Sponsored

Besides a snorkel, what mods are needed for a Jeep to go this deep in water?

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
Why cant modern Jeeps do what Land Cruisers were doing decades ago? Besides a snorkel, what mods are needed for a Jeep to go this deep?

Yes, I made a thread last year on water fording depth. This thread is different. It asks for information on what the Land Cruisers have that JTs dont and feasibility of upgrading new tech with such old tech
Sponsored

Last edited:

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
im interested to hear as well. not that I ever would. i imagine a lot has to do with seals, bearings, electrical, etc. and modern day warranty claims.

Mac Attack

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Will be buying Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Whatever you want...I can supervise!
Why cant modern Jeeps do what Land Cruisers were doing decades ago? Besides a snorkel, what mods are needed for a Jeep to go this deep?

Yes, I made a thread last year on water fording depth. This thread is different. It asks for information on what the Land Cruisers have that JTs dont and feasibility of upgrading new tech with such old tech
60 inch tires and left and right side pontoons should do it. A paddle for steering would also prove useful.

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

Mac Attack

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Will be buying Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Whatever you want...I can supervise!
So sealing tech has gotten worse over the last 20 years?

Cant see anything special in MotoBiscuits article or discussion on forums specific to LC water abilities
https://www.motorbiscuit.com/heres-what-makes-land-cruisers-so-reliable/
Was very flippant with my initial response...but there was some thought behind it. Think when you are getting into water that deep (assuming you don't really know how deep it will be and when/if you will lose traction with the earth's surface) a better question may be; how can you swim a jeep?

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Was very flippant with my initial response...but there was some thought behind it. Think when you are getting into water that deep (assuming you don't really know how deep it will be and when/if you will lose traction with the earth's surface) a better question may be; how can you swim a jeep?
My question was only on the seals. More electronics I get, but bearings, seals, materials, those things only get better as time goes on. Costs are cut in regular vehicles so new cars can be worse than old cars in long-term reliability, but for purpose-built vehicles like Jeeps and Landrovers, I don't see it. Bearings would also have no bearing (hehe) on water fording. Assuming the differential weakspot could be beefed up (breather tubes higher), it would help with fording depth. But what helps with your hood inches below the water surface? And speaking of diffs, would a single piece differential housing be better? That is, the housing for axle shafts, gear differentials, etc being made as one piece be beneficial to water fording since the vacuum caused by temperature differences in the diff when it hits the water would not allow water to get sucked in through seals.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Luck, but I'm not sure where you buy that.

Proper technique makes a world of difference but any time you get up to the alternator, you are gambling. Seals should hold up to moving water fairly well but they're not waterproof even at the rated 30 inches and will leak if you sit too long.

And speaking of diffs, would a single piece differential housing be better? That is, the housing for axle shafts, gear differentials, etc being made as one piece be beneficial to water fording since the vacuum caused by temperature differences in the diff when it hits the water would not allow water to get sucked in through seals.
Not sure what you mean by a single piece housing because that's not really a thing... you either have a cover or you have a third member like a Toyota and you'll always need wheel seals. Any time you have seals you need a breather too.

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
Nothing. People just dont show you how often they get water damage on their toyotas. You frequently have to drain Toyota motors from oil through the crank bearing after trips like that. I also dont think that a JT or a JL COULDNT do that, frankly.

The Land Cruiser is a beast, though. The design team for that vehicle is specially selected within toyota, and they buuld the entirety of the truck around a 25yr service life in africa. Theyre simply over built and robust. Even the exhaust gets different steel to handle water crossings. The electricals are better water proofed than others. Etc.

Sponsored

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Luck, but I'm not sure where you buy that.

Proper technique makes a world of difference but any time you get up to the alternator, you are gambling. Seals should hold up to moving water fairly well but they're not waterproof even at the rated 30 inches and will leak if you sit too long.

Not sure what you mean by a single piece housing because that's not really a thing... you either have a cover or you have a third member like a Toyota and you'll always need wheel seals. Any time you have seals you need a breather too.
A third member? Interesting. Maybe that' sit. I meant a single piece housing in that the part that contains the axle shafts and differential gears is all one solid forged/cast piece of metal, no diff covers. Well, I suppose welded shut would be needed...nah now that I think of it that wouldn't work either. nvm. I was trying to think around how to have fewer seals for water to get past.

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Someone on another forum mentioned turning the fan off so it doesn't die trying to spin.

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing. People just dont show you how often they get water damage on their toyotas. You frequently have to drain Toyota motors from oil through the crank bearing after trips like that. I also dont think that a JT or a JL COULDNT do that, frankly.

The Land Cruiser is a beast, though. The design team for that vehicle is specially selected within toyota, and they buuld the entirety of the truck around a 25yr service life in africa. Theyre simply over built and robust. Even the exhaust gets different steel to handle water crossings. The electricals are better water proofed than others. Etc.
c7e40e5ffebd1d0f4df27955337614a07b297294e6b6365cfe.jpg

MrFahrenheit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FC Red Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I thought I remembered reading that the transfer case breather tube on the JL/JT is especially short. Breather hose lengths would probably have to be increased for TCase and axles. With the bow wave in the front i'm not sure you would risk submerging things like the oil fill tubes or whatnot.
Sponsored