First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Granite Crystal Launch Edition, 2017 Dodge Durango, 2001 Porsche Boxster
Occupation
Customer Service Manager
Sorry if this is a repeat question. I promise I searched but haven’t found an answer. My new JT was in the dealer showroom for months and they let the batteries drain. They charged the main battery but I’m guessing the sales guys didn’t realize it had a second battery too. So when I picked it up I’d been auto start stop disabled every time I start it. The dealer is about an hour from my house so I’m not keen on taking it back just to have them charge the aux battery. Is there a specific method to charge only that battery? Unfortunately I’m predicting that it’s probably no good at this point and will need replacement which requires a trip to the dealer. If there’s anything I can do at home this weekend to prevent it I’d love to hear what you guys have seen/done.
Sponsored

jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 2019 Cherokee KL 2020 Gladiator JT
Sorry if this is a repeat question. I promise I searched but haven’t found an answer. My new JT was in the dealer showroom for months and they let the batteries drain. They charged the main battery but I’m guessing the sales guys didn’t realize it had a second battery too. So when I picked it up I’d been auto start stop disabled every time I start it. The dealer is about an hour from my house so I’m not keen on taking it back just to have them charge the aux battery. Is there a specific method to charge only that battery? Unfortunately I’m predicting that it’s probably no good at this point and will need replacement which requires a trip to the dealer. If there’s anything I can do at home this weekend to prevent it I’d love to hear what you guys have seen/done.
If they charged the main battery without disconnecting anything, they were charging both. It probably just needs charged more or driven more. If you have or get a charger, just use it as you would with any car, connect to the main battery which charges both. Give it some time and see if it eventually starts working.

Dave210

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Mine had the same issue. After driving it for a day or two it has worked fine. I have been on vacation for a week so I will see how it does tomorrow when I drive it.

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
Mine had the same situation. It had set on the lot without being started. They either charged or replaced the main battery when I was taking delivery. Start/stop was always disabled, so I took it in the next week and they installed a new secondary battery under warranty.

ron168

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Rubi, '20 JT Rubi LE, '17 GLS63
I just got the same done to my '18 JL. We are at 16k miles and it worked until just recently. Battery was not at the right voltage so ESS doesn't work. They replaced both batteries under warranty.

Sponsored

OP
OP

dguy535

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Customer Service Manager
I'm almost at 500 miles and no change. The charging system shows normal charging so I'm thinking that the battery just isn't taking a charge correctly. Guess it means a trip to the dealer. Thanks for the advice guys

OP
OP

dguy535

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Customer Service Manager
Dealer replaced both batteries under warranty and all is good now. Thanks for the advice.

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator 2019 Porsche Macan S 2018 BMW M2
If they charged the main battery without disconnecting anything, they were charging both. It probably just needs charged more or driven more. If you have or get a charger, just use it as you would with any car, connect to the main battery which charges both. Give it some time and see if it eventually starts working.
The batteries normally charge one at a time when charged by the alternator. A relay toggles between the two. You're not charging both if you only hook up to one battery. In addition, if you have to ever change one out, you should change them both at the same time.

jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The batteries normally charge one at a time when charged by the alternator. A relay toggles between the two. You're not charging both if you only hook up to one battery. In addition, if you have to ever change one out, you should change them both at the same time.
The only time they aren't connected in parallel is during an auto stop or a quick system test.

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator 2019 Porsche Macan S 2018 BMW M2
The only time they aren't connected in parallel is during an auto stop or a quick system test.
I stand corrected then. I was under the impression that they were always segregated. I guess the dual battery control relay will allow one, the other or both to be in the system via the power control relay. I need to find a schematic.

Sponsored

jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
I'm almost at 500 miles and no change. The charging system shows normal charging so I'm thinking that the battery just isn't taking a charge correctly. Guess it means a trip to the dealer. Thanks for the advice guys
@dguy535
We are sorry to hear that you are having this difficulty with your battery. If you have any questions or would like our additional assistance during your dealer service, feel free to send our team a private message.

Kathryn
JeepCares

OP
OP

dguy535

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Customer Service Manager
@dguy535
We are sorry to hear that you are having this difficulty with your battery. If you have any questions or would like our additional assistance during your dealer service, feel free to send our team a private message.

Kathryn
JeepCares
Thanks Kathryn. The dealer took very good care of me. Now if the world could cooperate so I can get out and drive it again that would be great

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
Thanks Kathryn. The dealer took very good care of me. Now if the world could cooperate so I can get out and drive it again that would be great
We are happy to hear this- Enjoy the ride!

Kathryn
JeepCares

PJM86

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep CJ7, 2020 Jeep Gladiator
Don’t mean to bring up an old thread, but can I put a battery charger on the main battery and charge both? I was working (mulch) about the yard today and lots of on/offs. Light came on for stop start.
Sponsored