Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
B997BEB9-49B6-4E8F-802D-61FB33DEDF27.png
AA4A2D51-7EBE-4864-998C-BBF53E18FEB3.png
E1411139-7B3C-4DD8-8912-D9756EE1629C.jpeg
Got a simple question. I already have a Mopar hard tonneau cover. Waiting to see a Gobi and Sting Grey before I order my truck. In looking at the instructions there is a little piece of plastic on the sides of each rear rail that has to be cut out. There’s 2 threaded bolt holes behind these sections. And you bolt the sides of the cover rails to the sides of the truck with these 2 bolt holes. The instructions say: Cut using the scribed lines as a guide to expose the area shown.

The red truck shown has a soft trifold tonneau cover.

Anyone know the best way to cut this section out? I could easily put a flat screwdriver into it and lift up with the screwdriver to break it off. But would hate to have that break some off the surrounding plastic in the process. Or I guess I could try a razor blade knife to cut it out. Not certain how well that would do with cutting plastic with a razor blade knife. Anyone ever cut this section out in order to install their tonneau cover? How did you cut out this section without messing up the surrounding plastic? Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

And for everyone’s info this cover has an inside lock on each of the 3 hard sections, is really well made.
Sponsored

Rokon

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
I would think a fresh utility knife would do just fine.

OP
OP
Jake

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
I just watched a very long and very boring video of a guy putting on a soft folding tonneau cover and he used a box knife cutter (razor blade) to cut it, easy peasy. Now I know.

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
Reviving an old thread for a question I have. What is the purpose of the bolt holes underneath the plastic there? Are they for installing a tonneau cover?

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Reviving an old thread for a question I have. What is the purpose of the bolt holes underneath the plastic there? Are they for installing a tonneau cover?
Yes and some 3rd party manufacturers use it for mounts and other items

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Remember too that a heatgun or hairdryer can be your friend when cutting plastic.
Since this is still being referenced.
Sponsored