Sponsored

Bed Liner: Shop Vs. Do-It-Myself

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
Has anyone crunched some numbers comparing the cost of paying a shop to spray in bed liner vs doing it your self? I'm pretty handy. I painted a car recently and it came out great. But when I look at the cost of buying a good quality bed liner kit and combine that with all the prep involved, I'm wondering if it's more cost effective to pay a good local shop.

Thanks.
Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone crunched some numbers comparing the cost of paying a shop to spray in bed liner vs doing it your self? I'm pretty handy. I painted a car recently and it came out great. But when I look at the cost of buying a good quality bed liner kit and combine that with all the prep involved, I'm wondering if it's more cost effective to pay a good local shop.

Thanks.
A drop in bedliner would be easy to do. A spray in bedliner is something that I would only have done by someone properly trained and equipped to do the job. You are probably capable of doing it, but do you have the necessary equipment, and what is your time worth? For most people, it is not likely to be cost effective to attempt as a DIY project.

Chance_P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
I've done a lot of reading about diy bedliners.. it seems as though nothing out there is as durable as line-x. The only product I would considering applying myself would be monstaliner, as it seems to be the best DIY option as far as durability goes. To do it right you will spend $180 on the liner/rollers and then another $20-30 in consumables (sandpaper, mek, ect). Line x is about $500 after tax here. If you do it properly, I estimate monstaliner taking 6, maybe 8 hours tops. You save $300, waste a day, have an inferior product (again, talking durability) and no real warranty. I was considering going the monstaliner route, but at the end of the day I can't justify the savings, so I am holding out for awhile until I feel like dropping the $ on line x. I have had my gladiator for almost a full year now and my bed is scratched to hell but nothing has made it through to bare metal thankfully.

OP
OP
Klutch

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A drop in bedliner would be easy to do. A spray in bedliner is something that I would only have done by someone properly trained and equipped to do the job. You are probably capable of doing it, but do you have the necessary equipment, and what is your time worth? For most people, it is not likely to be cost effective to attempt as a DIY project.
I don't like the drop-in bed liners. I had one in my Comanche and I didn't like it at all. I was looking at the Raptor kit: https://www.amazon.com/U-Pol-Raptor-Urethane-Spray-Liters/dp/B01CKE7B1E

Sponsored

LoJac963

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I would have to disagree with some of the posts above. IF you used a quality 2-part cyano product it would be just as durable as Line-X or Inyati. I did everything but the body panels on my H2 with Raptor Liner and it has held up better than the last Line-X done on my previous truck. The place to spend time is all in the prep. Prep is everything especially when spraying on plastic. My job was about half plastic and half metal.

"Waste of a day"..... I would not consider for a second making such a major change to a vehicle a waste of a day but then again I love working on my rigs, doing my own work, and making it mine.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Pay for the shop sprayed liner, especially on a new truck. Of all the other many things you will spend on your Gladiator modding it, the $200-$300 delta of cost savings is a drop in the bucket and you will have a warranty should problems arise.

I do not doubt like professional results some claim to get with the DIY stuff, but that is a big risk learning on the go when you really only have one shot getting it right the first time.

Also, if you were to sell at a later date or trade in, people like to see those Line-X or Rhino Liner emblems stuck on the inside of the bed.

steve68

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator, yes
Occupation
Rocket Builder,
All I can say is prepX10

Dealer did mine on a LE, and the guy did a shit job on the prep! and I know cause I have body work experience,

OP
OP
Klutch

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All I can say is prepX10

Dealer did mine on a LE, and the guy did a shit job on the prep! and I know cause I have body work experience,
And THIS is exactly what I'm afraid of. Seems whenever I pay a professional to do something because I want it done right, I'm disappointed.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
And THIS is exactly what I'm afraid of. Seems whenever I pay a professional to do something because I want it done right, I'm disappointed.
I would not consider the dealer to be a professional for a spray in bedliner. Get a factory liner, or take it to a well known company. I would not let the dealer pick the installer, they usually select the cheapest option.

Sponsored

LoJac963

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I would not consider the dealer to be a professional for a spray in bedliner. Get a factory liner, or take it to a well known company. I would not let the dealer pick the installer, they usually select the cheapest option.
The dealer I bought mine from uses Inyati for their spray ins which is a well known company similar to Line-X. I did Line-X on my previous truck and paid for the upgraded UV resistant liner and it went to hell in about 2 years in regard to fading. The Raptor Liner I've done is more of a glossy finish and holds up worlds better to the sun.

OP
OP
Klutch

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I decided to do it myself. I painted a car a few years ago and thus have a nice compressor and air lines as well as lots of masking materials leftover. (Also, I just spent some coin on a rooftop tent and bed rack and this will save me a little coin.)

I ordered a U-Pol Raptor kit. I can post a picture process if anyone is interested.

Chance_P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
I decided to do it myself. I painted a car a few years ago and thus have a nice compressor and air lines as well as lots of masking materials leftover. (Also, I just spent some coin on a rooftop tent and bed rack and this will save me a little coin.)

I ordered a U-Pol Raptor kit. I can post a picture process if anyone is interested.
Please do!

Also curious, what tent did you go with? I just ordered a Roam Vagabond XL this morning.

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
Did Rhino Liner. Super happy with the results. Was $550 otd with tax.

I'll happily pay a couple hundred bucks to not have to deal with all the sanding and painting and making sure it's done right.
Sponsored