll bump that switch almost every time.
I feel like setting it and then running a screw through it so it can't be turned. The goofy part is that with the dial in the other position - like driving lights or whatever, it almost feels like the headlights are on as you can actually see the road ok.
Sponsored