Sponsored

Bad news from my dealer. Jeep arrived with issue.

wooderson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan
After waiting just under 2 months my Gladiator was in and I suppose to take delivery on the 1/25. Just got a call that after they inspected it at the dealer the Jeep thinks it's in 4 wheel drive when it is not. This seems to be an interment problem. How it left Toledo with this problem who knows.

My fist thought is to not except this vehicle as I have not signed anything for it and only have $1,0000 deposit tied up. They said they have opened up a case for it with Jeep and hope to have it fixed.

Any advise? I'm pissed of right now so want to make sure I make the right choice.
Sponsored

OP
OP
wooderson

wooderson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan
Still waiting on a call fro the general manger? I'm sure they will say they can fix it. But I feel I shouldn't except a vehicle that starts life with problems.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
If it were me, it would depend on what they find, and how it was repaired. Could be SIMPLE - a switch, for example, telling it one thing instead of the other. Could be a motor not moving all the way one way or another, replace that part, done deal.
So IMO, it depends - on what the problem is and what the fix is.
If it's simple, no biggy, if it could be solved and you know then it was solved for good.
Sometimes problems that appear big aren't at all - other times, they are truly big.
If it was something very complex = like some are experiencing with the engine, a noise, a code, and it's been worked on a couple of times already and it's still an issue, then I'd have to really think about it.
But if they can find THE issue, and it's a part to replace - it's not going to be a problem going forward.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds to me like it's going to not be a big deal. Even at that - so what if they replace the transfer case. It's still under full factory warranty. Problems are like steering issues unresolved for months, engine issues where it kicks a code and they keep swapping parts and it's still got problems, I'll be this is simple.
A lot worse happens. Ask those with HVAC issues the dealers can't figure out, or steering issues they can't figure out, engine misses the dealers have worked on twice - replaced rockers and lifters and it's still not right. Those are problems to be upset about.
I'd wait to be upset - save the energy. In this case it was caught FAST, and the dealer apparently did what they are supposed to do - instead of dealers who send them out hardly even looked at, tire pressure totally wrong, and worse.
You are lucky you have a dealer who bothers to check.

OP
OP
wooderson

wooderson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan
No doubt I'm lucky to have them catch it. Fact remains it's a new vehicle that started life with an issue. That bothers me.
My sales guy said something about how he was surprised it had a problem cause it had a "A1" ?? sticker on it meaning it was tested further at the factory and arrived with 30 miles on it. Not sure what all that means.

Sponsored

OP
OP
wooderson

wooderson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan
Update:
They hope it's just a sensor or a fuse issue. They have offered me a 7 year 100,000 Mopar Max Care warranty for no charge. He said it's the same as the 3 year 36,000 factory warranty.

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
If they truly fix it and they give you a chance to drive it around a bit to generate confidence and they throw in the warranty, I give it a thumbs up!

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Let me ask this then - let's say that it was fine when they received it, and you take it and drive it two weeks, go into 4H for a ways, then back to 2H and all seems fine.
Then you realize - it thinks it's still in 4H but it's not, you take it in, they fix the issue - it's a sensor, would you tell them you no longer want it?

I'm with Factoid - I think this is not a huge thing compared to what COULD be. IF they fix it, then where's the problem?

In a way I wish they had found something like that with mine - I'd take the warranty with a huge smile - and smile all the way home with it.

What if - what if it had this issue, they caught it at the factory, they replaced the transfer case, or the front axle, or a shift motor, or a sensor or a switch, and recheck it and send it to the dealer - does this never happen?

How does anyone know their truck was perfect from frame to finish and passed inspection with perfection, zero issues, no one caught so much as a loose bolt during the build process?

OP
OP
wooderson

wooderson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan
Let me ask this then - let's say that it was fine when they received it, and you take it and drive it two weeks, go into 4H for a ways, then back to 2H and all seems fine.
Then you realize - it thinks it's still in 4H but it's not, you take it in, they fix the issue - it's a sensor, would you tell them you no longer want it?

I'm with Factoid - I think this is not a huge thing compared to what COULD be. IF they fix it, then where's the problem?

In a way I wish they had found something like that with mine - I'd take the warranty with a huge smile - and smile all the way home with it.

What if - what if it had this issue, they caught it at the factory, they replaced the transfer case, or the front axle, or a shift motor, or a sensor or a switch, and recheck it and send it to the dealer - does this never happen?

How does anyone know their truck was perfect from frame to finish and passed inspection with perfection, zero issues, no one caught so much as a loose bolt during the build process?
Oh I hear what your saying this could work out to my benefit.
In your scenario I couldn’t tell them I didn’t want as I would of had it for two weeks.At this point I can though since i don’t own it. That’s why I wonder what I should do.

ZTMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150, 2016 JKU WW
I would be disappointed to but it appears the dealer is trying to do you right. I would give them a time window to get the issue resolved, and if they do , great.

You say the jeep thinks it is in 4wd when it is not. Do you know what happens when the jeep is actually shifted to 4wd?

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I would be disappointed to but it appears the dealer is trying to do you right. I would give them a time window to get the issue resolved, and if they do , great.

You say the jeep thinks it is in 4wd when it is not. Do you know what happens when the jeep is actually shifted to 4wd?
That's a good question - one I suspect the dealership will know - and use to diagnose the issue.

Frankly - I'd not do a thing - nothing at this time. Why? Why worry about it now. I'd wait until they find the problem and go from there.
Why ask for trouble before it presents itself.

When they find the issue, and propose the fix - then make a decision.
At this point there's nothing to decide or know.

OP
OP
wooderson

wooderson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan

That’s a good question and one I asked the manger. He said he didn’t know and he just wanted to fix the first problem before they moved onto seeing how everything else worked.
In case it would damage anything.
His words.

OP
OP
wooderson

wooderson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan
Since I have the day free tomorrow cause I thought I was picking up my Jeep. I might make the hour drive anyways just to check it out in person. Might not be a bad idea to get a first hand look at it before they attempt to fix it.

OP
OP
wooderson

wooderson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan
After calling them Saturday they said let’s not panic yet. They would give me an update Monday.
Well Monday came and went with no update.
I have a loan with the fist payment due 2/10 but no Jeep.
This sucks.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
If it's randomly in/out of 4 wheel drive, my bet is that the FAD (front axle disconnect) is improperly installed or faulty. It's likely not a big deal. I'd take that deal with the 7 year/100k warranty with a smile on my face! Even if it's not the FAD, they can replace the transfer case easy peasy if they end up needing to.
Sponsored