Sponsored

Bed Stiffeners - Tacoma issue only or do we need them?

Blindjustice1787

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Reading through a Tacoma forum this morning while looking for some solutions, I came across a discussion on bed and bed rail deflection. There was a lot of discussion on the weight of toppers and racks, with the answer to just add bed stiffeners.

I had not considered this, so I did a quick Google search for “Gladiator Bed stiffeners”, but only found bed stiffeners for tacomas. Is the Tacoma bed just weak, or do Gladiators also need stiffeners when putting racks capable of holding 1,000 pounds on them?
Sponsored

Puch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Electronics technician
Reading through a Tacoma forum this morning while looking for some solutions, I came across a discussion on bed and bed rail deflection. There was a lot of discussion on the weight of toppers and racks, with the answer to just add bed stiffeners.

I had not considered this, so I did a quick Google search for “Gladiator Bed stiffeners”, but only found bed stiffeners for tacomas. Is the Tacoma bed just weak, or do Gladiators also need stiffeners when putting racks capable of holding 1,000 pounds on them?
The Tacoma has a plastic composite bed.

OP
OP

Blindjustice1787

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
So what your saying is…no we don’t need them?

Beemer533

First Name
Zion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave
Occupation
Field Engineer
Correct, no need

Sponsored

fourfa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTRD + ACCC
Build Thread
Link
It’s not just the composite bed, the sheet metal around the bed corners has a sharp angle that acts as a stress concentrator, and leads to cracks and metal rips that propagate outward. Fine if stock but not strong enough for toppers with weight on them without stiffeners, esp if wheeling hard. I’ve never heard of a problem like this on any other truck.

Happened to my 05 Taco, quite badly. I put in the stiffeners, and I also use a tight ratchet strap between them when off-road

Volksparts

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 gladiator rubicon
I'm glad OP started this topic as I have questioned this since I picked up my gladiator and have been running bed stiffeners on my Tacoma for 5 years now. So glad I don't need to spend the extra cash for these on our trucks. Thanks for the info guys.

SPED1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator sport 2005 tj wrangler
Occupation
service & parts supervisor
Raptors have them too!
Jeep Gladiator Bed Stiffeners - Tacoma issue only or do we need them? 1657048062018

SPED1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator sport 2005 tj wrangler
Occupation
service & parts supervisor
Do you see any bed flex from off-road use? If you do or if you never want to see any bed flex, we have the solution for you. Here are the Evil Offroad Bed Supports which are designed to provide superior adjustment to pull you bed sides in or out with ease. These bed supports feature FK Heims along with Grade 8 Hardware so you know they will last. Each support has tabs laid out in strategic areas for maximum adjust ability and each support is notched in case you really want to crank down on the supports. To add we include backing plates for extra side support.
Sponsored