Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2005 Wrangler X
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Resident Pompous A-Hole
Is there anyone making caps to replace the plastic on top of the bed sides and tailgate? The mud down here is tenacious, and despite scrubbing and then mothers back to black (scrubbed in with old toothbrush) The stains are still coming back. I’ll be getting rid of the plastic bumpers, of course, but the bed tops are horrible! (As are the hood tie-downs)

Some black powder coated aluminum caps would be great!
Sponsored

Psycho Squirrel

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 White Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, '14 Black Grand Cherokee Limited, '63 Blue Corvair Monza,
I feel your pain but for a different reason. I’ve found that conventional clamp on style racks crush the plastic caps and eventually come loose. I’ve pulled the plastic caps and replaced them with 80-20 rails but it looks clunky and doesn’t follow the body lines. If I knew how to model these things in CAD I might have a good thing going. I reached out to @JeepCares but was told that the drawings were in the hands of the design engineers.

OP
OP
Artsifrtsi

Artsifrtsi

First Name
Jude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Resident Pompous A-Hole
I feel your pain but for a different reason. I’ve found that conventional clamp on style racks crush the plastic caps and eventually come loose. I’ve pulled the plastic caps and replaced them with 80-20 rails but it looks clunky and doesn’t follow the body lines. If I knew how to model these things in CAD I might have a good thing going. I reached out to @JeepCares but was told that the drawings were in the hands of the design engineers.
If I still worked at one engineering firm, I could 3D scan the truck.... hmm, maybe time to renew the project to use my Xbox Kinect as a scanner... (or just rent a laser scanner)

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
I've always thought a sturdy steel or aluminum angle could be used instead that a rack could be bolted/welded to, but be wide enough that a tonneau could still be installed between the uprights.

(TMTMTMTMTMTM)...

Moonshineheadache

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Great White Edition Rubicon
Occupation
Gas Pump Jockey - I hate cans!
Vehicle Showcase
I've been playing with the same idea. There is an aluminum profile that may just make the edges look a little more fitted.

Item West Profile 8 40x40-45° light, black

Jeep Gladiator Bed side caps 1603028159035

It's meant for 8mm hardware which should be strong enough for mounting. My company does business with Item and I got a quote for about $8/300mm/ft.

Check out the Item online catalog - they have loads of great fabricating parts, caps, hinges etc

Sponsored

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
I've been playing with the same idea. There is an aluminum profile that may just make the edges look a little more fitted.

Item West Profile 8 40x40-45° light, black

Jeep Gladiator Bed side caps 1603028159035

It's meant for 8mm hardware which should be strong enough for mounting. My company does business with Item and I got a quote for about $8/300mm/ft.

Check out the Item online catalog - they have loads of great fabricating parts, caps, hinges etc
Sweet! Are you going to play around with it and see how it works? Be sure to post up photos and progress; I’m sure lots of people (including me) will give suggestions and feedback. I love seeing what people come up with as full custom options that meet their specific needs!

Psycho Squirrel

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 White Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, '14 Black Grand Cherokee Limited, '63 Blue Corvair Monza,
Do you have a link?

Moonshineheadache

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Great White Edition Rubicon
Occupation
Gas Pump Jockey - I hate cans!
Vehicle Showcase
First step will be swapping out my Mopar hard tri-fold tonneau for something that sits on top of the rails and then start doing some fitting for a custom bed rack using all aluminum extrusion (including this 45 degree transition) I would love to somehow recreate the old school Gladiator bed flare with the rolled edge that could just cap our current bed side. Not as pronounced as this, but you get the idea.
Jeep Gladiator Bed side caps 1603035406534

PastV1

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave Hydro Blue soon, 2014 Highlander
First step will be swapping out my Mopar hard tri-fold tonneau for something that sits on top of the rails and then start doing some fitting for a custom bed rack using all aluminum extrusion (including this 45 degree transition) I would love to somehow recreate the old school Gladiator bed flare with the rolled edge that could just cap our current bed side. Not as pronounced as this, but you get the idea.
1603035406534.png

Gotta say that is one cool looking JT!

cgflyer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon MT, 2013 Ford Focus ST
Occupation
United States Coast Guard

Sponsored

OP
OP
Artsifrtsi

Artsifrtsi

First Name
Jude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Resident Pompous A-Hole
Almost exactly like this, just in black, not polished...

Jeep Gladiator Bed side caps 1603384951082
Sponsored