Sponsored

Aux switches backlit when the headlights are on?

kcmudbug

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator, 2006 Unlimited
Are your factory aux switch buttons backlit like the rest of the buttons on your dash? I had the ones on my new jeep installed by the dealer and they don't light up. The dealer says they're not supposed to be back lit, but I could swear the ones I've seen in the past lit up at night with the headlights on.
Sponsored

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Does not appear it is wired for interior lighting. Looked at the Upfitter and interior wiring diagram in addition to the pin out for the connector. Nothing there to imply it is wired for a light circuit for the legends but there should be a indicator led when activated.
Jeep Gladiator Aux switches backlit when the headlights are on? Switch Bank

Last edited:

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
Kinda lame they're not backlit

GeneralMaximus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTM
i just went out and checked. They DO light up when the headlights are on. Aux 1, Aux 2, etc… letters/number are all backlit

Sponsored

Killroy Was Here

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
i just went out and checked. They DO light up when the headlights are on. Aux 1, Aux 2, etc… letters/number are all backlit.
My aux switches are also backlit whenever the park or headlights are on.
Truck is a '21 Mojave with the switch option installed on the assembly line.

Last edited:

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
Are your factory aux switch buttons backlit like the rest of the buttons on your dash? I had the ones on my new jeep installed by the dealer and they don't light up. The dealer says they're not supposed to be back lit, but I could swear the ones I've seen in the past lit up at night with the headlights on.
They're back-lit. Dealer, as usual, is full of shit and knows nothing about the products they sell.

Did they 'forget' to program the BCM for them?

Here's an old thread with the same BS from a dealer...

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/dealer-aux-switch-install-total-mess.63211/

jwilson2899

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
Occupation
System Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Does not appear it is wired for interior lighting. Looked at the Upfitter and interior wiring diagram in addition to the pin out for the connector. Nothing there to imply it is wired for a light circuit for the legends but there should be a indicator led when activated.
Jeep Gladiator Aux switches backlit when the headlights are on? Switch Bank
They only light up when the circuit is active. No back lighting.
Both of these are incorrect. The Aux switches are indeed backlit at night. If they are not backlit, then either something went wrong when the flash to activate them, or there’s a wiring/connector issue. Take it back and make them fix it.

Vtur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTOD
Mine is also added after as a kit and they do light up woth parking or headlight.

They also dims with the rest of the interior lights/buttons. Try to rotate one of the dimming wheels by the headlight knob.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Both of these are incorrect. The Aux switches are indeed backlit at night. If they are not backlit, then either something went wrong when the flash to activate them, or there’s a wiring/connector issue. Take it back and make them fix it.
Then I stand corrected. They must be internally lit and controlled from the LIN Bus signal as there is no external light control signal I can find on either the upfitter or interior light circuit schematics.

Attachments

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Yep.
21 Mojave - nothing on the switches. They all light up.

Jeep Gladiator Aux switches backlit when the headlights are on? PXL_20240225_222216505
Probably only a Mojave thing.
They screwed up and made my Overland switches and our Rubicon switches light as well. Probably a factory defect.

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
Your dealer pisses me off so bad I made this video for you. My switches were installed by me after the fact. They are OEM.

Sponsored