Sponsored

Auto stop failure, now check engine light.

Comancheman

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 Jeep Comanche, 2015 jeep jk 2 door
Vehicle Showcase
I have had my gladiator for a little over 2 months and put about
3500 miles on it. My problems started around 3 weeks of ownership as a auto start/stop light came on and . After shutting the jeep off and turning it on again, it was gone and worked properly. No engine light. This happened three or four times, and on the most recent, a check engine light came on and has stayed on and the auto stop and start light is gone and working properly. I would normally just take this to the dealership and have them look at it, but I am active duty military and will be leaving my station in the next few days with a 1200 MI drive home. Should I be concerned about driving that far with the engine light on? If this is the dreaded cylinder misfire that I've heard of, is that possible for it to cause damage? I feel like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place, hopefully @JeepCares will chime in. Thanks for the read

20191220_070537.jpg

20191106_114111.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
Comancheman

Comancheman

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 Jeep Comanche, 2015 jeep jk 2 door
Vehicle Showcase
Had the code read, it came up as P0300 random misfire. The CEL went away without clearing it, I am not sure if that's common.

GlacierGladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 Subaru Legacy, 2012 Mercedes Sprinter
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Had the code read, it came up as P0300 random misfire. The CEL went away without clearing it, I am not sure if that's common.
This is how mine happened and there has been no solution for mine. I turn off the start/stop now everytime I get in and have not had a problem since. I bought a tazer to permanently turn off the start/stop. I dont know for a fact that they are related or if one triggers the other or Visa versa but for now I have no engine light so I'm hoping this fixes it but my confidence is low.

Koja

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hydra Blue Gladiator (LEMON), 2021 Hydra blueJT 04 Rubicon, 04 Ultra classic
Occupation
Retired Sailor, what ever i can scrape together
Mine is in shop now for same issues.

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
I have had my gladiator for a little over 2 months and put about
3500 miles on it. My problems started around 3 weeks of ownership as a auto start/stop light came on and . After shutting the jeep off and turning it on again, it was gone and worked properly. No engine light. This happened three or four times, and on the most recent, a check engine light came on and has stayed on and the auto stop and start light is gone and working properly. I would normally just take this to the dealership and have them look at it, but I am active duty military and will be leaving my station in the next few days with a 1200 MI drive home. Should I be concerned about driving that far with the engine light on? If this is the dreaded cylinder misfire that I've heard of, is that possible for it to cause damage? I feel like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place, hopefully @JeepCares will chime in. Thanks for the read

20191220_070537.jpg

20191106_114111.jpg
Hi Alex,
Are you considering taking your Gladiator to your preferred dealer for a proper diagnosis? If so, please send our team a PM. We'd be happy to offer assistance throughout your service visit.

Mine is in shop now for same issues.
Hi Jeff,
As stated to your fellow forum member above, if you need any assistance while working with your dealer, please send us a PM.
Alex
JeepCares

Sponsored

25rawls

First Name
Bj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Vehicle Showcase
Comancheman. Did you happen to notice If a specific circumstance would cause the light to come? Meaning, I noticed on a harder acceleration and the rpm gauge is close to 4000 rpm my light come on, both the check engine the auto start stop light. And as you stated the light did go off after turning it on and off. But today the check engine light is staying on. Scheduled to go to the dealership on Thursday.

Other things I noticed this time, meaning today, my remote start will start but wonā€™t stay running shits off after 2-3 seconds. And also my back up camera screen comes up black now after the light is staying on.

GlacierGladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Comancheman. Did you happen to notice If a specific circumstance would cause the light to come? Meaning, I noticed on a harder acceleration and the rpm gauge is close to 4000 rpm my light come on, both the check engine the auto start stop light. And as you stated the light did go off after turning it on and off. But today the check engine light is staying on. Scheduled to go to the dealership on Thursday.

Other things I noticed this time, meaning today, my remote start will start but wonā€™t stay running shits off after 2-3 seconds. And also my back up camera screen comes up black now after the light is staying on.
Remote start will not work as long as the check engine light is on. It happens to me as well when I was having issues.

GlacierGladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Ah! Learned something new today, thank you. Would that be the same for the back up camera also?
I dont think it would affect the back up camera

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care

Hi Bj,
We're certainly sorry to hear about your experience. Please keep us updated on your dealer visit. If additional assistance is needed, please feel free to send us a PM.
Alex
JeepCares

Sponsored

25rawls

First Name
Bj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Bj,
We're certainly sorry to hear about your experience. Please keep us updated on your dealer visit. If additional assistance is needed, please feel free to send us a PM.
Alex
JeepCares
Drop it off tomorrow morning to the dealership. Light is still on. Back up camera is suddenly functional.

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
Drop it off tomorrow morning to the dealership. Light is still on. Back up camera is suddenly functional.
Thank you for the update, Bj. Please let us know how your dealer visit goes.
Alex
JeepCares

25rawls

First Name
Bj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you for the update, Bj. Please let us know how your dealer visit goes.
Alex
JeepCares
So within two hours of dropping my gladiator off, the dealership called and said they are replacing rocker arms on the right side because of a misfire code.

This could also be some of the engine noise I have heard on occasion around 3k rpm on a gentle acceleration.

Beginning the documentation process in case this is a continuing and on going issue as I have read all the horror stories and hope this isnā€™t the beginning of issues to come.

I have had the engine light go on and off at 490 miles, 970 miles 1400 miles and coming on 4 days ago and staying on at 2900 miles.

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
So within two hours of dropping my gladiator off, the dealership called and said they are replacing rocker arms on the right side because of a misfire code.

This could also be some of the engine noise I have heard on occasion around 3k rpm on a gentle acceleration.

Beginning the documentation process in case this is a continuing and on going issue as I have read all the horror stories and hope this isnā€™t the beginning of issues to come.

I have had the engine light go on and off at 490 miles, 970 miles 1400 miles and coming on 4 days ago and staying on at 2900 miles.
Hi Bj,
Hopefully the dealer has identified the root of your concern. We are here to assist should you need it.
Alex
JeepCares

BlueCT

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
I hope this works out for you but replacing a rocker arm because of a misfire seems odd to me. The rocker arm is a mechanical thing. It is rather binary in whether it is working or not. You can definitely break a rocker arm but then it is broken and your valve wont open. A misfire like this is 99.95% of the time electronic related. They will probably start replacing sensors and ignition components and eventually stumble onto the problem. I wouldnā€™t worry too much about it however. Before cars had the advanced electronics they do today the only way you knew it had a misfire was if you could feel it. Most people never felt it and it stayed that way for years. The quickest way to discover what it is would be for the part that is causing it to completely fail then they will know what it is but that probably wont happen. Iā€™m sure itā€™s annoying and I will be mad if my truck starts doing it but I would just drive it. They will put out a TSB about it eventually and then you can bring it in and get it fixed.
Sponsored