Sponsored

Bed not tightened? Lots of noise over bumps.

AdrianVall

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Sport Max Tow
Hey guys,

Just wanted to check if anyone else has this issue. When going over any sort of speed bumps or significant sized bump, it sounds as if the bed of my Jeep is about to bounce off. It almost sounds as if it is not attached or tightened down.

Has anyone else experienced something like that? Is there anything I should do or is it normal?

Thanks!
Sponsored

Dougstdig

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD - '08 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4
Is your spare winchedn up securely? Check your sway bar and end-link attachment points.

Lunentucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
People Work?
You should be able to get back there and move the bed up and down by hand if it's that.
If you have a good surface, like a garage floor, etc., get under there and visually check and push and shove things to see what moves.

obrianmcc

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Check torques for anything loose... and what tire pressure are you running. If running too high of tire pressure you are transfer all of the high frequency shock into your suspension ... which is connected to your frame ... which is connected to your body.

Jmo13523

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep gladiator 2019 Dodge Durango
Occupation
Police officer
I had the same sound and thought I didn’t get the spare tire up tight enough after going to larger tires and it was moving around but ended up just being my hitch receiver rattling around when it was on. Just took it out and put it back under my back seat and the sound was gone.

Sponsored

1JeepFamily

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021Jeep Gladiator Mojave
You know, I've noticed this as well. I just kinda figured it was just a truck thing (seeing as this was the first and only truck I've ever owned). But I'll check the torques, just to be sure.

JacobD177

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKS
Occupation
GIS
I had the same noise. Took it to the dealership and found out the tailgate striker(?) was off a bit and caused an annoying rattle. They made the adjustment and its good to go.

1JeepFamily

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021Jeep Gladiator Mojave

Nebulocity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Mojave - Sting Gray
I had the same noise. Took it to the dealership and found out the tailgate striker(?) was off a bit and caused an annoying rattle. They made the adjustment and its good to go.
I worked at an OEM and tailgate striker rattle was a high warranty issue, also hood striker rattle. So I would bet that's what it is. Striker position is mainly manually set to adjust fits and has a lot of variation, so that sweet spot to achieve gap/flush fit requirements vs. striker rattle was an on-going battle.

tonywin

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Is there a specific way to adjust that striker for the tail gate? Because mine is doing the same thing. I thought it was my suspension but it isn't.

Sponsored

Dougstdig

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD - '08 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4
I had the same sound and thought I didn’t get the spare tire up tight enough after going to larger tires and it was moving around but ended up just being my hitch receiver rattling around when it was on. Just took it out and put it back under my back seat and the sound was gone.
…or put a couple of wraps of electrical tape just before and after the pin hole. Works like a champ.

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
Whoa. This maybe my issue, what I've always thought was a suspension noise absolutely be this. I would close the tailgate and sometimes hear it. Always seemed odd that closing the tailgate would cause a suspension buzzing. But maybe it's just this pin and the tailgate.

Instead of fiddling with it and having to become an ongoing fitment issue may just open the panel up and throw some dynamat inside the tailgate itself.

JacobD177

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKS
Occupation
GIS
An easy way to diagnose would be to remove your tailgate and go for a drive.

It would have been cool to think of that a few months ago before the trip to the dealer lol

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
An easy way to diagnose would be to remove your tailgate and go for a drive.

It would have been cool to think of that a few months ago before the trip to the dealer lol
You don't even need to go that far. Just use the included metal cords and the retainers to leave it half open.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
You adjust these exactly as you do car door strikers. There's a socket just for strikers.
When properly adjusted, the tailgate sits flush with the body and doesn't rattle and you can't shake it.
It's identical to adjusting the doors I've done for years - except there's one on each side to deal with. Loosen it, move it up, down, in, out, and tighten it back up and test the fit again.
The tailgate should close/latch and be held firmly against the rubber bumper above the striker.

This is a decades old latching system. Loosen using the big torx socket - the hole it goes into is large, and it can move around as needed, then be tightened back up again. That's the reason for that big washer - the hole back there is large for adjustment.

Jeep Gladiator Bed not tightened? Lots of noise over bumps. 20220407_134312_HDR
Sponsored