Sponsored

Bed Liners

Patent Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Car came with a drop-in bedliner, but concerned about rust long term. Any opinions re drop-in bedliners vs spray-on?
Sponsored

WhippetTaxi

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2017 Lotus Evora 410, 2011 BMW 1M, 2001 F250
Occupation
Retired
Car came with a drop-in bedliner, but concerned about rust long term. Any opinions re drop-in bedliners vs spray-on?
Never heard of a car having a drop-in bed liner. If it's a Gladiator, then I think most owners would recommend a spray on liner as a long term solution. It prevents your cargo from sliding around and maintains the drain holes.

GrubbyBaja

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JTR, 6-speed
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
What kind of bed-liner, hard plastic? I'm not a fan of the hard plastic drop-in liners as it is difficult to clean the accumulation of dirt, leaves, etc. which can lead to corrosion. With that said, I purchased a Smartliner "drop-in" liner. It is a heavy rubber that only covers the bed bottom and is easy to remove for cleaning. It is also tacky and relatively soft which is perfect for my typical loads.

OVERLORD

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Been running drop in plastic liners for forty years, I think the corrosion is a wive's tale. Never had corrosion. Running one now, I tear up spray ins. Spray ins don't protect the bed from dents. I have torn drop ins up, and they are easy and inexpensive to replace. You don't have to worry about the frequent spray on touch ups. $200 installed, locally. https://ruggedliner.com/rugged-truck-bedliners/2020/jeep/gladiator

Jeep Gladiator Bed Liners DSCF2935.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Patent Guy

Patent Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Been running drop in plastic liners for forty years, I think the corrosion is a wive's tale. Neve had corrosion. Running one now, I tear up spray ins. Spray ins don't protect the bed from dents. I have torn drop ins up, and they are easy and inexpensive to replace. You don't have to worry about the frequent spray on touch ups. $200 installed, locally. https://ruggedliner.com/rugged-truck-bedliners/2020/jeep/gladiator

Jeep Gladiator Bed Liners DSCF2935.JPG
thanks, also have Extang bed cover that is supposed to be water repellant, so i don't see a big problem

Sponsored

OVERLORD

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
thanks, also have Extang bed cover that is supposed to be water repellant, so i don't see a big problem
Running the Tyger bed cover, I live in the salt heavy Northeast, so if corrosion was an issue, I beleive I would know. Cheers.

DSCF2936.JPG

JTpoor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Tyrant
+1 on the Rugged Liner. I found mine locally for $159. They take a beating and I actually like the ability to slide stuff. You can always strap stuff down. Also, down the road you can always get the spray-in done later.

Jeep Gladiator Bed Liners 411A6E08-BF96-4599-94C1-27273BEAE0E0

redrider

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1 truck 5 motorcycles
The wife refers to every four wheeled vehicle as a "car". Might have been fine when every conveyance was a carriage because it carried some thing or one. I suppose, with caution, in her mind an airplane can be a car. Aw crap, let us have a beer and listen to some Nickleback. Cheers.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
My vote is if you are going to spend the coin, get the spray in liner and be done with it.

If stuck on the drop in liners, I have used the trick of getting some 2" or so wide foam tape you can find at Lowes or HD and put down a few strips of it on the bed at the curve and rounded points like the wheel well humps before dropping the liner on top. It will negate a good portion of the rub wear.

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
Thanks for the info on the Rugged Liner, pocked one up after reading this thread, very impressed with the fit, I like it uses the front bed hooks to lock it in place, had a factory drop in in my Tundra for 11 years, no problems, IMO way better than any spray in products.

Sponsored

Gladiator Greg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Willys Gladiator
I've had both on various trucks. WITHOUT a question the spay-in is my choice. Corrosion will happen, it's only a matter of time as the drop in will eventually rub the paint away. And I have never had to touch up a properly sprayed in liner.

Kilroy1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator mat tow sport
I've had both on various trucks. WITHOUT a question the spay-in is my choice. Corrosion will happen, it's only a matter of time as the drop in will eventually rub the paint away. And I have never had to touch up a properly sprayed in liner.
Well checked under my rugged liner after over a year now, yikes it's all scratched up underneath and I hardly used it. Now I'm thinking I want to tear it out to repair the deeper scratches and maybe get a spray in.

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
Where in the bed was it all scratched up?

unsocbl

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Willys Eco-diesel
Drop ins are much cheaper. Leaning that way at the moment myself. For either Line-X or Rhino, they sand the bed down before applying anyway, so don't care if it's scratched a couple of years from now.

Cripton805

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys
I got a spray in bedliner. I spent over an hour cleaning off overspray and just shitty masking. It was done by a reputable LineX shop with tons of experience. He also cut into it with a razor blade when taking off the tape and shitty cuts around the bed lights. If I could do it again, I would do the drop in.

I think maybe they just got lazy during Covid. I don't know. He is respraying one of my panels because it was flaking.
Sponsored