First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Pilot
I’m installing a lot of electronics in the cab that I want to be able to cut all power to when Jeep is off or on or be able to turn on when Jeep is off, etc etc. The Aux switch is perfect for this as it can be programmed for nearly any config. However, I have 6 devices (all total less than 40 amps draw) that will be installed. I want to wire all these to a fuse block and put by the kick panel (or anywhere, location won’t matter for the question).
Can I wire the Aux Switch wire that’s hidden in the kick panel directly to the power of the fuse block and then ground the fuse block then attach my devices to the fuse block? Or do I need to wire from the battery to a relay, then the aux switch wire to the relay and the relay then to the fuse block?
I'm asking this because I’m not sure if the aux switch wire is also a power wire able to deliver the full volts from the battery with 40 amp protection or if it’s just a dead wire to a push button to control a relay

2020 Jeep Gladiator with factory aux switch group.

Devices being installed are ham radio, two tablets (permanent Power mounting rather than running USB cables from dash), Garmin in reach with permanent power, power for arb linx cell phone looking device that’s the controller, speaker for ham radio. Draw on all is less than 40 amps when all are at max draw so aux 1 should be fine as it is protected by 40 amp fuse.

thank you.
Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I’m installing a lot of electronics in the cab that I want to be able to cut all power to when Jeep is off or on or be able to turn on when Jeep is off, etc etc. The Aux switch is perfect for this as it can be programmed for nearly any config. However, I have 6 devices (all total less than 40 amps draw) that will be installed. I want to wire all these to a fuse block and put by the kick panel (or anywhere, location won’t matter for the question).
Can I wire the Aux Switch wire that’s hidden in the kick panel directly to the power of the fuse block and then ground the fuse block then attach my devices to the fuse block? Or do I need to wire from the battery to a relay, then the aux switch wire to the relay and the relay then to the fuse block?
I'm asking this because I’m not sure if the aux switch wire is also a power wire able to deliver the full volts from the battery with 40 amp protection or if it’s just a dead wire to a push button to control a relay

2020 Jeep Gladiator with factory aux switch group.

Devices being installed are ham radio, two tablets (permanent Power mounting rather than running USB cables from dash), Garmin in reach with permanent power, power for arb linx cell phone looking device that’s the controller, speaker for ham radio. Draw on all is less than 40 amps when all are at max draw so aux 1 should be fine as it is protected by 40 amp fuse.

thank you.
The AUX switch controls a relay that feeds a fused wire to connect to. There should not be a problem connecting it to a distribution block under the dash. Just keep the total draw under the rated amount. There is a chart in the Owner's Manual that gives the wire color and fused capacity for each AUX switch.

OP
OP

w113msh

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Pilot
The AUX switch controls a relay that feeds a fused wire to connect to. There should not be a problem connecting it to a distribution block under the dash. Just keep the total draw under the rated amount. There is a chart in the Owner's Manual that gives the wire color and fused capacity for each AUX switch.
Thank you!

Thank was the confirmation I was needing. Everything being connected to the fuse block draws less than 40 amps and the AUX1 switch claims to be protected by 40 amps. Now that I know I can connected that wire directly to a fuse block, it will make the installation of devices much simpler (and cleaner looking).

Thank you again.

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
As stated above you can, but remember to size the wire to the load and the fuse to the wire when you are connecting these devices to your new fuse block, not distribution block.

Here’s why. If you run an 18 ga wire to a distribution block Fed by the 12 ga Aux switch wire without its own smaller (say 10 amp fuse), the 18 ga wire will become the fuse! If one of your devices shorts out the Aux circuit will be very happy to let it have the entire 40 amps if you don’t add a properly sized smaller fuse for each of the devices that are fed by smaller gauge wires.
Sponsored