Aux switches

BeepBeepIAmAJeep

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Hard Rock Bright White and soon™ 2020 Gladiator LE Bright White
Went to wire my CB radio to one of my aux switches (running wires into the cabin is trickier than my old JK) and looked up in my manual where the wires are dead ended in the cabin. It shows it as taped to the wire bundle right next to the passenger footwell light. My wife and I searched everywhere for it, even removed the glove box, and it was nowhere to be found. We found the wires under the hood no problem though. Did jeep forget to wire up the cabin piece or is it tucked away somewhere other than where the manual is indicating?
Sponsored

akdare

First Name
Alicia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland, 2019 Mini Cooper Clubman
I found mine, but not where the manual shows...dead center on the firewall side of the passenger foot area. It’s behind a piece of plastic that’s an inch or so in front of the firewall. Yours might have slipped down behind that. It’s all black in that area, including the wire bundle, so easy to miss it.

OP
OP

BeepBeepIAmAJeep

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Hard Rock Bright White and soon™ 2020 Gladiator LE Bright White
I found mine, but not where the manual shows...dead center on the firewall side of the passenger foot area. It’s behind a piece of plastic that’s an inch or so in front of the firewall. Yours might have slipped down behind that. It’s all black in that area, including the wire bundle, so easy to miss it.
Thanks, I will take a look tomorrow.

JP1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLU Rubicon 4xe
Build Thread
Link
mine were wrapped pretty tight under the pass side dash, look around, they're there.
If you have the switches, its a pre-built loom, they're there hiding...

Jowen

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Rubicon Cherokee an x2 2020 jt rubicon
When doing your cb look at the coded wires, one is battery hot so you can still use the 4 aux wires when you want to.

Sponsored

TahoeJohnny

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler TJ, Wrangler Hard Rock, Patriot
I can't find mine. Grrrr. I found one lone wire that looked like the wrapped ones in the engine compartment but it is not hot. Novel idea to put it in the Owners manual?

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
Mine were wrapped up hard and tight against a wire harness. I had to dig up in there to cut the cloth wrap with barely room to squeeze in. What a pain. But they are up there.

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
They are there. You will find the end of harness wrap (fancy electrical tape). Unwrap it and you will find the wires. The hot and switched wires are only under the dash.

1C25F7A4-F610-46DC-ABB6-EF238E4EE6A6.jpeg

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
You should also have a bag in the glove box with crimp splices and heat shrink.

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
You should also have a bag in the glove box with crimp splices and heat shrink.
Does anyone have a suggestion for ground connection under dash? I find it odd that Jeep goes to the extent of providing bundles of wires from the Auxiliary Switches, and even provides splices and heat shrink, but does not provide a convenient ground connection. Under hood, on the other hand, is relatively simple.

I notice if I pull back the carpeting on passenger side a section of painted firewall is exposed. So I am thinking I will drill a small hole and use a sheet metal screw to attach a ground there. I will only have two low-amperage connections under dash.

I don't take firewall penetrations lightly, but a small screw should not be an issue.

Sponsored

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Geek
There are two or may three ground lugs behind the passenger side kick panel. It's a pain to remove, and I don't recall how to do it.

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
There are two or may three ground lugs behind the passenger side kick panel. It's a pain to remove, and I don't recall how to do it.
Thanks, that was quick! Where is the kick panel?

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Geek
The plastic panel to the right side of of the passenger's feet...that gets kicked... As I recall there were several fasteners, and I never got it completely out, just open enough to reach in with a 1/4" ratchet and deal with it. I ended up running a set of ground wires over to the area where the positives come out, so I'd never have to deal with the kick panel again. I know I posted pics, probably somewhere else in this thread. But didn't save them so I can't just repost. Not that it helps a lot, it was just a few extra ground wires for potential future use. So far the only thing added to power inside the Jeep is a VHF, on the constant-on wire since it has its own switch.

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Civil Engineer
The plastic panel to the right side of of the passenger's feet...that gets kicked... As I recall there were several fasteners, and I never got it completely out, just open enough to reach in with a 1/4" ratchet and deal with it. I ended up running a set of ground wires over to the area where the positives come out, so I'd never have to deal with the kick panel again. I know I posted pics, probably somewhere else in this thread. But didn't save them so I can't just repost. Not that it helps a lot, it was just a few extra ground wires for potential future use. So far the only thing added to power inside the Jeep is a VHF, on the constant-on wire since it has its own switch.
Thanks again.
Sponsored