Bed cap sugestions

J_0ne

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
I am looking to get cap for the bed of my JTR. I have only found RSI smart cap and A.R.E. Any recomendations on wich one to go for pros and cons.

The only reason I want to get an input is because looking at the RSI it does not look like it follows the lines of the JTR loke it does on other trucks can any owners comment on this as well. TIA.
Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I am looking to get cap for the bed of my JTR. I have only found RSI smart cap and A.R.E. Any recomendations on wich one to go for pros and cons.

The only reason I want to get an input is because looking at the RSI it does not look like it follows the lines of the JTR loke it does on other trucks can any owners comment on this as well. TIA.
I think the RSI SmartCap looks pretty good.

20210317_191048.jpg
20210328_195232.jpg

Armyman247

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator overland
I saw the rsi smart cap in person if I ever wanted to do a cap it would definitely be that one.. nothing else compared to it.. it just looks so much better than the rest

Bwitherel

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
My RSI SmartCap is on order. It was a bit more than others, but the stainless steel and design sold it for me. in my view, nothing looks better than the RSI on the Jeep. It has a rugged appearance just like the Gladiator.

Sponsored

FitfulGoat

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon LE
Occupation
Operations Leadership
I disagree on the looks department. I have an ARE CX HD on order and personally the ARE is the only one that follows the body lines and looks like an exact match. The hard angles and transitions on most other brands makes it look like the cap was an afterthought or intended for a different vehicle.
The RSI is probably the most robust though. If you get the ARE in the HD though you have a 550lb capacity on the top cross bars which is great for carrying an RTT.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Absolutely love my RLD cap and if you intend to put any good amount of weight on top, I'd recommend nothing less since ARE doesn't have their HD cap yet.

FitfulGoat

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Operations Leadership
Absolutely love my RLD cap and if you intend to put any good amount of weight on top, I'd recommend nothing less since ARE doesn't have their HD cap yet.
The HD is out and available. There are backorders but it’s available. I ordered mine at the end of April.

OP
OP

J_0ne

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Where did you order yours?
I will like to see some pictures and information on the ARE HD version, it should be a lot lighter than the RSI which will help save some fuel on long trips. If it holds similar weight on top this might be the one to chose.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
The RSI SmartCap weighs 170 pounds. The weight rating is 330 pounds dynamic and around 700 static. I bought from Offroad Alliance.

Sponsored

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
The HD is out and available. There are backorders but it’s available. I ordered mine at the end of April.
That's good... had it been out when I ordered the RLD it would have been a tough call because the CX looks damn good and the slotted bracing is great for mounting things inside. Zero regrets either way.

Where did you order yours?
I will like to see some pictures and information on the ARE HD version, it should be a lot lighter than the RSI which will help save some fuel on long trips. If it holds similar weight on top this might be the one to chose.
CX HD is about 220 from what my dealer told me on the Tacoma... Gladiator cap is almost identical size so that's ~50lbs saved going with one of the stainless models.

RSI's huge benefit/drawback is that it has to be assembled so it ships much cheaper to more locations. RLD has a 700# dynamic rating but it's one piece which means it ships freight for $350 and I had to drive to a freight center with a trailer to pick it up.

FitfulGoat

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Operations Leadership
That's good... had it been out when I ordered the RLD it would have been a tough call because the CX looks damn good and the slotted bracing is great for mounting things inside. Zero regrets either way.

CX HD is about 220 from what my dealer told me on the Tacoma... Gladiator cap is almost identical size so that's ~50lbs saved going with one of the stainless models.

RSI's huge benefit/drawback is that it has to be assembled so it ships much cheaper to more locations. RLD has a 700# dynamic rating but it's one piece which means it ships freight for $350 and I had to drive to a freight center with a trailer to pick it up.
Yeah, I think they all seem to carry benefits and drawbacks equal enough that its preference. I do like the different window options on the ARE but the stainless caps win out on weight and payload capacity (not that I’ll ever have a need for 700lbs on my bed cap or even the 550!)

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Yeah, I think they all seem to carry benefits and drawbacks equal enough that its preference. I do like the different window options on the ARE but the stainless caps win out on weight and payload capacity (not that I’ll ever have a need for 700lbs on my bed cap or even the 550!)
Well you say that but the reality is that there's a difference between static, dynamic, and off-road dynamic that tend to cut significantly as you go down. RSI's 770# static is generally enough as is 330# on road but off road, you're probably close to around 200# which is not hard to hit at all. Unfortunately few manufacturers specify this last number because there's a lot of variance in the definition of off-roading. Leitner is probably the exception because they intentionally build off-road racks.

The CX HD actually has a higher rating than the RSI at 550# dynamic which is just right for most applications. For the CX HD and RLD, you're basically to the point the rack is the weak point.
Sponsored