Sponsored

Bed liner on top bed rail?

Psycho Squirrel

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 White Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, '14 Black Grand Cherokee Limited, '63 Blue Corvair Monza,
I’m not really a fan of the plastic caps on the top of the bed rails and tailgate. Has anyone out there taken them off and had the bedliner sprayed over the top? How’d it turn out?
Sponsored

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Not a JT but when I got my MJ done way back the company that did it, recommend over top edge and down about a 1/4 in. Stupidly I didn't. Then I did the top and over to about what they recommend. No scratches and cuts down on dents on top of bed side rails. I'm still in waiting mode to order and planning on after market spay in bedliner. I had a 50 Cal. (29lbs.) steel barrel dropped in my MJ bed just a small dent, I've seen that happen on bare steel bed and punch though it.

OP
OP
Psycho Squirrel

Psycho Squirrel

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 White Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, '14 Black Grand Cherokee Limited, '63 Blue Corvair Monza,
UPDATE (kinda): I finally got around to pulling off the plastic rails and found a few things..
1)Getting them off was a pain in the a$$! I’m an extremely detailed and careful person when it comes to work like this and there’s almost no way of getting them off without damaging the clips underneath.
2) once you get them off you’ll find there are peaks and valleys along the top of the bed. Presumably for rigidity.
3) there are quasi stake pockets in the back corners but the metal isn’t rolled over like on other thrucks so I’d be careful about adding tie-downs without some sort of reinforcement.

I purchased a roll of 13mil textured vinyl wrap from amazon to give it a dry run to see what it would look like and I’m pleased with the look. However the wrap isn’t very flexible and tends to pull and shrink on curves and corners. I’ll post links and pics in a little bit.

cheers

Sponsored

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
Looking forward to the pics!

I swung by the local linex installer yesterday and asked about the bed caps and they said they don't recommend taking them off if they're there for the exact reasons you describe. I guess I'll leave them on for now.

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
UPDATE (kinda): I finally got around to pulling off the plastic rails and found a few things..
1)Getting them off was a pain in the a$$! I’m an extremely detailed and careful person when it comes to work like this and there’s almost no way of getting them off without damaging the clips underneath.
2) once you get them off you’ll find there are peaks and valleys along the top of the bed. Presumably for rigidity.
3) there are quasi stake pockets in the back corners but the metal isn’t rolled over like on other thrucks so I’d be careful about adding tie-downs without some sort of reinforcement.

I purchased a roll of 13mil textured vinyl wrap from amazon to give it a dry run to see what it would look like and I’m pleased with the look. However the wrap isn’t very flexible and tends to pull and shrink on curves and corners. I’ll post links and pics in a little bit.

cheers
I had to take them off to install spacers since my diamondback was crushing them. Such a pain to remove and I lost at least one tab on each side.

gerky18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
I have had over the rail with Line-X before on my Ram. I liked the look and it was very functional. I have yet to get the Gladiator lined yet but if it is as much of a pain as it sounds I will probably just leave them on.

narcoteca

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTJS98 2021
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Narquitecto
any problem installing a Trail Rail system after getting the Line X?
Sponsored