Sponsored

Banks tuner

Karnaj

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Town & Country, 2002 Camry, 2003 Grand Am, 2021 Deisel JTR.
Occupation
Union Electrician
If this end up getting CARB compliance, I may look at it, since it doesn't sound like GDE will. I'd prefer the GDE tune.

Steven_B

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
aroundthenw.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 WK2, 2001 XJ, 1993 YJ, 2021 JT EcoDiesel
Occupation
Digital Marketing Manager
Nice! Of course, I just installed a Scangauge and idrive, which both features are essentially built into the banks. Too bad, they weren't able to add a "turbo-timer" for cool downs.

OP
OP
Saltymedic

Saltymedic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Sport Eco-d
Occupation
Retired Fire-Medic
Imagine my surprise when I stumbled across that info!

This thing was just cruising under the radar. This forum is one of the first places I thought we would have caught rumor of it.

Sponsored

BEERviper

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator SS eco Diesel
Occupation
Real Estate
Looks to be a similar product to the aFe Scorcher (minus the gauge pod) which is already available. There's a thread here in the diesel forum about it. Claims of +33 Hp and +77 lbs. x ft. of Torque and costs $471. Also has the functionality of the idrive or pedal commander for throttle response. Still waiting for a diesel owner to report their findings.

I had been looking at the Banks iDash gauge (which appears to be included with Derringer Tuner) and for $259 and no great place to mount it I went with a far cheaper option with a bluetooth OBD2 device ($40) and OBD Fusion app ($10).

Considering the gauge itself costs $259, I can't see this being the same price as the Scorcher unit...

In the end, I'm waiting on the GDE tune as many others are. I am looking forward to the increased efficiency in the emissions (reduced soot formation) along with the increase in power/tq.

OP
OP
Saltymedic

Saltymedic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Sport Eco-d
Occupation
Retired Fire-Medic
Looks to be a similar product to the aFe Scorcher (minus the gauge pod) which is already available. There's a thread here in the diesel forum about it. Claims of +33 Hp and +77 lbs. x ft. of Torque and costs $471. Also has the functionality of the idrive or pedal commander for throttle response. Still waiting for a diesel owner to report their findings.

I had been looking at the Banks iDash gauge (which appears to be included with Derringer Tuner) and for $259 and no great place to mount it I went with a far cheaper option with a bluetooth OBD2 device ($40) and OBD Fusion app ($10).

Considering the gauge itself costs $259, I can't see this being the same price as the Scorcher unit...

In the end, I'm waiting on the GDE tune as many others are. I am looking forward to the increased efficiency in the emissions (reduced soot formation) along with the increase in power/tq.
Yeah, I had a GDE tune in my '17 Ram and it was very nice. It made the initial turbo lag disappear, I gained only a tad in mileage (1mpg). At first it seemed like only a fair amount of improvement but once I removed it for a repair, OMG, could you tell the difference! The GDE was a very nice tune but it was pricey.

shyoung1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave(SOLD) 2023 F350 Superduty
I happened to pick this combination up used on Craigslist last year for my 2011 SuperDuty 6.7 diesel, and it is great!

I had a Hypertech tune before and performance was good, but it basically tricked the mpg into saying it was getting approx 2 mpg more than actual mileage.

With this Banks, it is amazing the read outs you can put on the idash. I paid about half price for mine, but am so pleased with it I would pay full list for it now!
Banks never seems to go crazy with HP and TQ increases, but does add moderate power and just smoothed my motor out in all ranges.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
While the GDE tune will certainly be the most reliable and best all-around tune available when it comes out, there are two drawbacks to it:

1 - Cost. The GDE tune will likely be $1,200+.

2 - Tuning method. GDE will require you to mail your ECU to them, they'll program it, then you'll have it shipped back to you for reinstallation in your truck. The issue with this is that once your vehicle is tuned, it's tuned. There is no way to return to stock. There is no way to unmarry it when you turn the vehicle in at the end of lease, or sell it. If you ever get rid of the vehicle, that's $1,200 down the tubes.

Sponsored

FutureOdin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara
I thought the GDE tune used an OBD flash tool to flash/unflash the tune to your ECU? That's what I'm reading from the GDE thread

Karnaj

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Union Electrician
While the GDE tune will certainly be the most reliable and best all-around tune available when it comes out, there are two drawbacks to it:

1 - Cost. The GDE tune will likely be $1,200+.

2 - Tuning method. GDE will require you to mail your ECU to them, they'll program it, then you'll have it shipped back to you for reinstallation in your truck. The issue with this is that once your vehicle is tuned, it's tuned. There is no way to return to stock. There is no way to unmarry it when you turn the vehicle in at the end of lease, or sell it. If you ever get rid of the vehicle, that's $1,200 down the tubes.
I believe GDEs new tune come on a plug in installation device. Mailing in your ECU should not be required anymore, if I am understanding what I have heard correctly. Although to be fair, all of their tunes before the EPA compliant ones came out, did function as you started.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I believe GDEs new tune come on a plug in installation device. Mailing in your ECU should not be required anymore, if I am understanding what I have heard correctly. Although to be fair, all of their tunes before the EPA compliant ones came out, did function as you started.
That's not what they told me a few days ago. They said handheld flash device is unlikely due to how Jeep has the ECU locked down.

However, they also said we're looking at 5-6 more months before it's going on sale, so I suppose there is time for that to possibly change. We'll see....

Screenshot_20210428-125049_Messenger.jpg

Karnaj

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Union Electrician
Not exactly. Even GDE says they aren't sure. Not saying you're wrong, just that neither of us are correct, yet.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Not exactly. Even GDE says they aren't sure. Not saying you're wrong, just that neither of us are correct, yet.
I'm hoping something changes and they find a way to offer a handheld flash tool. Otherwise I may not go for it.
Sponsored