Sponsored

Axle Shaft Swap & FAD Delete

FLUndertaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport, 1986 Jeep CJ7
Will be regearing to either 4.88 or 5.13 and adding lockers. Haven’t finalized decision on which ratio but leaning towards 5.13 to make my 37s play nice with my auto trans. While that work is being done it seems to make sense to add RCV axle shafts and delete the FAD. Anyone have first hand experience on the pros and cons of deleting it? I didn’t buy my glad for fuel economy so if it drops 1-2 mpg I don’t care. Thoughts on the upgraded shafts or are they just burning a $1400 pile of cash?
Sponsored

Last edited:

gotswap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Are you talking about adding the RCV Axles?

gotswap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
They make FAD compatible, why not just stick with that?

All backed with a Lifetime Warranty against breakage up to a 43" tire.

OP
OP
FLUndertaker

FLUndertaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport, 1986 Jeep CJ7
They make FAD compatible, why not just stick with that?

All backed with a Lifetime Warranty against breakage up to a 43" tire.
The FAD just seems like a weak link created for no other reason than to wring out every Possible ounce of MPG for the sake of the environmental bean counting weenies. If I am wrong I am open to correction.

Sponsored

unixxx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave, Grand Cherokee SRT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
The FAD just seems like a weak link created for no other reason than to wring out every Possible ounce of MPG for the sake of the environmental bean counting weenies. If I am wrong I am open to correction.
The FAD also eliminates any front driveshaft vibration in 2WD. Correcting the caster when lifting worsens the front pinion angle, increasing the possibiltiy of front driveshaft vibration.

jnack

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTD
i would not recommend it. my FAD broke in the locked position acting like a FAD delete & the driveline vibrations are real. would be fine if you never plan to drive over 60 mph.....

IanNubbit

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL 2 Door Sport 6MT & 2022 JT 6MT Sport
Occupation
Mopar Dealer Tech
i would not recommend it. my FAD broke in the locked position acting like a FAD delete & the driveline vibrations are real. would be fine if you never plan to drive over 60 mph.....
I disabled my FAD. (Dealer software allows this, i also belive Tazer can? Could be a lie) have for about 25k miles have never had a driveline vibration.

unixxx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
I disabled my FAD. (Dealer software allows this, i also belive Tazer can? Could be a lie) have for about 25k miles have never had a driveline vibration.
Same, zero driveline vibration from 0-80+ in 4H Auto.

2.5" lift, 37 BFG KO2's, AEV geometry correction brackets on middle hole in front, Teraflex geometry correction brackets in rear.

Not sure what the caster actually is. Steers fine.

Already have Dana collar and Cavfab plate to install FAD delete at same time as lockers.

Sponsored

jnack

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTD
would depend on front driveline angles. I'm running 4" lift in the front with about 6.5 degrees of caster

JTR178

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Occupation
5-0
Same, zero driveline vibration from 0-80+ in 4H Auto.

2.5" lift, 37 BFG KO2's, AEV geometry correction brackets on middle hole in front, Teraflex geometry correction brackets in rear.

Not sure what the caster actually is. Steers fine.

Already have Dana collar and Cavfab plate to install FAD delete at same time as lockers.
That's now how that works. That option on the Tazer is for when you replace the axle with one without FAD or physically remove the FAD. It's just preventing the computer for looking for it. You're not sensing any vibration because the FAD is still disconnected.

unixxx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
That's now how that works. That option on the Tazer is for when you replace the axle with one without FAD or physically remove the FAD. It's just preventing the computer for looking for it. You're not sensing any vibration because the FAD is still disconnected.
The FAD is not disconnected in 4Hi Auto. The clutch in the transfer case needs to engage in milliseconds when the rear wheels slip. The FAD is too slow to engage that quickly.

JTR178

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Occupation
5-0
The FAD is not disconnected in 4Hi Auto. The clutch in the transfer case needs to engage in milliseconds when the rear wheels slip. The FAD is too slow to engage that quickly.
Were you in 2H when you disabled the FAD?

Edit: I'm not well versed on the 4Hi Auto so I went down a bit of a rabbit hole and can't find confirmation one way or the other wat the FAD does in that mode.

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
I think he was referring to the guy that turned it off with the tazer. All he did was make his jeep a 3wheel drive as the fad is always disengaged
Sponsored