Behind Dash USB Media Split

Blindjustice1787

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Has anyone found a way to split the USB ports behind the dash?

the intent is torun A usb-c port to the top console to allow Apple CarPlay connectivity without needing a cable constantly plugged into the front of the media port. OCD - YES, I know, but still want to do it. I have no pulled the panel out to see how it is connected, but would imagine it’s a mess or wires rather than simply a usb cable running from the back of the 8.4 uConnect to the port.

There was a 2020 tread on it, but it got no traction.
Sponsored

7thseven

First Name
Donny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 gladiator

the intent is torun A usb-c port to the top console to allow Apple CarPlay connectivity without needing a cable constantly plugged into the front of the media port. OCD - YES, I know, but still want to do it. I have no pulled the panel out to see how it is connected, but would imagine it’s a mess or wires rather than simply a usb cable running from the back of the 8.4 uConnect to the port.

I thought of doing the same. Instead of messing with the wires, I bought a used media port off of eBay, mounted atop the console, and just switched the wires over. Only downside is obviously the lower hub is not usable. I would’ve rather used my own hub, but I couldn’t find a blank plate the put where I would’ve removed the stock one.

Alans17

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S Max Tow

If you just don't want to use the USB port on the media panel, the one in the console also works for CarPlay.

Divided_Wood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Rubicon EcoDiesel
If you just don't want to use the USB port on the media panel, the one in the console also works for CarPlay.
I have had crappy luck getting that to work. Tried OEM and Anker cables with intermittent luck. Never have any issues with the ports in the media section, but the one in the center console is touch and go for me.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
My point would be to have the phone up front, and no cables across anything - not have to open the console (usually full of stuff) or have cables dropped across the dash.
So, I, too, want to put USB ports up on TOP of the dash so my phone can be in the holder on the dash and a very short cable, almost unseen, plugged in right next to it.
Thanks, but we're looking for a solution, not an alternative or using another port.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I have had crappy luck getting that to work. Tried OEM and Anker cables with intermittent luck. Never have any issues with the ports in the media section, but the one in the center console is touch and go for me.
I don't want a cable sticking out of the console, or to have to get into the console. There's stuff in there, and a tray in the console.
I told my wife I was going to try to find a way to put USB on top of the dash next to my phone mount and she LOVED the idea! She hates the cables strung to the console or drooped over the face of the dash.
There's got to be a way to add USB ports to the TOP of the dash.

Jeep Gladiator Behind Dash USB Media Split 1660853394696

Alans17

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My point would be to have the phone up front, and no cables across anything - not have to open the console (usually full of stuff) or have cabled dropped across the dash.
So, I, too, want to put USB ports up on TOP of the dash so my phone can be in the holder on the dash and a very short cable, almost unseen, plugged in right next to it.
Thanks, but we're looking for a solution, not an alternative or using another port.
Ok, that makes sense.

Alans17

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This seems like it should be very doable. Just a matter of having the right adapters.

Alans17

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I thought of doing the same. Instead of messing with the wires, I bought a used media port off of eBay, mounted atop the console, and just switched the wires over. Only downside is obviously the lower hub is not usable. I would’ve rather used my own hub, but I couldn’t find a blank plate the put where I would’ve removed the stock one.
If someone could create a plate, that seems like a great spot for something like a brake controller.

rezar1

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
I tried this. Bought couple of different splitters and almost got it to work. However, the head unit would not recognize the apple car play and it would only charge. The problem was finding a Mini USB splitter that can carry both data and charge and since it's outdated tech, not many options available.

Sponsored

Alans17

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So there's apparently a head unit limitation in most vehicles where they won't allow hubs so that's out of the question. A dumb splitter might work, but I imagine you could only have one thing plugged in at a time.

I think the best alternative here is to reroute the console USB port up to the top rather than the one in the dash.

USMC_1Wire6337

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Sport S/MT; 2017 Ram 2500 4x4 6.4 HEMI
Occupation
IT

SteveInOrlando

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Software Design
NO, NO it doesn't. Not for most of us it doesn't! Never has, and Jeep has clearly stated they know it doesn't work and have no intention of fixing it!

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
NO, NO it doesn't. Not for most of us it doesn't! Never has, and Jeep has clearly stated they know it doesn't work and have no intention of fixing it!
I've been using the center console port for Android Auto for three years. It is picky about the quality of the USB cable, and the condition of the port on the phone. My troubles were solved by getting a new USB cable every six months, and went away after finally buying a new phone. I've switched to wireless charging at home to reduce wear on the phone port. We had to switch my sister to wireless charging for her iPhone, due to the condition of the port, and she is not one to be rough with the equipment.

Alans17

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've definitely had a few bad cables. And if you carry your phone in your pants pocket, lint can build up in the charging port so that you need to pick it out with a toothpick or something. But I've never had any outright issues with the center console. I use it every single time I get in, and It's been good for me.
Sponsored