Sponsored

Auto Start Stop Failure/Then complete loss of power failure--Gladiator dead in its tracks

ckoyola

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 1999 Cherokee XJ, 1977 L82 Corvette
The Auto Start/Stop came up with a failure on the screen at only 7,700 miles. Took to dealer to have the Auto/Start stop battery replaced. Picked truck up, went out later that night, was driving out of a parking space and the Gladiator completely died. No power to anything--no lights, no remote start, horn, nothing, came to a littoral grinding halt and could not even get it out of drive. Had it towed back to dealer, they could not find anything caused by the repair, no lose ground wires, etc. and then while working on it, it came back to life on its own. The still have it trying to solve the issue since it has the potential to be very dangerous if this would have occurred on a highway. Any others out there with this issue and what was the resolution? Electrical issues are the worst to track down so wanted to give this a shot--not very confident in my Gladiator any more. Will still get another one, just not sure if I want to keep mine after this.
Sponsored

SuburbanGP88

First Name
Willy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Retired
Just got some seat belt plugs. Tried it out. It still displays door open but it'll drive with the door open.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
The Auto Start/Stop came up with a failure on the screen at only 7,700 miles. Took to dealer to have the Auto/Start stop battery replaced. Picked truck up, went out later that night, was driving out of a parking space and the Gladiator completely died. No power to anything--no lights, no remote start, horn, nothing, came to a littoral grinding halt and could not even get it out of drive. Had it towed back to dealer, they could not find anything caused by the repair, no lose ground wires, etc. and then while working on it, it came back to life on its own. The still have it trying to solve the issue since it has the potential to be very dangerous if this would have occurred on a highway. Any others out there with this issue and what was the resolution? Electrical issues are the worst to track down so wanted to give this a shot--not very confident in my Gladiator any more. Will still get another one, just not sure if I want to keep mine after this.
The dealer should have replaced both batteries and made sure they were charged before letting it go the first time. A bad ESS battery will ruin the primary battery. The computer systems in these trucks are on all the time. When they are rebooted (batteries disconnected) they can require up to 24 hours to fully recover. The charging system gives priority to the main battery, and a discharged ESS battery can cause odd problems until charged. I don't think the dealer will find any additional problems.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
Good luck and keep us posted.

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
Is your Jeep still with the dealer, ckoyola? If so, send us a private message and we can look into this further.

Kate
Jeep Cares

Sponsored

OP
OP
ckoyola

ckoyola

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good luck and keep us posted.
Update from dealer service center--Power distribution center went bad. It is on order so should be back in the saddle in week. No idea what caused it to fail, but at least we have an answer.

OP
OP
ckoyola

ckoyola

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is your Jeep still with the dealer, ckoyola? If so, send us a private message and we can look into this further.

Kate
Jeep Cares
Update from dealer service center--Power distribution center went bad. It is on order so should be back in the saddle in week. No idea what caused it to fail, but at least we have an answer.

OP
OP
ckoyola

ckoyola

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The dealer should have replaced both batteries and made sure they were charged before letting it go the first time. A bad ESS battery will ruin the primary battery. The computer systems in these trucks are on all the time. When they are rebooted (batteries disconnected) they can require up to 24 hours to fully recover. The charging system gives priority to the main battery, and a discharged ESS battery can cause odd problems until charged. I don't think the dealer will find any additional problems.

OP
OP
ckoyola

ckoyola

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator 2019 Porsche Macan S 2018 BMW M2
Stupid tech at your dealer service center probably does not realize/know it is replaceable.
So, you think that a fuse just randomly blew while driving then randomly heals itself? LOL. My money is on the stupid techs diagnosis.

Sponsored

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
Thanks for the update, ckoyola. We'll be here if you run into any other concerns.

Kate
Jeep Cares

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You can LOL, but get up to speed on his stuff and you would not be so apt to LOL. LOL
[/QUOTE]

That's funny. I was aware of the fuses long before there were any videos on them as were dealers.

jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 2019 Cherokee KL 2020 Gladiator JT
@ckoyola

Very good chance, the assigned Tech at your "dealer service center" is clueless lets say...

No reason to be without your JT for a week+ when they can easily change a fuse array they probably have in stock or can get over nighted to them.

If anything in that PDC needs replacing, it's the replaceable, 68368853AA Mopar Z Case Fuse Array that is found in the PDC. The whole PDC, undoubtedly does not need to be replaced.

Stupid tech at your dealer service center probably does not realize/know it is replaceable.

This is probably the problem, should be easy to check with an ohm meter without removing anything.

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is probably the problem, should be easy to check with an ohm meter without removing anything.
True or you can pop the lug off and see if it's popped if you don't have a meter.

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The dealer said that the vehicle started functioning correctly on it's own. That's indicative of a faulty PDC which can have intermittent issues, not a blown fuse.
Sponsored