Bent Frame - Part Deux

MyRight

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Freedom, 2003 Grand Cherokee Laredo
Wait, he was racing other Jeeps in the desert?
1639405772030.png

Oh, yeah, that explains the warranty being denied...
I think it was because of the #OffRoadShenanigans...

Jeep Gladiator Bent Frame - Part Deux download (2)
Sponsored

sdk131

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow - Sarge Green
Well now (with those instagram pics) the likely story is slowly becoming more clear......Likely overloaded with gear, and blasting down rutted/washboard roads (no doubt with some "whoops") pretending to be a trophy truck.

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
I thought about the same thing, but yeah, decided that little bit of difference wasn't worth the trouble.
Normally, my OCD gets the best of me, but I'm doing my best to control it on this one.
Same here. If i got and check and find its off it will bother me forever

Sponsored

Rockabillyroy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
Well now (with those instagram pics) the likely story is slowly becoming more clear......Likely overloaded with gear, and blasting down rutted/washboard roads (no doubt with some "whoops") pretending to be a trophy truck.
Or pretending to be a mojave. Maybe his mojave is a trim pretender. Cause a real mojave should be able to handle desert running. Right? Hahaha

Regardless, looks like he 'drove it like he's sponsored'. Living large like an insta OG. Kids these days have it so good. Hahaha.

OP
OP
AmishMike

AmishMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 56 Coronet, 65 Dune Buggy,
Occupation
Whipping boy
I have said it before, they are great overlanders and they are great rock climbers; in the case of the Mojave they are great dune runners. They can/should not do more than one thing at a time.
ie. off roading + towing = bad things
dune racing + camp gear = bad things

f33d

First Name
Maxwell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Engineer
I think it was said correctly. A lot of people are out here thinking their mid sized trim is a trophy truck or competing with 3/4th ton trucks with the likes of raptor and even then we saw what happened jumping a stock raptor. I’m sure jeep is going to have a lot of these in the upcoming years with the popularity of overlanding lately. It looks like this truck was overloaded sadly.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
From a mechanical perspective, this kind of scraping should bend the bed in the opposite direction. I can't imagine this kind of a scrape bending the bed either way unless the bed was loaded to over capacity or the truck was jumped and slammed the hitch coming down - like driving off a loading dock...
People are looking at that backwards - as cause and not effect. That's a RESULT, not a cause.
The scraping is the result of jumping or bouncing off hills and coming down hard. It's not what caused it.
IMO, the dealership was correct in looking at that receiver as a SIGN of what came before.
It's a clue, a RESULT, not a cause.

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
A) 600 lbs is not "overloaded". He's probably got nearly 1200 pounds of payload, so even with him in the car he has 4-500 more pounds of payload left and its highly unlikely that he had that much stuff inside the decked system unless he was carrying uranium.

The picture shows the weight distributed pretty evenly front and rear of the axle with the rest of the weight of the truck forward of the rear axle. Unless he took a major bump really awkwardly, the frame should have bowed down, not up from all that weight. The mojave is supposed to go down dirt roads at fairly high speed, literally the point of it, unless he was overloaded or doing 60 seems like it should handle that fairly well.

I'm still not convinced its actually bent, i'm thinking its just mis-alignment as now that i've started looking every gladiator i see has some level of the top being slightly farther than the rear.

Edit: I'll also add, its a picture no way to know if he was doing 20-30-40 or 100. But if you take some clues from the 2 infront of him being a ranger and a tacoma, its safe to say it was closer to 20-30 unless they both added in bypass shocks or the road was extremely smooth.

Last edited:

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe. As the frame is designed to bend up in the event of an impact it might actually be the rebound force that does the damage. This could be why the bend is up in the middle.
Actually it's designed so the rear of the frame goes down and the frame sort of surrounds the differential. The frame is not designed to bend up at the rear, it's made to bend down like an up-side-down V.
We need to look at it not as a bend up in the middle, but a bend down at the rear. There is no bend "up". The middle is where it belongs, the rear is down.

I don’t think you can count the spare (unless he was carrying a 6th wheel?)
I thought he originally said it was a receiver mount spare carrier.......... that moves the weight way back and gives it a lot more mechanical advantage vs. a spare in the stock position.
Sponsored