• ⛔️ EFFECTIVE JANUARY 11, 2023 ⛔️ 

ATTENTION SELLERS: All users who wish to sell in the marketplace are now required to abide by the following RULES. If a sales thread/post created ON OR AFTER January 11, 2023, does not comply, it is subject to DELETION without notice.

ATTENTION BUYERS: If you see a non-compliant sales thread, please REPORT the thread and take CAUTION when transacting.

Rule #1 - Post a picture of the actual item you are selling (NO stock photos).
    Rule #2 - The picture must include a REAL piece of paper with your Username and the Date written on it next to the product you are selling. NO photoshop or digitally edited photos are allowed.
    Rule #3 - NO "feeler" threads are permitted. This section is only for items that are actually available and ready to be sold currently.
    Rule #4 - The listing must include an asking price. OBO (or best offer) is allowed but it must be accompanied by an asking price.
    Rule #5 - No "threadcrapping." Classifieds threads are not meant for negative discussions. Comments on pricing are not allowed. Only people with genuine questions and interest in the item for sale should be posting in the classifieds threads.
Sponsored

Texas Battery drained overnight

Jeepster2020

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
I have a 2020 Overland, 1.5 yr old. Appeared to be fine on Saturday (yesterday) and this morning was completely dead. Battery registered 3.7v. Is anyone aware of some kind of faulty battery drain haunting our rigs? Or do I just have a faulty battery? I have it on a charger now and should be able to see if it holds a charge. If this triggers any thing in particular, I would like to know about it. Thanks in advance...Bryan
Sponsored

ThatStinging_Jeep

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon In Sting Gray
Vehicle Showcase
By any chance do you have a onboard fridge or anything thats left running,or a winch possibly ?
If so id check that out,if its none of that you probably just got a lemon and thats,have you tried calling the dealer,It should be "covered" under warranty

OP
OP

Jeepster2020

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
By any chance do you have a onboard fridge or anything thats left running,or a winch possibly ?
If so id check that out,if its none of that you probably just got a lemon and thats,have you tried calling the dealer,It should be "covered" under warranty
Thanks for the prompt response....nothing on board and will certainly contact dealer in the morning.

Radio Guy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Retired Broadcast Engineer
Once you run a lead acid type battery below a certain voltage, somewhere around 10 volts, its damaged and will never charge up to full capacity again.

I don't know the proper procedure for disconnecting the batteries in a Gladiator but its a good idea to place a low current ammeter in each battery line to see how much current is drawn when the vehicle is parked. It could be more than you think from an alarm system, GPS tracker, etc. I would take the measurements and if the current is more than say 1/4 Amp or 250ma start looking for whatever is drawing current.

Its not uncommon for an older battery to seem fine one moment then check out the next moment and it can happen to a 1.5 yr old battery.

OP
OP

Jeepster2020

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
@Jeepster2020

Any chance you did not leave the JT in PARK when you last used it? That is one way to cause the issue you have.
Yes very possible. My wife drove it last night and this morning when I noticed the condition, it also appeared to not be in park but it would not move out of the position it was in so I could not confirm its position. I charged the battery this afternoon and drove a while and it seems to be holding at 12.55v.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Jeepster2020

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Once you run a lead acid type battery below a certain voltage, somewhere around 10 volts, its damaged and will never charge up to full capacity again.

I don't know the proper procedure for disconnecting the batteries in a Gladiator but its a good idea to place a low current ammeter in each battery line to see how much current is drawn when the vehicle is parked. It could be more than you think from an alarm system, GPS tracker, etc. I would take the measurements and if the current is more than say 1/4 Amp or 250ma start looking for whatever is drawing current.

Its not uncommon for an older battery to seem fine one moment then check out the next moment and it can happen to a 1.5 yr old battery.
Thank you for your reply. I’m going to pursue the “not in park” situation with the dealer on Monday and try to confirm whether that caused it. I will also bring up the damage aspect with them and see what they say.

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator 2019 Porsche Macan S 2018 BMW M2
Thank you for your reply. I’m going to pursue the “not in park” situation with the dealer on Monday and try to confirm whether that caused it. I will also bring up the damage aspect with them and see what they say.
If you left your vehicle in drive when you got out that means that the ignition was in the run position which will drain the batteries overnight.

OP
OP

Jeepster2020

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
If you left your vehicle in drive when you got out that means that the ignition was in the run position which will drain the batteries overnight.
Appears that is what happened. Dealer confirmed that situation when I spoke to them this morning. Thanks for your reply.

DBT

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Overlander
Occupation
Nomad
Same symptoms with my new 2021. Infotainment system rebooted itself on the freeway yesterday afternoon. Dash showed 12.8V and no codes. But this morning... dead Jeep and batteries at 6V. I cannot imagine that I turned off the truck in the garage, then hit the button twice more to leave it in RUN. Would not have a reason to do so. But I will try to get a smart charger to at least get back up to 12.8V and see if it holds that voltage... or at least starts with 10 or 20A of help so I can make it to the dealership without a tow. Will let you folks know if they have to replace the batteries or if they find some electrical gremlin hiding under the hood.

EDIT: Got it up to 12V and hopped in. Dang. Was still in neutral. Dunno if that could make it run down the batteries overnight, but if I was that out of it, maybe I also left it in Run. Or maybe either condition will let the batteries run all the way down. Oh well... the batteries aren't that pricey.
Sponsored

Last edited: