First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Nurse
I’ve been stalking this site for a handful of weeks now and couldn’t find a post related to my issue. So, I’m stepping out from behind the curtain, registering as a member and asking for a little advice or insight.
We have a larger pop-up camper and trailer brakes are a must. That said, the Gladiator-specific Tekonsha harness is best described as a mythical creature; not available locally and a few weeks out at any online retailer, basics non-existent at this point in time.
That said, I went the Tekonsha harness 3024-P route with the swapped wires. A few guys on this site have done the same with reported success. I then connected the Reese/Tekonsha POD brake controller (model 7437711), hit the slide for manual brake application and got a message on the dash that there is an issue with the Auto Park and Electronic Stability Control.
I shut down the vehicle, disconnected the harness and controller, started back up with no faults.
Shut down, reconnected, hooked up trailer. Started the Jeep again and got the same faults with depression of brake pedal.
Now, I don’t know if I should haven’t, but I took the trailer on a short 1 mile tow to see if the controller worked. I never got over about 20mph in our subdivision, but the only time I could get the trailer brakes to engage was manually with the slide switch. No trailer brakes with depression of the truck’s pedal alone.
I know there’s a lot to unpack here, but any help would be appreciated.

As a note, I picked up a replacement POD controller this morning on my way to work. I’ll try it out later as we’re planning on heading out tomorrow morning to camp.

Edit 8/11/20 @ 0052:
Connected the replacement brake controller and still have the same issues.
Ran my multimeter across the red wire coming from the Tekonsha harness with the controller disconnected and I’m getting 12v with depression of the brake pedal. So, it appears the controller should be receiving the brake signal. Could this be a wiring problem with the trailer?
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Nurse
I was finally able to obtain the 3073-P Tekonsha harness for the Gladiator. Hooked it up tonight, connected the brake controller and connected the trailer… Same faults displayed on the dash.
I know this original post is quite old at this point, but I’m still seeking assistance form anyone here who may have the same issue.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
There is a TSB for the ABS controller that addresses this issue. I believe it applies to all Gladiators made before January 2020. There are some threads about the Mopar Brake Controller in the Towing section that mention the TSB.

TSB 08-102-20 - Brake Controller

Last edited:

OldButStillJeeping

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave, '92 Jeep YJ, 2017 F250 4WD
With all the posts i have seen regarding trailer brakes installed aftermarket; It seems that the easiest route is a hydraulic hitch brake.

CallMeJoe

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
Occupation
Retired
Do you have a diode in your trailer brake harness? I put one on my harness connector and have had no problems. It goes in the brake signal wire and points so there is voltage going to the controller but none going from the controller back to the vehicle. I've got a thread on it somewhere here. I used a diode out of a gm alternator adapter harness but any diode of the right size would work. I'll see if I can dig up my post...

Sponsored

OP
OP
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Nurse
Do you have a diode in your trailer brake harness? I put one on my harness connector and have had no problems. It goes in the brake signal wire and points so there is voltage going to the controller but none going from the controller back to the vehicle. I've got a thread on it somewhere here. I used a diode out of a gm alternator adapter harness but any diode of the right size would work. I'll see if I can dig up my post...
From my understanding, both of the Tekonsha harnesses I’ve tried (Ram and Gladiator specific) have diodes.

OP
OP
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Nurse
There is a TSB for the ABS controller that addresses this issue. I believe it applies to all Gladiators made before January 2020. There are some threads about the Mopar Brake Controller in the Towing section that mention the TSB.

TSB 08-102-20 - Brake Controller
Is this something that would require the dealership to update?

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Is this something that would require the dealership to update?
Yes, it is an update the dealer has to apply. Don't clear the errors. Take it to the dealer, tell them the problem, and tell them you heard about the TSB that may fix it, and provide the TSB number.

CallMeJoe

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
Occupation
Retired
From my understanding, both of the Tekonsha harnesses I’ve tried (Ram and Gladiator specific) have diodes.
That's the theory... I couldn't get one of those so I sourced a cheapo Curt harness from e-trailer and added my own diode. (I think mine was for a 2015 Ram. Had to switch the two wires in the plug) so that ended up working for me.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
That's the theory... I couldn't get one of those so I sourced a cheapo Curt harness from e-trailer and added my own diode. (I think mine was for a 2015 Ram. Had to switch the two wires in the plug) so that ended up working for me.
OR you could go to the dealer with the TSB in hand and tell them to FIX IT.
One of these days you'll get an ABS system flash anyway for something else and it will be fixed. So why do all the work with fancy harnesses and diodes - let the dealer flash the ABS and fix the issues.
There hasn't been a reason to fix these ourselves for months.

I find it interesting there's still anyone bothering to order parts or modify harnesses. Some day these will get that flash for another reason, make 'em fix it under warranty. It's a flaw in their programming.

Attachments

Sponsored

CallMeJoe

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
Occupation
Retired
I hear ya. I'd rather just buy what fits. Problem was, when I did my harness everyone was out of diode-equipoed stuff and I needed my trailer brakes working (1680 lbs teardrop camper with hella off-road suspension)
Besides, putting in the diode was pretty much a no-brainer.

OP
OP
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Nurse
Unfortunately, I’ve been towing our camper for the past 14 months with this issue. I had the Ram harness with the swapped wires until just recently, but have to manually apply the trailer brakes with the brake switch with each stop. The truck communicates with the trailer, however the trailer brakes do not engage with depression off the truck’s pedal. It’s been a pain.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Unfortunately, I’ve been towing our camper for the past 14 months with this issue. I had the Ram harness with the swapped wires until just recently, but have to manually apply the trailer brakes with the brake switch with each stop. The truck communicates with the trailer, however the trailer brakes do not engage with depression off the truck’s pedal. It’s been a pain.
Then there's a controller issue. The truck doesn't communicate with the brake controller at all. The brake controller has an electronic device in it that senses DECELERATION. So it is supposed to sense when the truck slows down and apply the trailer brakes accordingly.
You either need to adjust the dial to a higher number to set sensitivity or have it diagnosed.

The truck brakes are totally independent of the trailer brakes, there is no interconnection at all.
In fact if you suddenly slowed your truck with the parking brakes, the accelerometer in the trailer brake controller should sense the change in speed and apply the trailer brakes. If you had a parachute behind you slowing the truck, the trailer brake controller should sense the sudden slow-down and apply trailer brakes according to the setting on your dial.
There is nothing anywhere that senses you pushing the brake pedal - it's the change in speed or direction that does it. No direct connection.

You have 4 wires to the brake controller -
1 Ground
2 Power
3 Brake light
4 Trailer brakes - this is the wire the controller sends power over to apply trailer brakes.

That last one (4) is working because you can manually apply the brakes. You have power or you'd not be able to apply trailer brakes.

OP
OP
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Nurse
Then there's a controller issue. The truck doesn't communicate with the brake controller at all. The brake controller has an electronic device in it that senses DECELERATION. So it is supposed to sense when the truck slows down and apply the trailer brakes accordingly.
You either need to adjust the dial to a higher number to set sensitivity or have it diagnosed.

The truck brakes are totally independent of the trailer brakes, there is no interconnection at all.
In fact if you suddenly slowed your truck with the parking brakes, the accelerometer in the trailer brake controller should sense the change in speed and apply the trailer brakes. If you had a parachute behind you slowing the truck, the trailer brake controller should sense the sudden slow-down and apply trailer brakes according to the setting on your dial.
There is nothing anywhere that senses you pushing the brake pedal - it's the change in speed or direction that does it. No direct connection.

You have 4 wires to the brake controller -
1 Ground
2 Power
3 Brake light
4 Trailer brakes - this is the wire the controller sends power over to apply trailer brakes.

That last one (4) is working because you can manually apply the brakes. You have power or you'd not be able to apply trailer brakes.
I’m going to have to try another controller. I intentionally bought the Reese/Takonsha POD controller due to the smaller size and the fact it didn’t have an accelerometer, meaning it could be mounted in any direction. The Jeep is a lease and I wasn’t sure about screwing in a mount to the knee bolster. I’ve read on this form that other guys are running the same controller, however on Amazon, this model doesn’t support all the functions of the more expensive controllers Reese/Takonsha produce. The one area it’s lacking is that the POD does not say it “Functions on low voltage brake signal (2013-current Ram)”. Granted, Gladiator and Ram are different, but the harness is quite similar. I’m wondering if the brake signal voltage is as well.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I’m going to have to try another controller. I intentionally bought the Reese/Takonsha POD controller due to the smaller size and the fact it didn’t have an accelerometer, meaning it could be mounted in any direction. The Jeep is a lease and I wasn’t sure about screwing in a mount to the knee bolster. I’ve read on this form that other guys are running the same controller, however on Amazon, this model doesn’t support all the functions of the more expensive controllers Reese/Takonsha produce. The one area it’s lacking is that the POD does not say it “Functions on low voltage brake signal (2013-current Ram)”. Granted, Gladiator and Ram are different, but the harness is quite similar. I’m wondering if the brake signal voltage is as well.
Those with accelerometers can be mounted in any direction. That's the point of doing it electronically. The Redarc, for example - some of us have it mounted vertically, some have it laying flat. The MOPAR unit - some of us have it facing forward, some have it facing rearward.

The older styles had to be fairly level as one I had actually had a pendulum (maybe some still do??) and it hadto be mounted in certain positions as I recall. At least the one I had on my Ford had to be sitting horizontally under the dash.

But the sort with accelerometers can be mounted in different positions as long as they can't move or wiggle.
Sponsored