Sponsored

Auxiliary switch mod to cutout all exterior lights (including brake lights)

peterpilot379

First Name
Star
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Mojave Gladiator
Occupation
Pirate
I know this may seem odd, but I would like to run completely blacked out to reduce my footprint when entering the woods on the way to my deer stand. It’s private land so no legality issues with proper lighting requirements while driving in the dark. With older vehicles (before the days of daytime running lights) this was easy. I even had a simple switch to cutout the brake lights to really run dark. I’m wondering if this would be fairly easy to do with auxiliary switches to cutout running lights and brake lights on these modern day trucks. With all the complex software integrated with everything else, would it be easy to do without setting off bells and sirens? I have a 2021 Mojave. Thanks.
Sponsored

OP
OP
peterpilot379

peterpilot379

First Name
Star
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Mojave Gladiator
Occupation
Pirate
Presume running just DRL is too bright?

I run the DRL and a lightbar on Aux 1, works for me.
I’m making do with just the DRLs on but I’d prefer to have the option to blackout completely.

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
I would say this would be very difficult to impossible given the way the lights are controlled and monitored by the bcm.

OP
OP
peterpilot379

peterpilot379

First Name
Star
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Mojave Gladiator
Occupation
Pirate
I would say this would be very difficult to impossible given the way the lights are controlled and monitored by the bcm.
This is what I was afraid of. If you put a switch in the wire powering the light/lights you wish to kill, it’d probably produce some kind of error code. 🤷‍♂️?

Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
This is what I was afraid of. If you put a switch in the wire powering the light/lights you wish to kill, it’d probably produce some kind of error code. 🤷‍♂️?
You would need multiple relays or switches to cut the power, possibly one for each light. It would set off multiple warning messages when the computer could no longer sense the lights. The DRLs should be controllable through the head unit, or with Jscan.

OP
OP
peterpilot379

peterpilot379

First Name
Star
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Mojave Gladiator
Occupation
Pirate
You would need multiple relays or switches to cut the power, possibly one for each light. It would set off multiple warning messages when the computer could no longer sense the lights. The DRLs should be controllable through the head unit, or with Jscan.
You are correct sir. I found the light menu under settings. Will try it out tonight and see how it looks. Thank you.

Sponsored

samw5

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Billet Silver Gladiator Rubicon
ya Tazer mini and you can map that to a quick access button... black out mode (that's a live feature so your tazer needs to be connected).

ShastaJT6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willy`s JT
I am 100% on board with this, anything to help avoid spooking the gobblers. If you do sort out a solution for this Im curious.

OP
OP
peterpilot379

peterpilot379

First Name
Star
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Mojave Gladiator
Occupation
Pirate
So I Ops tested turning off the DRLs yesterday morning and it makes a big difference. The main headlights do still emit a small round ring of light around the perimeter of the main bulb but it’s very dim and is actually pretty perfect for providing just enough light to see the road when it’s no moon dark. While not 100% blacked out, it will suffice for now. Will get a picture this evening of what’s lit up in this configuration.

sarguy1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
did you swap your headlights ? When i disable my DRL I have nothing on in the front at all. Only lights is from brake when i hit the pedal.

OP
OP
peterpilot379

peterpilot379

First Name
Star
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Mojave Gladiator
Occupation
Pirate
did you swap your headlights ? When i disable my DRL I have nothing on in the front at all. Only lights is from brake when i hit the pedal.
No they are stock LED but I think they are on because the light switch is in the parking light position. I have to run in that position because when the switch is completely off, the interior lights go full bright and light up the cab interior like Ft. Knox which kinda makes it tough to see where I’m going.
Sponsored