Sponsored

Backup Camera - Plate lights and screen brightness severely impair outside visibility

Spcbl1

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Mojave, 1997 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
Occupation
IT Director
I know it has been brought up many times about the license plate lights washing out the image in the backup camera. But has anyone else noticed that the screen itself reverts to daytime brightness when in reverse and backup camera mode? Am I the only one that finds this to be extremely dangerous?? As all visibility inside the cabin is impaired, including to the the side mirrors unless you have the windows down.
I have the Tazer installed which helps a little by turning the plate lights off in reverse, but it does nothing for the screen brightness. It also creates a headache everytime I need to bring the truck in for service etc. having to unmarry/marry. And most recently the truck started throwing a code because the truck cannot communicate with the security module (the part you disconnect when installing the Tazer). The only reason I have the Tazer is to be able to see when I backup at night. I could live without it if Jeep would just fix this through a simple software update.
I know I am ranting, but has anyone figured out how to dim the screen when in backup camera mode at night, as well as another way to darken the plate lights. I would love to not have to rely on the Tazer.
@JeepCares does Jeep have any intention on fixing this major safety issue? You literally cannot see out of any windows when backing up in the stock configuration due to the plate lights and the screen brightness.
Sponsored

jac04

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2014 JKRX SWB
You can adjust the daytime screen brightness. I have it turned down, and I don't notice the screen being too bright at night when backing up.

Casique

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HA Gladiator, 2011 FLHX, 2022 MDX
OP, I agree, at night my backup camera is useless and it totally impairs all around visibility due to brightness.

81Mojave

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2010 JKU
Occupation
Transportation
It would be nice if you could digitally black out the area around the lights
Definitely an oversight in design

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Mine doesn't do this. However, have your tried turning off the screen?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Spcbl1

Spcbl1

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Director
Mine doesn't do this. However, have your tried turning off the screen?
I would like to use the screen in conjunction with my windows and mirrors. But I could try that when backing up in darker areas. Thanks

OP
OP
Spcbl1

Spcbl1

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Director
You can adjust the daytime screen brightness. I have it turned down, and I don't notice the screen being too bright at night when backing up.
But how does that impact screen visibility during daylight use? DO you have to keep adjusting brightness between daytime and nighttime?

Dan in Pasadena

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
I have no problem at all with the backup camera in mine even at night. Perfectly clear and grammatically better image than the one in my now-departed 2014 GMC 2500 Denali, which had top of the line camera back then.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
I have no problem at all with the backup camera in mine even at night. Perfectly clear and grammatically better image than the one in my now-departed 2014 GMC 2500 Denali, which had top of the line camera back then.
I have no problems either. I wonder if it has to do with the license plate itself. Maybe some state's plates cause more glare than others.

TimC

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator , 2021 Wrangler
Occupation
Telecom
Is it a blurry white-washed out?
That’s when I know to wipe-off the lens.

Sponsored

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
You literally cannot see out of any windows when backing up in the stock configuration due to the plate lights and the screen brightness.
Maybe post a picture so we can see what issues you are having.

jac04

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2014 JKRX SWB
But how does that impact screen visibility during daylight use? DO you have to keep adjusting brightness between daytime and nighttime?
No, you can adjust the two brightness levels independently. From the manual:

Jeep Gladiator Backup Camera - Plate lights and screen brightness severely impair outside visibility 1639401952527

Jeep Gladiator Backup Camera - Plate lights and screen brightness severely impair outside visibility 1639401997304

Last edited:

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT, 2013 Volvo XC90, 2003 LR Disco
Occupation
Liquor Attorney. So not all bad...
Your screen is grammatically better? How do I get the grammar feature? Tazer? 😁

OP
OP
Spcbl1

Spcbl1

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Director
No, you can adjust the two brightness levels independently. From the manual:

Jeep Gladiator Backup Camera - Plate lights and screen brightness severely impair outside visibility 1639401997304

Thanks! I will try that and see how it works out.
who would’ve known RTFM…..
Sponsored