Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Considering bed lining my Fender flares on my Jeep because I'm having a tough time finding some rear replacement ones. I got one that got something on it and it's got a couple fade spots on it that I can't get out. Thinking about hitting it with some bedliner all four of them until I can find some replacements. I know it wont stay on forever but if I can get a year or so with them bedlined it would be worth it for me. Need some tips on prep work for them. Probably going with Herculiner or Scorpion Liner have had positive experiences with both in the past. I did my grill myself on my JKU in Herculiner and it came out great but I know I probably didn't prep it right, but it did last almost 2yrs before it started coming off.
Sponsored

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Definitely watching this thread. Ive had this in the back of my head for a while

OP
OP
Jeeperjamie

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Definitely watching this thread. Ive had this in the back of my head for a while
Not my first choice but my OCD's starting to kick in. I got some kind of chemical or something on my passenger side rear one and after a few attempts with different products I have had no success getting the spots to go away. I have no idea how it happened either. Pictures for reference, ideally I'd prefer to replace it but would like to find two from the same Jeep for the rear so they would match as far as age goes. Don't really want to buy a new factory one because then you will tell which ones newer. Figure the bedliner would hide the imperfections that are in it as well.

Jeep Gladiator Bedlining Fenders 16301765504167683821553321080626
Jeep Gladiator Bedlining Fenders 16301766176022304013169049034744

darksidedesign

First Name
Preston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave in Gator
Occupation
Graphic Designer / Illustrator
I too have been considering this. I believe others have done it. Anyone care to share their experience?

RCKLNDR

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I personally wouldn’t do it. A few jeeps ago I bought a set of silver method wheels on Craigslist. I painted them with bed liner. They looked great initially and the paint held up well but mud would stick to them and stain the paint. They just wouldn’t come clean. Also, it wasn’t long until they faded. I imagine flares would fade faster. If it’s helpful, I used duplicolor so maybe another brand would hold up better.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeeperjamie

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I personally wouldn’t do it. A few jeeps ago I bought a set of silver method wheels on Craigslist. I painted them with bed liner. They looked great initially and the paint held up well but mud would stick to them and stain the paint. They just wouldn’t come clean. Also, it wasn’t long until they faded. I imagine flares would fade faster. If it’s helpful, I used duplicolor so maybe another brand would hold up better.
I had my fenders done in Scorpion Liner on my JKU. It never faded but it did start coming off in places after about 2yrs. Good thing about it was that it was easy to fix because of how textured it was. I paid someone $125 to do it. They did my hinges and fenders. Hinges never came off or faded in the 4+ yrs i had it on them. This was Scorpion Liner.

Jeep Gladiator Bedlining Fenders IMG_20151125_163959

Jeep Gladiator Bedlining Fenders IMG_20160619_173446

am1978

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Homebrewer
In 2018, when I bought my JL, a guy at work bought one too and had the whole thing bedliner. I haven’t seen it in about a year or so, but to each their own.

OP
OP
Jeeperjamie

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep Gladiator Bedlining Fenders IMG_20200208_172959

That's it about 5 days before I sold it and bought the JT, hinges still look good. That was February of last year, I had the hinges done in 2015.

OP
OP
Jeeperjamie

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
My question would be did you strip the silver coating off of them before applying the bedliner. The prep work is what make it stick from what I've been told. I know it's technically not made for plastic but it should stick to aluminum and steel and last. The cheaper stuff will fade but from what I've saw the more expensive Bedliner last and doesn't fade. It's pretty much like powder coating, you can't just spray it on without sand blasting or stripping the finish that's already on the surface.

RCKLNDR

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
My question would be did you strip the silver coating off of them before applying the bedliner. The prep work is what make it stick from what I've been told. I know it's technically not made for plastic but it should stick to aluminum and steel and last. The cheaper stuff will fade but from what I've saw the more expensive Bedliner last and doesn't fade. It's pretty much like powder coating, you can't just spray it on without sand blasting or stripping the finish that's already on the surface.
I didn’t strip the silver. I just scuffed it with whatever grit sandpaper was suggested. The paint stuck fine. There was no issues with peeling or chipping.

The mud staining was my main issue with the bedliner.

Sponsored

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Prep would be to sand away most of the texture, clean, plastic primer paint, bedliner on top of that. I had a neighbor who bedlined his Tacoma and after what sounded like constant struggles with his second gen peeling, he did what I described above and it seemed good for at least the 4 years he had his third gen. I know shops recommended I paint metal fenders before lining so I'd imagine plastics have the same adhesion issue without something to grip to.

OP
OP
Jeeperjamie

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
My wife would prefer I just buy some steel or aluminum ones for it. She hates the stock ones, she says they look like trash can lids. I'm a fan though, would prefer to keep them stock.

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
My wife would prefer I just buy some steel or aluminum ones for it. She hates the stock ones, she says they look like trash can lids. I'm a fan though, would prefer to keep them stock.
A Lt at the firehouse where I work has had his done. Not sure what brand he did, but it looks similar to @Jeeperjamie 's fenders.

If I were to do it, I would want a much finer finish for mine.

cdyoung9799

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator
I didn’t strip the silver. I just scuffed it with whatever grit sandpaper was suggested. The paint stuck fine. There was no issues with peeling or chipping.

The mud staining was my main issue with the bedliner.
Back in 2015 when I bought my first Wrangler, a guy in my neighborhood bought one from a "boutique" car dealer in Dallas. It was sprayed front-to-back in bedliner, and the spray was tinted a grayish-blue to match the factory paint inside the door jambs, hood, etc. He paid WAY too much for it, but it was professionally done, and it looked awesome. Not sure how it aged over time because he moved. As RCKLNDR said, I would mainly be concerned about staining if you just spray them black. But then again, they may stain just as easily with a lighter color.

OP
OP
Jeeperjamie

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
A Lt at the firehouse where I work has had his done. Not sure what brand he did, but it looks similar to @Jeeperjamie 's fenders.

If I were to do it, I would want a much finer finish for mine.
I agree, if I do mine I'll probably go with Herculiner because it does got a finer finish. The guy who did my fenders and hinges mixed some diamond flakes in with it so it would have a more textured appearance. I liked it at the time but for my JT I would prefer something a little closer to how they already lookswith a small amount of texture and maybe a tab bit darker.
Sponsored