Sponsored

Bed liner as paint finish

booneja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport (hers) and Overland (His)
Occupation
RCAF Veteran/ Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone get their rig painted with bed liner and have some tips/ willing to share their experience? Looking at getting this done but would need to find a shop locally willing to do a decent job, not just mask off some parts and spray away, b ut actual take off fenders, hood, box and paint it right.
Sponsored

JTR178

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Occupation
5-0
Anyone get their rig painted with bed liner and have some tips/ willing to share their experience? Looking at getting this done but would need to find a shop locally willing to do a decent job, not just mask off some parts and spray away, b ut actual take off fenders, hood, box and paint it right.
A lot of people in my local Jeep club use Raptor Liner and do it themselves. The effort you put into prep work makes all the difference.

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
I parked beside a hugely lifted, gaudy F150 today, and it had all the lower panels coated with bed liner.
Looked like pooh...

Kevin

OP
OP
booneja

booneja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport (hers) and Overland (His)
Occupation
RCAF Veteran/ Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
A lot of people in my local Jeep club use Raptor Liner and do it themselves. The effort you put into prep work makes all the difference.
I just do not have the space to do it myself, my garage is used for storage of my parents junk, since they moved in with us, lol.....stuff will sit in there for 6-7 months, come out for a day or two, and right back in, what a waste of space, lol, but thanks for the info

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
First, make damned sure that's what you want. It's VERY expensive to go back to paint.

Second, it's not going to be cheap if you want them to do everything. Everything you don't want sprayed has to come off or be masked off. They will have to sand through the clear coat and rough up the paint coat for proper adhesion. All the stuff they have to remove and then reinstall is going to cost whatever their shop rate per hour is.

Sponsored

GOCAMPN

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Disabled Military Retired
I recently got a rough quote estimate for full exterior bed liner in color, which is more than just getting black. About $8,000 and that's the more thorough take everything apart and spray separately method. From my local Line-X and Rhino Linings, same price.

The color choices are pretty nice. From what I understand cleaning can be difficult, those with bedliner will know better than me. I've been told to use a power washer and a shop broom for the most effective cleaning.

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
Another item to consider is dust/dirt/bird poop and anything else in the air. It's all gonna stick and be a chore to get out. Every singe bed lined rig I've ever seen falls into two categories: trail rigs in black with spray paint style details or street rigs that never ever ever look remotely clean.

I would think long and hard about it before pulling the trigger as you may not at all like what you get after a while. I don't thrash my rig that much in the woods to need it and all the scuffs and pin stripes are easily corrected with a can of krylon and some wet sanding.

For street use you'll also have go through it to mount anything properly then spot coat to restore the level. I feel like a lot of look at me dealers go into it as a means of just blotting out bad body work, mismatched panels and crap welds. Much like a bikini and statistics it can show a whole lot while also hiding the important parts.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
I bedlined just the hard top. I wouldn't recommend doing the whole vehicle. There are a couple of downsides, so far. First is that it's very hard to clean because it's so grippy. My towel just kind of drags along the top when I'm trying to wash it. Also, dirt gets stuck in the texture and isn't easy to get out. I guess you could power wash it, as mentioned above, but I don't think that would get the same thorough clean. The second disadvantage is that every time I put my freedom panels in the storage bag, they come out with lint all over them, and they're hard to get in the bag, because they are so grippy.

If you bedlined the the whole vehicle, cleaning would be a chore, and it would be very heavy compared to paint. I've seen it done on other vehicles, including jeeps. Sometimes, it looks great, sometimes it looks terrible. I wouldn't do it unless I had a beater or was willing to spend a whole lot of money to make it a show truck or something.

ospreyfe55

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
F-35 Weapons Instructor
Look into Monstaliner. I have done a couple of my past Jeeps and just did my waverunner last year. I am looking at using it on my grill and front bumper.
http://monstaliner.com/

Sponsored

Dqban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator overland
Occupation
APRN
Dont do it. Only looks good the day its done. My brother did his wrangler and spent a ton to have it reversed. Its one of those fads that people Will look back in 10 years and ask what were people thinking.

when I see a truck that has bedliner all over it my mind automaticallyPlace is it in the same category as a donk...Useless mod That kills the aesthetics.

Jeep Gladiator Bed liner as paint finish 1625565494607

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
Impossible to match afterwards if you have an accident & have to repair/replace.

Red-Paint

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT 2019 RS3
Occupation
Contractor
I sprayed my Deer lease jeep. Also several truck beds. Don't do it. Get a wrap if you want a change..

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Plan to be married to it once you get it done. If you are one that likes to trade in every few years, most dealers will knock quite a bit off on the trade value as it will almost definitely be a go to auction vehicle for the dealership.

Like others mentioned, touch up matching after the fact and looking like pooh after day 1 because it traps dirt that is hard to keep clean.
Sponsored