Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Looking for some feedback since you guys are smarter than I am. My goal was to wire up my two BD LP6 lights in such a way that the following is true:
1) When the headlights come one, the backlit amber of the LP6's come on. So that's a backlight trigger.
2) When I turn my brights on, I want to power the low beams of the LP6s with them. I think the LP6 high beams would be way too much to combine with the Jeep's high beams. That's the low beam trigger.
3) I want to hit my AUX 1 switch in the Jeep and the LP6's come on full power regardless of what they were previously doing. (I don't want to have to hit two buttons, just one.)
4) The most important I guess, is that the LP6 low and high sides can't be powered at the same time to prevent damage.

I chose some relays off of Amazon called Nilight 50044R Waterproof 40/30 amp ones since they were not only waterproof, but they were all 12 awg wiring on all legs. I'm using 4 relays to complete all the logic of the connections. This was the simplest and most efficient layout I could think of to achieve it. (I didn't put any fuses in the diagram as that's a given.)

My question is, did I make it too complicated for all I wanted to do? Or is there an even more simple way to do it. And also, any obvious mistakes in what I created? The colored dots are the wire colors for this particular relay socket.

Jeep Gladiator Baja Designs LP6 wiring idea JeepLP6wirin
Sponsored

OP
OP
KHam

KHam

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Just an update in case it helps someone. With the help of a friend on the logic, I was able to eliminate one of the relays and simplify the design a bit and still do everything I wanted.

Jeep Gladiator Baja Designs LP6 wiring idea JeepLP6wiring_v2

coreoski

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Test Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Hey there - I just started researching LP6s for my own rig and this sounds almost exactly what I'd love to do as well. I'd be able to live without the low beams coming on with the factory high beams though, as I think the LP6 high beams include all LEDs and I usually like full control of things like that.

Were you able to have any luck down this path? Would love to hear what the end result was if so!

OP
OP
KHam

KHam

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Hey there - I just started researching LP6s for my own rig and this sounds almost exactly what I'd love to do as well. I'd be able to live without the low beams coming on with the factory high beams though, as I think the LP6 high beams include all LEDs and I usually like full control of things like that.

Were you able to have any luck down this path? Would love to hear what the end result was if so!
Yeah, this worked out awesome for me. I love this setup and it's very reliable. If you buy the wiring harness from Baja Designs, and the same relays I bought above, which were weatherproof ones. All the wiring colors will match and are noted above. I followed this exactly and it works perfectly. My AUX 1 switch turns on the LP6 highs which is all the LP6 lights, and will do this regardless of what other configuration is active as it overrides. And LP6 lows come on when I turn my vehicle brights on which is more than enough light to completely fill in close to the Jeep. Absolutely love this setup.

IslandFalconer

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator, BMW R9T, BMW X4M40i
Occupation
Falconer
I was just about to say you could eliminate one relay, than I scrolled down to your second post.

Sponsored

coreoski

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Test Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, this worked out awesome for me. I love this setup and it's very reliable. If you buy the wiring harness from Baja Designs, and the same relays I bought above, which were weatherproof ones. All the wiring colors will match and are noted above. I followed this exactly and it works perfectly. My AUX 1 switch turns on the LP6 highs which is all the LP6 lights, and will do this regardless of what other configuration is active as it overrides. And LP6 lows come on when I turn my vehicle brights on which is more than enough light to completely fill in close to the Jeep. Absolutely love this setup.
Awesome to hear! Really appreciate you sharing your diagram and work!

What did you use for your low beam trigger? A high beam headlight fuse perhaps?

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
Should in theory work. Other lights do similar.

clear water does adjustable power run to the high beam switch for max (or whatever you set)

my heretic studio lights on my motorbike:

day time = drl
night time = low beam + lightbar @ 20%
high beam = low beam, high beam, light bar and pods @ 100%

OP
OP
KHam

KHam

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Awesome to hear! Really appreciate you sharing your diagram and work!

What did you use for your low beam trigger? A high beam headlight fuse perhaps?
For a trigger, I just pulled the plug out from the back of the headlight on the passenger side, turned on the high beams to figure out which wire was the high beam one, and used a simple tap on it. The relay draws very little for the trigger so that worked well for me.

Waggs

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 1967 Kaiser Jeepster
Occupation
Software Developer
I'm "watching" this for a TBD install date. Where did you tuck the relays?

Byrnesy

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Power Plant Operator
KHAm did you tap at the headlight block or use a 'add a tap fuse' back in the fuse box?

Sponsored

OP
OP
KHam

KHam

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
KHAm did you tap at the headlight block or use a 'add a tap fuse' back in the fuse box?
Close to the headlight connector. I used a meter to determine which wire was hot when brights were turned on, and used that as a trigger wire for the relay since the amount of power to trigger the relay is so small. I don't remember off hand which color wire it was... maybe white or gray. I just used a simple tap on that wire.

It sounds like what I did with this circuit is very much like you're asking. The low beams of the LP6's are independent and go on and off with the highs automatically. I have AUX1 in my Jeep to turn the LP6's fully on anytime I want regardless if I'm running my highs or lows. I current have the amber backlight of the LP6's run through AUX3 which I can turn on or off at will, but have AUX3 configured to come on with ignition in the Jeep settings. I may just use the DRLs as the trigger for that and move it off of AUX3. Simple enough. For me it's a cool setup and it works flawlessly. I keep a spare relay with me in case one of them fails as they're very cheap and handy to have. All the wires are soldered in so should be reliable.

cmb396

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I should be getting my LP6 in the next month or so, and going to run the High and low to my aux.
Was wondering if I could just tap the backlight into my low headlight power so they come on when the headlights do?
I never use my high beams, as my lows and BD fogs give me plenty of light.
Let me know, thanks!

OP
OP
KHam

KHam

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I should be getting my LP6 in the next month or so, and going to run the High and low to my aux.
Was wondering if I could just tap the backlight into my low headlight power so they come on when the headlights do?
I never use my high beams, as my lows and BD fogs give me plenty of light.
Let me know, thanks!
I would think that would work fine. Those backlights are not very bright so I can't imagine them drawing much power. The question is always will it draw enough power to trigger the computer into thinking there's something wrong in the circuit. I would think in this case it would not. Happens a lot though when people plug in brighter backup lights and splice them into the existing backup light power. If your vehicle has the LED lights it may be more sensitive to power draw changes. Relays only need about 175mA to actuate so they're very good for tapping low power and sensitive circuits.
Personally I use relays as they isolate the additional devices being powered from the source, is easier to fuse, and you don't have problems if the other devices develop a short circuit or something like that. Which in your case could kill your headlights will driving.
Sponsored