Sponsored

Badge of Honor Trails

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
What level of Badge trails can a stock non-Rubicon do? Assuming better off-road tires if not bigger than 32” (approx stock size)?

What trails have you done and what was the configuration of your rig at the time?

Looks like the only ones I could get to are

Trail 3x and 5 - Redbird SRA in Indiana
Trail 16 26 and 51 in Windrock Park TN
Sponsored

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@CarolinaGladiator has been to Windrock. Peters mill in Va is very easy for a gladiator. If you come to NC we will get you down Dickey Bell.
Peters Mill in VA isnt listed as a Badge of Honor Trail on Jeep’s app

Dickey Bell in the Uwharri National Forest is an 8.5h drive (non-stop) for me.

TN is only 4h

But I DO want to get some badges. And I will be doing them stock Sport

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Chevy Tahoe, 2006 Jeep Liberty
Peters Mill in VA isnt listed as a Badge of Honor Trail on Jeep’s app

Dickey Bell in the Uwharri National Forest is an 8.5h drive (non-stop) for me.

TN is only 4h

But I DO want to get some badges. And I will be doing them stock Sport
hmm. Peters mill is a badge trail. I have the badge to prove it.

You can do Hurricane Creek and camp out and then come down to Dickey Bell. If you are interested PM me.

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Chevy Tahoe, 2006 Jeep Liberty
Some friends are going to Beasley in Ga in March. PM me if you are interested and I’ll hook you up with them.

CarolinaGladiator

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 High Velocity JTR
@CarolinaGladiator has been to Windrock. Peters mill in Va is very easy for a gladiator. If you come to NC we will get you down Dickey Bell.
Hell we'll get him UP Dickey Bell! If you make the drive, we'll it happen both ways if you want.

You can do 26 and 51 at Windrock easy. 16 will be tough at stock height, probably impossible without winching. I'm on 35s with 2.5" of lift and I still had to winch 16 in two spots (would have been just 1 but I try not to take the bypass if at all possible). I also busted my steering stabilizer.

Beasley Knob is not far from Windrock if you can find time to hit it while you're there. It closes due to weather so check before you go.

Oscar Indy

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Website
offmapoverland.com
Vehicle(s)
JTR
Ill be doing all the ones near big bear the 3rd or 4th. Ive already got 7 of these things on order.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I'd have to drive across a couple of states and a day's time just to get to any. I guess corn mazes don't count LOL
Nothing around the bluffs area or Dubuque where I'd expect something. Just as well, not sure the higher 3.73 gears would be well suited for rough stuff.

Sponsored

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'd have to drive across a couple of states and a day's time just to get to any. I guess corn mazes don't count LOL
Nothing around the bluffs area or Dubuque where I'd expect something. Just as well, not sure the higher 3.73 gears would be well suited for rough stuff.
Well you are making a trip to IN, you can kill 3 birds with one stone by going to the Redbird trail, wait or does that name make it 4 birds? :CWL:

12BNNT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
gearing won’t hold ya back much in 4low. I had 3.73 gears on my JKU and 3.21’s on the 2 dr JK. Had to give it a little more skinny pedal than the guys with 4.11’s a few times but the low range of the transfer case closes the gap quite a bit. Biggest set back for a sport or overland would be the open diff and street tires. That said, both my JKU and JK were sports with the trackloc limited slip rear that I put a set of M/T’s on for off road and they did fine on Jamboree trails rated 5 or 6 (and a couple 5’s in a downpour that made them more like a 7) when picking a good line.

People knock the Jamborees because of the price but for someone new to Jeeps, it’s a good place to test it out (with lots of help around if you need it) and be amazed at what a Jeep can do (even bone stock)

If a Jamboree isn’t your thing, find someone familiar with the trails you’re going to that can guide you down the best line and give ya a tug if you get stuck.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Well you are making a trip to IN, you can kill 3 birds with one stone by going to the Redbird trail, wait or does that name make it 4 birds? :CWL:
Will have a load in the back both ways - not good for anything but level roads - bummer. Will be coming in on I80 - the north end - Gary, South Bend, Elkhart, heading to Fort Wayne.
(I avoid the Indianapolis areas at all costs. Those highways have huge chunks missing, I mean boulder size pieces busted out and laying on the highway! Not to mention the drivers think they are in the track.)

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
gearing won’t hold ya back much in 4low. I had 3.73 gears on my JKU and 3.21’s on the 2 dr JK. Had to give it a little more skinny pedal than the guys with 4.11’s a few times but the low range of the transfer case closes the gap quite a bit. Biggest set back for a sport or overland would be the open diff and street tires. That said, both my JKU and JK were sports with the trackloc limited slip rear that I put a set of M/T’s on for off road and they did fine on Jamboree trails rated 5 or 6 (and a couple 5’s in a downpour that made them more like a 7) when picking a good line.

People knock the Jamborees because of the price but for someone new to Jeeps, it’s a good place to test it out (with lots of help around if you need it) and be amazed at what a Jeep can do (even bone stock)

If a Jamboree isn’t your thing, find someone familiar with the trails you’re going to that can guide you down the best line and give ya a tug if you get stuck.
Good info.
Well, since I know zero, zip, about a "Jamboree", what it is, how it works, what it costs, or whatever, I absolutely can't comment.
Don't know what they cost - but I know other events and it costs to put things together, marketing, advertising, organization, securing the location, whatever. I guess it's all in what's important to the person going or not going.

My Overland has the limited slip rear. I just put on Rubicon wheels and Falken A/T tires last week.
I noticed it does help in snow working with the traction control.
I had to laugh when I got it stuck in my driveway in an inch of wet snow.
I had backed into our turnaround area, was driving out, it was spinning almost all the way up -then stopped moving and started to slide sideways and backwards. I got it stopped and put it in 4H and drove out. Maybe there was ice under there - it's Iowa. Just leaving home can be an adventure!

20200124_112306.jpg

MarineHawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
It's odd to me that they have Peter's Mill Road as the only badge of honor in VA. You don't even need to put a vehicle in 4WD to do that one.

I think Potts Mountain Jeep Road is the only really challenging public-land off-roading in Virginia. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zZMOt4_W6k

The Cove is great when Big Dogs is doing an event there.

I’m going to be going in March with a local group to Rausch Creek—about 3-hours away in Pennsylvania.

zanAGCL.jpg

zuWbKzy.jpg

wWGNaPz.jpg
Sponsored