Bad seal on mopar oil filter

Beowulf85

First Name
Brant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Gladiator sport s
I did an oil change the other day. I hand tightened the filter. The rubber gasket for the filter must of been bad because oil was bubbling out onto engine while tire shop was test driving. It made it's way all the way down the top and inside bell housing. The tire shop sprayed brake cleaner on engine but when I got home a shit ton of oil was still dripping out underneath and from.the plugs under bell housing.if break cleaner got into bell housing will it hurt the bearings of the automatic clutch? Also can I rinse the bell housing out through drain holes?
Sponsored

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
The o-ring likely wasn’t put in the groove correctly on the housing cap. Did you re-seat it? Brake cleaner should not hurt anything on your transmission bell housing, but I don’t know if there might be some electrical connections in there...

Commodus

First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue Gladiator, BMW X3
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Ev
I did an oil change the other day. I hand tightened the filter. The rubber gasket for the filter must of been bad because oil was bubbling out onto engine while tire shop was test driving. It made it's way all the way down the top and inside bell housing. The tire shop sprayed brake cleaner on engine but when I got home a shit ton of oil was still dripping out underneath and from.the plugs under bell housing.if break cleaner got into bell housing will it hurt the bearings of the automatic clutch? Also can I rinse the bell housing out through drain holes?
Everything around the torque converter is sealed, might have a crank sensor back there but oil or brake clean should not affect. Did you torque the filter, may have cracked housing if not.

OP
OP
Beowulf85

Beowulf85

First Name
Brant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Gladiator sport s
The o-ring likely wasn’t put in the groove correctly on the housing cap. Did you re-seat it? Brake cleaner should not hurt anything on your transmission bell housing, but I don’t know if there might be some electrical connections in there...
Tire shop said they fixed it but when truck was idling I could see bubbles coming out of oil filter gap. I changed the filter and the old o ring was slightly bigger then new one. Good to know the bell house is tight oil prob came down around the outside and rested on rubber drain plugs.

OP
OP
Beowulf85

Beowulf85

First Name
Brant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Gladiator sport s
Ev

Everything around the torque converter is sealed, might have a crank sensor back there but oil or brake clean should not affect. Did you torque the filter, may have cracked housing if not.
Oil must have been settling near the drain plugs of the bell housing then. I covered the alternator , battery and avoided the fuse box and rinsed the engine off cold. Ton of shit came out. I lost a little more then a quart on the engine. No I tightened the new filter and so far so good. What's the torque rating for the oil filter cap? I used to hand tighten the metal filter in my jk.

Sponsored

Commodus

First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue Gladiator, BMW X3
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Oil must have been settling near the drain plugs of the bell housing then. I covered the alternator , battery and avoided the fuse box and rinsed the engine off cold. Ton of shit came out. I lost a little more then a quart on the engine. No I tightened the new filter and so far so good. What's the torque rating for the oil filter cap? I used to hand tighten the metal filter in my jk.
Torque for filter is 25NM

OP
OP
Beowulf85

Beowulf85

First Name
Brant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Gladiator sport s
Thanks for the help guys