Best candidate for a diesel JT?

MattCone_TX

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ
I will be buying a JT before the end of the year. I drive 56 miles to work, one way. All highway at 65 mph+ speeds. I will be running at least 37" tires. I feel like I would be the ideal candidate for the Ecodiesel. Mainly concerned with fuel economy and longevity. The added power would be nice but not a deciding factor. Thoughts?
Sponsored

AzRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
THREE Gladiators, and a JL Wrangler
I am one of those that was interested to find out more about the diesel..... MANY on here are.

We bought our second and third Gladiators almost 3 weeks ago and yes, I looked and read stuff online to learn more about the diesel option... but it quickly faded to a NO for me.

Heres two comments I read on this forum that really stuck with me....
Someone on here wrote that, to make up the premium of $4000 diesel engine costs, you would need to drive over 300,000 miles to make up the MPG to break even.

Someone else mentioned the oil changes on the diesel are somewhere near +$220 at the dealership.

We have now have three Gladiators in our household and are very happy with the gas choice..... BUT the truth is, we are never considering going to the 37" tires for us the max will be 35's. If you want to, or must go with the 37's, maybe a diesel is right for you.

Good luck and I hope you find the information that makes your decision easy.

Last edited:
OP
OP

MattCone_TX

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ
I am one of those that was interested to find out more about the diesel..... MANY on here are.

We bought our second and third Gladiators almost 3 weeks ago and yes, I looked and read stuff online to learn more about the diesel option... but it quickly faded to a NO for me.

Heres two comments I read on this forum that really stuck with me....
Someone on here wrote that, to make up the premium of $4000 diesel engine costs, you would need to drive over 300,000 miles to make up the MPG to break even.

Someone else mentioned the oil changes on the diesel are somewhere near +$220 at the dealership.

We have now have three Gladiators on our household and are very happy with the gas choice..... BUT the truth is, we are never considering going to the 37" tires for us the max will be 35's. If you want to, or must go with the 37's, maybe a diesel is right for you.

Good luck and I hope you find the information that makes your decision easy.
I saw the same thread. I'm pretty sure they used avg mpg. Being that my driving will be nearly all highway I'm thinking I can hopefully get a lot better than 5 more mpg than the gas motor.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I will be buying a JT before the end of the year. I drive 56 miles to work, one way. All highway at 65 mph+ speeds. I will be running at least 37" tires. I feel like I would be the ideal candidate for the Ecodiesel. Mainly concerned with fuel economy and longevity. The added power would be nice but not a deciding factor. Thoughts?
If fuel economy and longevity are the 'primary' concerns, those are best achieved by leaving it stock. Larger tires are heavier, and will lower MPG and put more stress on the driveline components. How much effect it will have is hard to quantify. Using it as a daily driver, in your situation, I would go for the diesel, especially if it is going to have the larger tires on it. The important thing is doing what is going to make you happy. The advice givers on the internet aren't going to be the one who is driving and paying for it.

OP
OP

MattCone_TX

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ
If fuel economy and longevity are the 'primary' concerns, those are best achieved by leaving it stock. Larger tires are heavier, and will lower MPG and put more stress on the driveline components. How much effect it will have is hard to quantify. Using it as a daily driver, in your situation, I would go for the diesel, especially if it is going to have the larger tires on it. The important thing is doing what is going to make you happy. The advice givers on the internet aren't going to be the one who is driving and paying for it.
I agree. I know I'll be running bigger tires so my thinking is the diesel will be less affected than the gas motor. It's funny how everyone talks about the $4000 diesel option and how steep it is but then they'll turn around and drop $7000 for a supercharger that still won't make the torque the diesel does, nor will it have a factory warranty.

Sponsored

jwalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(2021 Gladiator Diesel Rubicon) (2020 Gladiator Overland) (2004 TJ, 2" lift).
@MattCone_TX I am in a similar situation. Where I live Diesel and regular gasoline are within a few pennies of each other. At todays price I calculated out the fuel cost on 100000 miles at 18 mpg ( my average in my wifes gas v6 gladiator) and a lofty goal of 28 mpg (3.0 Diesel). The gas would use 11777.6 gallons, the Diesel would use 3571.4 gallons. Todays cheapest local price is 2.19 unleaded and 2.20 Diesel. This means $12166.6 of gas and 7857.08 of Diesel for 100k miles. This is a difference of $4309.52 in 100k miles. According to literature the DEF system needs filled every 10k miles. I think it holds 8 gallons. So 10 Def fills using Sams Club DEF price of $11.98 per 2.5 gallons. Lets say we use 85 gallons of DEF in 100kmiles, 34 cases costs 407.32. There are some assumptions here but I think for some people the Diesel does recover some cost and is more fun to drive. I do my own maintenance so I pay a little more than what a gas engine costs (currently figuring about $75 at 10k miles over $40 at 6k on the gas.)
I had a JLUR with the 2.0 turbo running 37" Cooper STT pro tires. My actual mileage was about 14.5 MPG but it was fun to drive. I left the 4.10 gears in it and really only noticed I didn't use 8th gear as often. The only reason I sold my JL was to order this diesel. The 440 ft lb of torque is really why I purchased the Diesel gladiator. Anything else I might see is only a bonus.
Jeep Gladiator Best candidate for a diesel JT? IMG_3529.JPG
Jeep Gladiator Best candidate for a diesel JT? IMG_3172.JPG

OP
OP

MattCone_TX

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ
@MattCone_TX I am in a similar situation. Where I live Diesel and regular gasoline are within a few pennies of each other. At todays price I calculated out the fuel cost on 100000 miles at 18 mpg ( my average in my wifes gas v6 gladiator) and a lofty goal of 28 mpg (3.0 Diesel). The gas would use 11777.6 gallons, the Diesel would use 3571.4 gallons. Todays cheapest local price is 2.19 unleaded and 2.20 Diesel. This means $12166.6 of gas and 7857.08 of Diesel for 100k miles. This is a difference of $4309.52 in 100k miles. According to literature the DEF system needs filled every 10k miles. I think it holds 8 gallons. So 10 Def fills using Sams Club DEF price of $11.98 per 2.5 gallons. Lets say we use 85 gallons of DEF in 100kmiles, 34 cases costs 407.32. There are some assumptions here but I think for some people the Diesel does recover some cost and is more fun to drive. I do my own maintenance so I pay a little more than what a gas engine costs (currently figuring about $75 at 10k miles over $40 at 6k on the gas.)
I had a JLUR with the 2.0 turbo running 37" Cooper STT pro tires. My actual mileage was about 14.5 MPG but it was fun to drive. I left the 4.10 gears in it and really only noticed I didn't use 8th gear as often. The only reason I sold my JL was to order this diesel. The 440 ft lb of torque is really why I purchased the Diesel gladiator. Anything else I might see is only a bonus.
That's more along the lines of my thinking. I can't help but feel that fuel economy is going to be less affected when slapping on bigger tires with the diesel, especially if you regear, which I never hear anyone talk about for some reason with the diesel.

jwalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(2021 Gladiator Diesel Rubicon) (2020 Gladiator Overland) (2004 TJ, 2" lift).
That's more along the lines of my thinking. I can't help but feel that fuel economy is going to be less affected when slapping on bigger tires with the diesel, especially if you regear, which I never hear anyone talk about for some reason with the diesel.
Correct my numbers. The Gladiator has a 5.1 gallon DEF tank so say 51 gallons in 100k miles, cost is $245 in DEF fluid

Whitejeeptj

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ, 2013 F150 FX4, Gladiator Sport S Diesel
Occupation
MRI tech
This is one reason why I ordered a diesel. I'm going to run 37's (because it looks good) and still get decent mileage. One of the other reasons is the coolness factor! I have been softening up the wife for ~15 years or so that "if they every put a diesel in a jeep, I'm getting one" and once the JT came out "if they ever put a diesel in the JT, I'm getting one" SHE AGREED!

timo

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Diesel
I agree. I know I'll be running bigger tires so my thinking is the diesel will be less affected than the gas motor. It's funny how everyone talks about the $4000 diesel option and how steep it is but then they'll turn around and drop $7000 for a supercharger that still won't make the torque the diesel does, nor will it have a factory warranty.
Plus the diesel will have a far superior resale value, as we see with other trucks. Torque is absolutely addicting. My car and truck are both diesel and both put a smile on my face every time I drive them.

Sponsored

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
Don't buy the diesel. Once you do, you will never go back to the gutless gas engine!

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel