Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Beater trucks and fast motorcycles
Occupation
Engineer
UAY3LCl.jpg

I flew into Dallas (DFW) on Monday night around 9:00pm. I had a long week coming up, I had an 8:00AM meeting in Camden Arkansas Tuesday morning- its a 5 hour drive Ive made many times.
When headed to the Avis my name wasnt on the preferred board so I had to take a little detour to get my car.

Imagine my surprise when I saw 4 Jeep Gladiator’s on the lot!

When I approached the counter I learned I had a Toyota Corolla waiting on me- I asked for a Gladiator and the lady was excited to let me swap for one.
I was pretty happy knowing how much driving I would be doing in the next week. My Gladiator was Silver with a soft top and a full 7 miles on the clock.
XiQ6sK6.jpg

aiqDWfq.jpg

I left the airport and decided to try and drop the top, it was a clear night with a big moon and the temp was around 78-80 degrees outside.
I cruised up the interstate to Hope, AR and put the top on- which was fortunate. Arkansas was getting the rain from hurricane Barry and it was raining hard with lots of flooding. The road between Hope and Camden is a twisty 2 lane highway that is worn down by logging trucks and the rain doesn’t make it any more pleasant to use. The Gladiator took it in stride- I was really impressed with how good the soft top is.

The next afternoon before leaving Camden to head back down to TX I stopped and took a photo with the swollen Quitchita river.

AGgf7Bi.jpg

Shortly after passing back into TX the rain quit but I was tired from a long few days so I chose to spend the night in Texarkana instead of heading all the way back to Dallas. I toon a power nap then did a little exploring and found the Atlanta Stare park- which made for a nice sunset with the Gladiator next to a nice lake.
Qk4Y8TI.jpg

DFCQZaA.jpg

Wednesday evening I shot a USPSA match and it was a bit of dirt road with s little mud to get to the range- I did my best to capitalize on that and got the jeep a little dirty because it seemed like the right thing to do.
khX8Yxh.jpg

Speaking of shooting I needed to know about the rear storage- a rifle definitely fits under the back seat. i found the back seat pretty clever actually.
wZGneW5.jpg

Taking the Gladiator to a shooting range - well it drew lots of attention as this is a pretty outdoors prone crowd. Everyone wanted to crawl through it and take pictures.
Thursday I went to lunch with my old boss and we took the Gladiator- He loved it & he even asked to drive it back from lunch- He is heading to the dealership on Saturday. I expect he will buy one.
The indicator had it at 17.1 MPG when I turned in the keys & read 906 miles.
Not a single hickup or issue- I had the soft top on and off 3 or 4 times and everything was really night and the Gladiator ran great.

For me after 900 miles I would say its a pickup that is greater than the sum of its parts. People love it and it got lots of compliments, and I was really quite content with the Sport S. I would say the base radio (display specifically) is antiquated and I will spring for an upgrade there.
utga12h.jpg

Good times so I thought I would share.
Sponsored

Matstock4

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU, 2017 Toyota Sienna, 1989 Turbo Trans Am
UAY3LCl.jpg

I flew into Dallas (DFW) on Monday night around 9:00pm. I had a long week coming up, I had an 8:00AM meeting in Camden Arkansas Tuesday morning- its a 5 hour drive Ive made many times.
When headed to the Avis my name wasnt on the preferred board so I had to take a little detour to get my car.

When I approached the counter I learned I had a Toyota Corolla waiting on me- I asked for a Gladiator and the lady was excited to let me swap for one.
I was pretty happy knowing how much driving I would be doing in the next week. My Gladiator was Silver with a soft top and a full 7 miles on the clock.
XiQ6sK6.jpg

aiqDWfq.jpg

I left the airport and decided to try and drop the top, it was a clear night with a big moon and the temp was around 78-80 degrees outside.
I cruised up the interstate to Hope, AR and put the top on- which was fortunate. Arkansas was getting the rain from hurricane Barry and it was raining hard with lots of flooding. The road between Hope and Camden is a twisty 2 lane highway that is worn down by logging trucks and the rain doesn’t make it any more pleasant to use. The Gladiator took it in stride- I was really impressed with how good the soft top is.

The next afternoon before leaving Camden to head back down to TX I stopped and took a photo with the swollen Quitchita river.

AGgf7Bi.jpg

Shortly after passing back into TX the rain quit but I was tired from a long few days so I chose to spend the night in Texarkana instead of heading all the way back to Dallas. I toon a power nap then did a little exploring and found the Atlanta Stare park- which made for a nice sunset with the Gladiator next to a nice lake.
Qk4Y8TI.jpg

DFCQZaA.jpg

Wednesday evening I shot a USPSA match and it was a bit of dirt road with s little mud to get to the range- I did my best to capitalize on that and got the jeep a little dirty because it seemed like the right thing to do.
khX8Yxh.jpg

Speaking of shooting I needed to know about the rear storage- a rifle definitely fits under the back seat. i found the back seat pretty clever actually.
wZGneW5.jpg

Taking the Gladiator to a shooting range - well it drew lots of attention as this is a pretty outdoors prone crowd. Everyone wanted to crawl through it and take pictures.
Thursday I went to lunch with my old boss and we took the Gladiator- He loved it & he even asked to drive it back from lunch- He is heading to the dealership on Saturday. I expect he will buy one.
Not a single hickup or issue- I had the soft top on and off 3 or 4 times and everything was really night and the Gladiator ran great.

For me after 900 miles I would say its a pickup that is greater than the sum of its parts. People love it and it got lots of compliments, and I was really quite content with the Sport S. I would say the base radio (display specifically) is antiquated and I will spring for an upgrade there.
utga12h.jpg

Looks like you're having a little more fun than you would with that Corolla!! :CWL:

Jeepdude413

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Gladiator
Occupation
Job.... always got a job...
UAY3LCl.jpg

XiQ6sK6.jpg

aiqDWfq.jpg

AGgf7Bi.jpg

Qk4Y8TI.jpg

DFCQZaA.jpg

khX8Yxh.jpg

wZGneW5.jpg

utga12h.jpg

Great story. I too have experimented with the storage of my toys under the seat and found it satisfying as to exactly what and where certain items fit. Glad to hear you enjoyed the JT. I know i do mine.

ClawSS

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GMC Sierra, 2010 Camaro. 2009 300C SRT8, 2004 Silverado
Off to search for a close to me rental......BBL.

I wonder if that falls under Standard Recreational or Mid-Size pickup?

Last edited:

Sponsored

BradWatson8541

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Chevy Silverado to be traded for a JT
Great read, love hearing peoples real world experiences with the truck, and damn lucky you got one to rent!

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Nice. I'm heading to Denver for work next month I wonder if they will have any for rent there.

JT614

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator Overland '14 JGC Summit '04 TJ Rubi
Vehicle Showcase
@Warbirds What was the daily rental rate for the JT? I would imagine people would pay a premium for that, but maybe it's treated like any other truck.

OP
OP

Warbirds

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Beater trucks and fast motorcycles
Occupation
Engineer
Unfortunately its not really apples to apples. I rent 2-3 cars a month from Avis so they generally give me anything I ask for. I paid $27/day with unlimited milage- but that was the rate for the Toyota Corolla they were going to give me.

@Warbirds What was the daily rental rate for the JT? I would imagine people would pay a premium for that, but maybe it's treated like any other truck.

Sponsored

JT614

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator Overland '14 JGC Summit '04 TJ Rubi
Vehicle Showcase
Unfortunately its not really apples to apples. I rent 2-3 cars a month from Avis so they generally give me anything I ask for. I paid $27/day with unlimited milage- but that was the rate for the Toyota Corolla they were going to give me.
Good deal!

DenverGladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ stock, manual, over-sized tires, soft top, half doors
Great write up. Next time do a similar trip with the Corolla ... drive through hurricane rains, take it to the shooting range, explore state parks. That would make for an interesting review as well.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
Great read! Automatic upgrade!!!!

3e07487803195d6cbe5766ef2cf9e4ce.jpg