Sponsored

Auto Start / Stop not ready on new JTRD?

99ls1tj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4XE
Occupation
machinist
Hi, just picked up my JTRD today. The auto start / stop is not working (not necessarily a bad thing) and I keep getting a message that the auto start / stop is not ready. No explanation as to why. I assume normally the auto start / stop should work right off the lot on a new diesel? I thought it might be possible that it's disabled until the engine breaks in a bit (unlikely). Any suggestions other than taking it in for service? Thanks
Sponsored

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
The battery probably needs to charge a bit. Or it's too hot and the climate control is on. It only works under very specific conditions but since you just bought yours, it's probably just the battery isn't up to full capacity yet from sitting. Unless you're getting an error message, I wouldn't worry about it.
Pretty much, if it's very hot outside, and your ac is on, it won't start auto start/stop.

OP
OP
99ls1tj

99ls1tj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4XE
Occupation
machinist
The battery probably needs to charge a bit. Or it's too hot and the climate control is on. It only works under very specific conditions but since you just bought yours, it's probably just the battery isn't up to full capacity yet from sitting. Unless you're getting an error message, I wouldn't worry about it.
Pretty much, if it's very hot outside, and your ac is on, it won't start auto start/stop.
Sounds logical. Thank you.

GregW68

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport Max Tow
Occupation
Self
Make sure your hood is shut good. There is a switch under your hood that will "disable" the auto start feature and give you the error you are seeing. Look under the hood and you will see 2 switches side by side. The one closest to the fender ( I think) is the switch that tells the auto start/stop that the hood is open. The auto start is disabled if that switch is not pressed by the hood.

Hope that helps.

greg

OP
OP
99ls1tj

99ls1tj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4XE
Occupation
machinist
Make sure your hood is shut good. There is a switch under your hood that will "disable" the auto start feature and give you the error you are seeing. Look under the hood and you will see 2 switches side by side. The one closest to the fender ( I think) is the switch that tells the auto start/stop that the hood is open. The auto start is disabled if that switch is not pressed by the hood.

Hope that helps.

greg
I'll check it, thanks Greg.

Sponsored

Casique

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HA Gladiator, 2011 FLHX, 2022 MDX
Hook the battery up to a battery tender/charger and let it charge for a day. That may fix the issue.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Scroll through the cluster display and find the page that shows the status - it will normally say WHY it's not ready - like "battery charging" and so on.

OP
OP
99ls1tj

99ls1tj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4XE
Occupation
machinist
Scroll through the cluster display and find the page that shows the status - it will normally say WHY it's not ready - like "battery charging" and so on.
Thanks, but no explanation like I stated in the OP. If I’m driving and I’m on the start/stop page it does show an Explanation when the steering wheel is turned, but once I straighten the wheel it just goes back to disabled with no explanation as to why.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks, but no explanation like I stated in the OP. If I’m driving and I’m on the start/stop page it does show an Explanation when the steering wheel is turned, but once I straighten the wheel it just goes back to disabled with no explanation as to why.
INTERESTING! Mine has never had no explanation with it..... now you have me curious!

Sponsored

Gulf_coasterHTX

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Subaru Ascent, '21 Gladiator Sport S Diesel
Occupation
Petroleum Engineer
I’m in Houston, my auto stop start is pretty much totally out of commission in the summer time because I always have the AC set on LOW, and the cabin temp never gets low enough to allow the auto stop function. It won’t turn off the car if cabin temp is more than a few degrees away from the temp setting you have set on your AC. If you keep your temp setting on low, try bumping it up to 75 or something and see if it starts working on a longer trip (after cabin cools down a bit)

OP
OP
99ls1tj

99ls1tj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4XE
Occupation
machinist
Thanks for the replies. It actually started working today. It was probably either the battery or the outside temperature. Here is the pic with no explanation.

BEEF5D4D-99F7-41A0-A9B2-DEA1338D56AE.jpeg

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the replies. It actually started working today. It was probably either the battery or the outside temperature. Here is the pic with no explanation.

Jeep Gladiator Auto Start / Stop not ready on new JTRD? BEEF5D4D-99F7-41A0-A9B2-DEA1338D56AE
Odd, mine usually says battery charging, cabin temp, engine temp or some other reason I forget.
Sponsored