First Name
wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
retired
Maybe I am just crazy or maybe jeep is. If Genesis can build a battery box that fits two batteries side by side, why the heck cant jeep do this and save us all the hassle of removing the darn fuse box.........Food for thought. Their has to be some fabricators out there that can build a box to hold two batteries.
Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
The fuse box does not need to be removed to replace the ESS battery. It can be reached by taking off the fender liner.

The Genesis kit replaces the main and ESS batteries with a pair of smaller Group 25 batteries. That's how they get it to fit in that space.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
It can be reached by taking off the fender liner.
That's how "the book" says - and how dealers who diagnose and replace get paid to do it, through the fender liner area.
I'd rather not mess with the PDC and fuse panel connections anyway. I'd go through the fender, personally, and there are videos showing how it's done.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
That's how "the book" says - and how dealers who diagnose and replace get paid to do it, through the fender liner area.
I'd rather not mess with the PDC and fuse panel connections anyway. I'd go through the fender, personally, and there are videos showing how it's done.
Yep, removing the fender inners is pretty simple and is the logical way to get it done. It's not a hard task to take on and something's that worth attempting yourself if your out of warranty. Dealership is about $400 to $500 for labor.

Lunentucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
People Work?
Yeah. Removing the fender liner is way easier than simply opening the hood and loosening two clamps 😂

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Do whatever you damned well please, even mock those who find it easier going through the side, whatever you feel.............. fact is, many Jeep people feel through the side is easier, and it's been shown in the forums here that it's very possible to screw up electrical connections via the top down method.
2 clamps and all of those electrical connections on trucks that have enough electrical gremlins built-in from the factory.
You do what you want, the rest of us will avoid electrical trouble and go the tried and true ways.

Jeep Gladiator AUX Battery 1653877971556

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Yeah. Removing the fender liner is way easier than simply opening the hood and loosening two clamps 😂
I take it you haven't had the pleasure of removing the aux battery. When you do. Pleas let us know how it went.

Lunentucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
People Work?
I take it you haven't had the pleasure of removing the aux battery. When you do. Pleas let us know how it went.
Hahaha. Not yet.
When I do it will be the one and only time I take it out. It won't be going back in.

Vtur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTOD
Yep, removing the fender inners is pretty simple and is the logical way to get it done. It's not a hard task to take on and something's that worth attempting yourself if your out of warranty. Dealership is about $400 to $500 for labor.
The labor rate is insane just to replace the batteries.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
If my ever goes bad after warranty, i'll replace it with an Yuasa brand battery. I have it on all my bikes, some sits for up to 6 months without issues.
Report back........ AGM are supposed to be able to sit anyway, but the big issue I'm finding isn't that these can't sit - it's the bloody draw on the things.
Maybe a better battery will hold up to that better. Hoping.

I believe these have a lot of drain when sitting - and that the charging profile perhaps isn't ideal for the batteries in use. Worse is they are charging two different batteries of different sizes/capacities, in parallel. Not a good thing.

Vtur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTOD
Has anyone done a battery parasitic draw test on the Gladiator? Does Jeep provide any specs?

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Has anyone done a battery parasitic draw test on the Gladiator? Does Jeep provide any specs?
I did on my 2020 Gladiator and it was 24 milliamp draw (0.024 amp) after 30 minutes of going to sleep.. That is more than acceptable and below the 75 milliamp draw that most would start to consider to be excessive.

I do not think the Gladiator has an inherent excessive parasitic draw problem. The problem is related to when one of either battery starts to go bad, it drags the other down with it and early warning signs are usually few or too late.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I did on my 2020 Gladiator and it was 24 milliamp draw (0.024 amp) after 30 minutes of going to sleep.. That is more than acceptable and below the 75 milliamp draw that most would start to consider to be excessive.

I do not think the Gladiator has an inherent excessive parasitic draw problem.
If your battery were 70 AH, at your rate of draw it would last 4 months.

Very interesting, then, that when mine sits a couple of days, the voltage plummets.
Batteries charge up fully, hit 100%, and as long as you drive it, they mostly stay up, but let it sit and you have voltage of 12.1 volts or less.
Both pass load testing.
Sponsored