Bed liner or mat?

FloridaJT6MT

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport Willys
Which is better. Not sure I want a spray in because you can’t take it out. I had a spray in in my RAM and it was really anti-skid. It was almost impossible to slide anything in it! Had to pick it up and move it where you want it. I already have some scratches in my bed so it’s time to make a decision. Thinking about going the bed/tailgate mat route this time. What have you done and how’s it working out for you?
Sponsored

Sallaman

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator
I went with the smartliner on the bed.. it fit perfect came up on the edges so its less likely to get stuff underneath provides a little cushion so less likely to get dents in the bed and its very grippy so things dont slide around. The downside is its almost too grippy, there is no sliding things in either. I figure i can always spray liner it down the road.

Rubi_Rhod

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR 6MT, '55 Manx Clone Bug
Build Thread
Link
I got the smartliner as well. Its really nice. I find it does like to hold some water with the raised lip, so might take a small nick to the front of the mat so it channels to the drain holes. Otherwise its great on the trails as its good and padded. And form fitting to all the riges for a flat floor.

A bedliner is nice, but I always had something down on the bedliner as well via a carpet or a mat. And as most of the scratches come from the floor, the painted bedsides are just fine and good. Also, step one in the process of lining the bed is scuffing and sanding the bed, so why rush it. That $400 saved on bedliner could be used for molle panels, storage or other things that would offer a lot of versatility.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Bed liner and rubber mat is what I got. I just took some rubber tiles and cut them to fit in the bed. The rubber tiles were free so I can't speak on price but they work.

Sponsored

OP
OP
FloridaJT6MT

FloridaJT6MT

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The spray in liner protects the sides and cut down on road noise
Great point. I’d never even considered that the spray in would cut down on noise. I knew the sides would be in protected, but I was considering getting Molle panels for the sides.

OP
OP
FloridaJT6MT

FloridaJT6MT

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I went with the smartliner on the bed.. it fit perfect came up on the edges so its less likely to get stuff underneath provides a little cushion so less likely to get dents in the bed and its very grippy so things dont slide around. The downside is its almost too grippy, there is no sliding things in either. I figure i can always spray liner it down the road.
I got the smartliner as well. Its really nice. I find it does like to hold some water with the raised lip, so might take a small nick to the front of the mat so it channels to the drain holes. Otherwise its great on the trails as its good and padded. And form fitting to all the riges for a flat floor.

A bedliner is nice, but I always had something down on the bedliner as well via a carpet or a mat. And as most of the scratches come from the floor, the painted bedsides are just fine and good. Also, step one in the process of lining the bed is scuffing and sanding the bed, so why rush it. That $400 saved on bedliner could be used for molle panels, storage or other things that would offer a lot of versatility.
Can either of you provide a link for the smartliner? I haven’t come across this yet. Sounds like something I’d like to consider.

aj8544

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR,2018 Wrangler JLU 2.0, 2018 F150
Every other truck I have owned either had spray in or drop in bed liners. This time around I went with the Smartliner just to give it a shot. I absolutely love it- soft enough to not scratch delicate items (furniture, kids bikes etc...) but thick enough to protect the bed. I have mine set up with builtright molle panels on front and sides (axe, hatchet, fire extinguisher etc...) swingcase toolbox at rear driver side, arb single compressor at rear passenger side, all under a litrider tonneau. By far the most usable bed set up of any truck I've owned- even though it's the smallest. Best of all everything added together (minus the arb) Im about even what a spray in liner would have cost.

OP
OP
FloridaJT6MT

FloridaJT6MT

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Every other truck I have owned either had spray in or drop in bed liner. This time around I went with the Smartliner just to give it a shot. I absolutely love it- soft enough to not scratch delicate items (furniture, kids bikes etc...) but thick enough to protect the bed. I have mine set up with builtright molle panels on front and sides (axe, hatchet, fire extinguisher etc...) swingcase toolbox at rear driver side, arb single compressor at rear passenger side, all under a litrider tonneau. By far the most usable bed set up of any truck I've owned- even though it's the smallest. Best of all everything added together (minus the arb) Im about even what a spray in liner would have cost.
Thanks for the info. I’m going to have to check this smartliner out. I’d like to add molle panels all the way around as well.

Sponsored

Trauma PA

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Willys, 2021 Audi Q3
Occupation
Trauma Surgery Physician Assistant
Which is better. Not sure I want a spray in because you can’t take it out. I had a spray in in my RAM and it was really anti-skid. It was almost impossible to slide anything in it! Had to pick it up and move it where you want it. I already have some scratches in my bed so it’s time to make a decision. Thinking about going the bed/tailgate mat route this time. What have you done and how’s it working out for you?
I have the spray in plus the smartliner bed mat. Probably overkill but whatever. I did see another gladiator with the bed rug on the bed and tailgate and I really liked it. The owner showed me just how easily objects could slide across it. What I didn’t like however was no side or rear bed protection. Now my understanding is that you could also install the bed rug over a spray in bedliner. If this is true than I think you get the best of both worlds.

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Personal choice really.

If you get a spray in and want something to slide easily in or out, either a piece of cardboard or rug will allow the item to slide.

Rubi_Rhod

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR 6MT, '55 Manx Clone Bug
Build Thread
Link

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill