First Name
Angus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2000 XJ, 98 XJ, 96 XJ
Occupation
Firefighter
Took my less than week old baby in for a bedliner while the bed was perfect. I was assured they had done one, and they had an experienced installer. When it was done I noticed something strange about the bed lights. One wasn't flush and the other was stuck on with gray gasket sealer. Needless to say I about passed out. They had removed the lights, breaking the clips rather than mask around. They are buying new lights, but the added thickness of the liner underneath is going to be an issue again. They cannot answer me what happens to the paint if the liner is removed to allow the bed lights to install flush. Anyone else run into this issue? Thanks

20200430_170528.jpg
Sponsored

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
My Line-X guy masked off my bed lights for that reason. You might be able to score the edge around the light and pull the liner up but you'll need to hit a very delicate balance of deep enough to remove it but not so deep you hit paint. It's not something I'd trust a shop that did a poor job to do.

Nate

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2019 Jeep Cherokee, 2018 Road King, 1996 Bronco
Occupation
Machinist
Sweating over nothing.

To properly apply a bed-liner they would have had to sand down the bed and scruff it up to really good to properly bond, what they have to do to fix the lighting issue isn't even an issue to worry about.

My lights were removed, not taped over. I don't even think I’d want them to tape over as that would not adhere properly to the surface. Also done by Line-X

F160A0A9-10B0-42D6-9D52-9C408ECB949F.jpeg

OP
OP
anduff

anduff

First Name
Angus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Firefighter
Here is the bottom of the opening where the fixed tab goes over. The guy tried to push it on and bent the metal. He then tried a knife to clean the liner but also removed the paint.

20200430_173501.jpg

Swayze

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Sweating over nothing.

To properly apply a bed-liner they would have had to sand down the bed and scruff it up to really good to properly bond, what they have to do to fix the lighting issue isn't even an issue to worry about.

My lights were removed, not taped over. I don't even think I’d want them to tape over as that would not adhere properly to the surface. Also done by Line-X

F160A0A9-10B0-42D6-9D52-9C408ECB949F.jpeg
Exactly this, when they apply spray on bed liners the paint underneath isn’t anything you’d want to see again. The liners are awesome for protecting the bed, but they aren’t there to protect the paint.

http://www.toffliners.com/application-process/ (don’t know these guys at all, but they had nice pictures, hope linking is ok)

article linked shows the standard process of scuffing the bed to get it ready for liner. You can definitely get it perfect again. If the shop does bad work they may not be the best guys to fix it, but it’s a very fixable issue.

I totally understand the worry though, these are such beautiful Jeep Trucks. Congrats on the new ride.

Sponsored

OP
OP
anduff

anduff

First Name
Angus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Firefighter
I'm not sure if we are talking about the same issue. I realize the paint must be scuffed. My question and issue was with the removal of the bed lights. The attachment method requires a certain thickness, which as designed is sheetmetal only. With the bedliner material added, it's too thick for the lower tab to engage and the upper to press and clip in. I went to a dealership that uses a name brand liner and they mask the lights. I was just wondering what others may have experienced with there JT.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
The dealership masked over mine. They didn't need to remove the lights at all. I wouldn't worry about the paint underneath so much,but it would be a concern if the lights don't install flush. This stuff amazes me. I'll give my dealership credit for masking the lights but they did bedline over every screw or bolt in the bed that wasn't removed and they also bedlined the holes of the ones they did remove making it a job to reinstall the tie downs in the corners.

surge101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
The dealership masked over mine. They didn't need to remove the lights at all. I wouldn't worry about the paint underneath so much,but it would be a concern if the lights don't install flush. This stuff amazes me. I'll give my dealership credit for masking the lights but they did bedline over every screw or bolt in the bed that wasn't removed and they also bedlined the holes of the ones they did remove making it a job to reinstall the tie downs in the corners.
What’s the concern with it not being flush? I don’t think they broke my clips, but a few days after getting my liner done one of the lights fell out. I put it back in, but it no longer sits flush assuming due to the thickness of the liner not allowing it to clip. It hasn’t fallen out since, but it doesn’t sit flush.

OP
OP
anduff

anduff

First Name
Angus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Firefighter
What’s the concern with it not being flush? I don’t think they broke my clips, but a few days after getting my liner done one of the lights fell out. I put it back in, but it no longer sits flush assuming due to the thickness of the liner not allowing it to clip. It hasn’t fallen out since, but it doesn’t sit flush.
I was mainly seeing what others have done after the fact. My concern is the truck isnt a week old and a guy I paid to do a job correctly messed it up. Thier planned fix is to scrape the liner away so the new lights will go in. Of course now the paint will be compromised when scrapped. They will also have to straighten the metal at the opening when the guy kept pushing the light in. Am I being anal, you betcha. I payed a guy to do a poor job on my brand new truck.

surge101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was mainly seeing what others have done after the fact. My concern is the truck isnt a week old and a guy I paid to do a job correctly messed it up. Thier planned fix is to scrape the liner away so the new lights will go in. Of course now the paint will be compromised when scrapped. They will also have to straighten the metal at the opening when the guy kept pushing the light in. Am I being anal, you betcha. I payed a guy to do a poor job on my brand new truck.
That was meant for the post I quoted. Since he specifically said he would be concerned with it not being flush. Was wondering if there was something else I should be concerned about not being flush other than just how it looks... as for the paint, the paint is destroyed to put the liner in there in the first place.

Sponsored

ciarraikerry

First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator JTR
Occupation
Biologist
That was meant for the post I quoted. Since he specifically said he would be concerned with it not being flush. Was wondering if there was something else I should be concerned about not being flush other than just how it looks... as for the paint, the paint is destroyed to put the liner in there in the first place.
He’s not saying the paint isn’t pristine anymore. He’s saying it’s compromised at the edge of the light cut-out. Meaning if it’s not repainted it will start to rust out and get under the paint and bedliner and spread.

surge101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
He’s not saying the paint isn’t pristine anymore. He’s saying it’s compromised at the edge of the light cut-out. Meaning if it’s not repainted it will start to rust out and get under the paint and bedliner and spread.
But if they paint it and coat it, it should be fine? I see how this is concerning...

surge101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
lol. I actually went and took a look at mine, and they did the same thing. Broke my clip, and left portions of the metal uncoated in the cut out. This is what I get for not getting mad in the first place. Then again, I made another thread on here about a dealer dropping a door on my jeep and damaging my bed rail and top and everyone seemed to get mad at me for being upset about it... It's been a while since I got my bed sprayed, so hopefully they do something for me... but I'm guessing they wouldn't be too out of line to simply say its been too long.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I was saying from a new truck stand point and my OCD I wouldn't want mine not sitting flush. Mine do sit flush in my bed but they masked over mine instead of removing them which is how I have saw it done mainly. Not sure why they would go through the trouble of removing them.

surge101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was saying from a new truck stand point and my OCD I wouldn't want mine not sitting flush. Mine do sit flush in my bed but they masked over mine instead of removing them which is how I have saw it done mainly. Not sure why they would go through the trouble of removing them.
Well glad your post made me think about it, because upon inspection, I am in the same boat as the OP. Luckily, no rust on the exposed metal yet, question is if they will do anything about it a few months out.
Sponsored