Auto Swap. Seriously

loudog3114

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No
I bought basically the Gladiator of my dreams in January only to find out the stick is a bit of a nightmare. The 3.6 is so incredibly under powered I'm just constantly shifting and it's getting old. I've driven stick for 22 years in everything you can think of, including an old YJ that's still in the driveway but for some reason I just find it a nuisance in this truck now. When towing my boat to the ramp... Particularly reversing up my hill driveway, the stick is pretty awful. Reverse is too tall and you have to smoke the living shit out of the clutch to get anywhere.

So now I find myself in a position where I've put 5k down, and another 5k into mods, and the car isn't quite so perfect. Does anyone have the slightest idea what an auto Swap may run me? The other option is just buying another JT. But odds are just buying a new rig will be a massive loss anyway, and I'll lose !y beloved Punk'n color. So I may as well look into the auto Swap option.
Sponsored

Deleted member 30519

I bought basically the Gladiator of my dreams in January only to find out the stick is a bit of a nightmare. The 3.6 is so incredibly under powered I'm just constantly shifting and it's getting old. I've driven stick for 22 years in everything you can think of, including an old YJ that's still in the driveway but for some reason I just find it a nuisance in this truck now. When towing my boat to the ramp... Particularly reversing up my hill driveway, the stick is pretty awful. Reverse is too tall and you have to smoke the living shit out of the clutch to get anywhere.

So now I find myself in a position where I've put 5k down, and another 5k into mods, and the car isn't quite so perfect. Does anyone have the slightest idea what an auto Swap may run me? The other option is just buying another JT. But odds are just buying a new rig will be a massive loss anyway, and I'll lose !y beloved Punk'n color. So I may as well look into the auto Swap option.
20136121_15_1408_892.jpg

OP
OP

loudog3114

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No
I disagree the JT is underpowered, swap is not a viable option IMO, trade it or sell it for an auto.
You're talking to somebody who thinks the 6.4 would be nothing more then adequate. But, I think you're right honestly, after thinking it through some more. The Trans is just the begining...

Reactions: Mac

Sponsored

OP
OP

loudog3114

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No
What gears do you have?
Stock stick rubi gears, should be 4.10. Iā€™m on 37s which obviously doesnā€™t help. Reverse is way too tall for towing, and 5/6th have no purpose anywhere with hills. Towing or not. I usually get the same ~16mpg just staying in 4th as I do going up to 5th and at least in 4th it can maintain speed uphill.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
If you're going through the headache of an automatic swap, it only makes sense to do the engine too... and I mean that only slightly jokingly because a 6.4L swap is actually simpler.

You'll need everything from the transmission to the shifter and center console piece to the TCM to the main vehicle harness that is going to be a literal shit-show to swap out. You'll basically be gutting the truck and have no guarantee it will all work at the end.

The only other alternative I can think of is if you can find an aftermarket company that makes a standalone controller for the transmission that will be independent from the CAN network (they typically tap the OBDII port to get sensor readings). The ZF 8 speed is pretty ubiquitous so you might have luck there.

OP
OP

loudog3114

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No
If you're going through the headache of an automatic swap, it only makes sense to do the engine too... and I mean that only slightly jokingly because a 6.4L swap is actually simpler.

You'll need everything from the transmission to the shifter and center console piece to the TCM to the main vehicle harness that is going to be a literal shit-show to swap out. You'll basically be gutting the truck and have no guarantee it will all work at the end.

The only other alternative I can think of is if you can find an aftermarket company that makes a standalone controller for the transmission that will be independent from the CAN network (they typically tap the OBDII port to get sensor readings). The ZF 8 speed is pretty ubiquitous so you might have luck there.
The bummer (for customers) is swaps cost what a new Sport would cost. Theyā€™re insanely expensive. Supercharging is an option at around 7-8k installed.

Sponsored

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
The bummer (for customers) is swaps cost what a new Sport would cost. Theyā€™re insanely expensive. Supercharging is an option at around 7-8k installed.
Frankly, the supercharger will be cheaper so I'd solve the power issue and just enjoy the truck. Actually, no... the MT is so borderline on torque rating the supercharger actually pushes over the rating for what the MT can handle on paper.

Gears will help but there's only so much you can do there.

So yeah... I guess hope you got a great deal initially and find a desparate dealership that will not take you to the cleaners too hard?

OP
OP

loudog3114

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No
Frankly, the supercharger will be cheaper so I'd solve the power issue and just enjoy the truck. Actually, no... the MT is so borderline on torque rating the supercharger actually pushes over the rating for what the MT can handle on paper.

Gears will help but there's only so much you can do there.

So yeah... I guess hope you got a great deal initially and find a desparate dealership that will not take you to the cleaners too hard?
Yep, thatā€™s my exact worry with the SC. The clutch can barely handle the 230lbs of torque thrown at it as is. Iā€™ve seen it slip up around 4K a couple times.

ahhhhhhh well. Eyeballing a couple diesel wranglers near me.

OP
OP

loudog3114

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No
Did you take it for a test drive before purchasing?
I did but ten minutes in a car youā€™ve never been in before never tells anyone anything. Thatā€™s a lesson I learned a long time ago. I started using Turo for long test drives, and I had an auto, which was ā€˜fineā€™. Not great, but fine. Had I rented a stick, Iā€™m not sure what direction I would have gone in.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
I did but ten minutes in a car youā€™ve never been in before never tells anyone anything. Thatā€™s a lesson I learned a long time ago. I started using Turo for long test drives, and I had an auto, which was ā€˜fineā€™. Not great, but fine. Had I rented a stick, Iā€™m not sure what direction I would have gone in.
10 minutes isn't long enough. Before building mine I test drove three different times for at least a half hour each time.
Sponsored