First Name
Clay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Retired LEO
I have been noticing for nearly a month that the Start/Stop function hasn't been working. I went through the different screens on the dash and saw where the Start/ Stop function was not available and the battery was charging. I took it to a local dealership and they told me that they would charge the batteries and test them. He said that it would be four or five hours, so I left it with them and my wife came and got me. The dealership called and said that both batteries were bad and they were replacing them. Only 7,000 miles on the Gladiator and both batteries needed replacing! When I went to get it, I asked what was the issue with the batteries and he said the Auto Stop/Start function was killing them. First I had to have the steering gear box replaced and now the batteries. What else is going to pop up with the vehicle. Jeep needs to step up and fix the situation with the stop/start! If you are going to put a function on a vehicle, you need to make sure there are no issues!
BBH6A001AA Battery Storage
BBAUX101AB Storage Battery
6504737 Plastic Rivets

All under warranty
Sponsored

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
As stated above, a very common issue with a bad batch of many, many batteries. It will make the truck go crazy for some people with all sorts of crazy error messages. It sounds like yours was fixed before any major inconvenience.

Kitfoxbill

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Suburban
Does anyone know how long it takes for battery to charge? My start/stop always charging.

Thanks

OP
OP
Clay

Clay

First Name
Clay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Retired LEO
Does anyone know how long it takes for battery to charge? My start/stop always charging.

Thanks

That is the same thing my Gladiator was doing and the dealership had to replace both batteries. Mine was done under warranty and had 7,000 miles on it. The dealership said it would take about 5 hours to charge and test both batteries.

Sponsored

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
So took mine in for the ESS not working and always saying it needed charging they reset the sensor and that worked for a day. So took it back in and they replaced BBH6A001AA which they said is the ESS battery. I asked why they didn’t replace both and they said the other passed the charging tests so I guess we will see

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
So took mine in for the ESS not working and always saying it needed charging they reset the sensor and that worked for a day. So took it back in and they replaced BBH6A001AA which they said is the ESS battery. I asked why they didn’t replace both and they said the other passed the charging tests so I guess we will see
Normally just one goes bad but if things are left long enough without replacing the aux battery - the other may as well.
The IBS has been known to be "off" and cause issues as well. If a battery is never fully charged, constantly drained down, but never topped off things don't go well.

That fully depends on how long and how frequently you drive. At times it's taken an hour for mine to start working again. Other times, 30 minutes or LESS.
Cold weather makes things take longer.

No one can tell you exactly how long it takes because it will vary.

jmdwifi

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Wireless Network engineer, Drummer of WOLF LEGION
Vehicle Showcase
Had mine at the dealer today. The aux battery was replaced last year. It not has been saying auto start/stop not available, battery charging but the last months when I first start, it pops up with a message Aux switches not available, battery charging. They blamed it on my aux harness. He said there are wires that are hot. This is on the inside behind the kick panel. My connections are run to the wires under the hood. Plus, I said since there is an option for the switches to work off battery, so they should be hot maybe. He said they used an inferred tool or something. Anyway, looks like they want to blame it on me installing my aux switches. He told me to put it on a tender, disconnect the offroad lights blah blah blah. He said my batteries and charging system tested fine.
At that point I left. Dealers are douchebags, most anyway. How would a tender help if the batteries are fine and why wouldn't they charge up if the system is charging? I told him I would have more respect if he just said Merry Christmas and we will not fix your truck.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Had mine at the dealer today. The aux battery was replaced last year. It not has been saying auto start/stop not available, battery charging but the last months when I first start, it pops up with a message Aux switches not available, battery charging. They blamed it on my aux harness. He said there are wires that are hot. This is on the inside behind the kick panel. My connections are run to the wires under the hood. Plus, I said since there is an option for the switches to work off battery, so they should be hot maybe. He said they used an inferred tool or something. Anyway, looks like they want to blame it on me installing my aux switches. He told me to put it on a tender, disconnect the offroad lights blah blah blah. He said my batteries and charging system tested fine.
At that point I left. Dealers are douchebags, most anyway. How would a tender help if the batteries are fine and why wouldn't they charge up if the system is charging? I told him I would have more respect if he just said Merry Christmas and we will not fix your truck.
There are options for the switches to be feeding battery power to the item you have connected to the switches, or switched power going to the switches so that even if one is on, shutting the truck down kills the accessory.
So it's normal and in the books that your switches can be set either way.
If you want to be able to power a Christmas wreath on the front but want it to shut off with ignition you'd feed the aux switch ACC power.
If you wanted off-road lights to be usable with the truck not running, you'd make the switch feeding that aux switch hot or battery power.
So - what part of that does that dope not understand?
I don't even have MOPAR aux switches, factory installed or installed later, and I understand how they work. You choose how you want the switch fed, individually for each switch, in the settings screen. Maybe time for them to read the books?
The only way those switches could cause issues is if you were using one or more to feed something that was live all the time and when you shut the truck down that auxiliary item was still live drawing power! Like if you left bed lights on that were fed from a hot aux switch.
Otherwise, you are getting that message because of a problem - not your install.

How can they blame those switches if they aren't drawing any power? They have to be ON to use power and then the item connected to them must be working or running. Otherwise they are simply there like your 12v outlet - which is doing nothing unless you plug something into it.

Ugh, some of those people drive me nuts (worse than normal)

jmdwifi

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
There are options for the switches to be feeding battery power to the item you have connected to the switches, or switched power going to the switches so that even if one is on, shutting the truck down kills the accessory.
So it's normal and in the books that your switches can be set either way.
If you want to be able to power a Christmas wreath on the front but want it to shut off with ignition you'd feed the aux switch ACC power.
If you wanted off-road lights to be usable with the truck not running, you'd make the switch feeding that aux switch hot or battery power.
So - what part of that does that dope not understand?
I don't even have MOPAR aux switches, factory installed or installed later, and I understand how they work. You choose how you want the switch fed, individually for each switch, in the settings screen. Maybe time for them to read the books?
The only way those switches could cause issues is if you were using one or more to feed something that was live all the time and when you shut the truck down that auxiliary item was still live drawing power! Like if you left bed lights on that were fed from a hot aux switch.
Otherwise, you are getting that message because of a problem - not your install.

How can they blame those switches if they aren't drawing any power? They have to be ON to use power and then the item connected to them must be working or running. Otherwise they are simply there like your 12v outlet - which is doing nothing unless you plug something into it.

Ugh, some of those people drive me nuts (worse than normal)
Thing that sucks is I’ve been waiting for an emergency brake mechanism for a couple months to fix the E-brake sticking problem. Before the 36000 warranty was up, I went by and told them about the battery shit. They said don’t worry they can address it when my parts come in. Today was the day. E-brake is doing the same shit and he said technically I’m out of warranty. So in other words, screw me. I will fix both problems, just sucks to have to spend my time and money when it should be their problem.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Thing that sucks is I’ve been waiting for an emergency brake mechanism for a couple months to fix the E-brake sticking problem. Before the 36000 warranty was up, I went by and told them about the battery shit. They said don’t worry they can address it when my parts come in. Today was the day. E-brake is doing the same shit and he said technically I’m out of warranty. So in other words, screw me. I will fix both problems, just sucks to have to spend my time and money when it should be their problem.
Whoa - doesn't matter. If it's on record as having been "broken" before warranty was up and they started to address the issue, they can't say "time's up, we didn't get it fixed before warranty expired".
That would be like saying that if they started tearing into your engine for a misfire and didn't get it done before that final warranty day they'd give it back to you in a basket.
Or if they found a misfire, changed the spark plugs or a coil and that didn't fix it that they'd not continue to try to fix it.
I was told by my dealer - as long as it's been reported, it's on record, whether it's been addressed or not before warranty expires, it's not your fault if they can't resolve it or even get it in before the warranty expires.
They can't drop it like that or thousands of people would be screwed simply because their dealer was "too busy" or couldn't figure it out.
I'd hassle the crap out of them just on the principal of the thing - and I'd tell corporate what they are pulling. We also receive emails to complete surveys, sort of a "how did we do" thing and if they get too many less than 10, they lose favor with corporate.

I'm sure you can fix it - but they can't quit just because they were too stupid to get it fixed right the first time and time ran out.

jmdwifi

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Whoa - doesn't matter. If it's on record as having been "broken" before warranty was up and they started to address the issue, they can't say "time's up, we didn't get it fixed before warranty expired".
That would be like saying that if they started tearing into your engine for a misfire and didn't get it done before that final warranty day they'd give it back to you in a basket.
Or if they found a misfire, changed the spark plugs or a coil and that didn't fix it that they'd not continue to try to fix it.
I was told by my dealer - as long as it's been reported, it's on record, whether it's been addressed or not before warranty expires, it's not your fault if they can't resolve it or even get it in before the warranty expires.
They can't drop it like that or thousands of people would be screwed simply because their dealer was "too busy" or couldn't figure it out.
I'd hassle the crap out of them just on the principal of the thing - and I'd tell corporate what they are pulling. We also receive emails to complete surveys, sort of a "how did we do" thing and if they get too many less than 10, they lose favor with corporate.

I'm sure you can fix it - but they can't quit just because they were too stupid to get it fixed right the first time and time ran out.
Thank you brother, I will go back there tomorrow and see what they say. Don’t know if I want dumb or lazy people working on it though. This one is a keeper.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you brother, I will go back there tomorrow and see what they say. Don’t know if I want dumb or lazy people working on it though. This one is a keeper.
I hear ya - I told my wife that with things as they were in the past several months regarding used truck values vs. new that there had been times I had considered selling or trading and getting another with just a few more options but then - no, this one has been so well-behaved and like she keeps pointing out, I've done so many things (mostly small things just to personalize it) that I'd have to start over. It's reliable and has been doing fine. Not really sure what more or different I'd do anyway.

And if I ever win the lottery, it will go over to Dave in Illinois to get tweaked anyway.

Mtpisgah

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Engineer
I think the aux battery in my wife’s 2018 JL is going bad. I replaced the batteries in my JT with a Genesis system so I am going to try my aux battery in hers and see if it solves the start/stop issue.

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Issues reported before your warranty expires they should not deny unless it’s been a long time.
Sponsored