Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Sonderware Founder
Que Tal Todos :jk:
I'm a noobie to da Jeep world and looking for da Best Combo Rock Slider Rail and Step. The Rock Slider should provide the best under carriage and body-weld protection combined with a Step for easy entry and exit, preferably light weight and non-protruding -> so it won't get stuck on rocks. So far the one that I have found is da one below:

RockHard 4x4 Patriot series Tube Slider Rock Guards Angled Up for Gladiator JT 2020 ( RH-80104)

https://www.rockhard4x4.com/product_p/rh-80104.htm

RockHard told me each of these Rock Slider Rails weighs 65 lbs. I am concerned about watching my weight and the weight I put on.

So let me know if you have any other recommendations for da Best Combo Rock Slider Rail and Step.

Mil Gracias! :fist bump:
Brian
Sponsored

Last edited:

TheHops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Que Tal Todos :jk:
I'm a noobie to da Jeep world and looking for da Best Combo Rock Slider Rail and Step. The Rock Slider should provide the best under carriage and body-weld protection combined with a Step for easy entry and exit, preferably light weight and non-protruding - so it won't get stuck on rocks.
So far the one that I have found is da on below:
"RockHard 4x4 Patriot series Tube Slider Rock Guards Angled Up for Gladiator JT 2020 ( RH-80104)"

RockHard told me each of these Rock Slider Rails weighs 65 lbs. I am concerned about watching my weight and the weight I put on so let me know if you have any other recommendations for da Best Combo Rock Slider Rail and Step.

Mil Gracias! :fist bump:
Brian
From what I've seen, you won't find a proper "slider" for much less weight than that. About 60lb per side is the lowest that I've seen.

I've been researching for a while, and actually decided on the exact one that you mentioned. I was stuck between Ace Engineering, and Rock Hard 4x4, and ultimately ended up going with Rock Hard 4x4 because of the style, extra mounting points it utilizes, and the Rubi rail elimination. Since the Rubi rails come off, I'll be able to sell them to recover some of the cost of the proper sliders. That weighed in a fair bit for me personally. I know you *can* remove the rubi rails with the Ace sliders, but if you do you carry the extra weight for essentially no reason, and if you don't you leave the pinch seam exposed. The Rock Hard 4x4 rails replace the rubi rail, and cover up the exposed area in one go. I also really like the look of Rock Hard 4x4's skid kit, and figured it'd be nice to have matching brands of armor down the road for the sake of continuity.

As far as weight, that'll always be a concern...but honestly sliders are a situation were it matters least how heavy they are, in my opinion. They're essentially the lowest point of sprung weight on the vehicle, and need to be able to take a beating. I'd take solid, beefy rails over wimpy light ones any day.

If you want the beefiest sliders (that I've personally come across), check out Shrockworks, as I believe they're one of the few true frame mounted kits.

OP
OP
CrayonPonyFish
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Sonderware Founder
From what I've seen, you won't find a proper "slider" for much less weight than that. About 60lb per side is the lowest that I've seen.

I've been researching for a while, and actually decided on the exact one that you mentioned. I was stuck between Ace Engineering, and Rock Hard 4x4, and ultimately ended up going with Rock Hard 4x4 because of the style, extra mounting points it utilizes, and the Rubi rail elimination. Since the Rubi rails come off, I'll be able to sell them to recover some of the cost of the proper sliders. That weighed in a fair bit for me personally. I know you *can* remove the rubi rails with the Ace sliders, but if you do you carry the extra weight for essentially no reason, and if you don't you leave the pinch seam exposed. The Rock Hard 4x4 rails replace the rubi rail, and cover up the exposed area in one go. I also really like the look of Rock Hard 4x4's skid kit, and figured it'd be nice to have matching brands of armor down the road for the sake of continuity.

As far as weight, that'll always be a concern...but honestly sliders are a situation were it matters least how heavy they are, in my opinion. They're essentially the lowest point of sprung weight on the vehicle, and need to be able to take a beating. I'd take solid, beefy rails over wimpy light ones any day.

If you want the beefiest sliders (that I've personally come across), check out Shrockworks, as I believe they're one of the few true frame mounted kits.
Greatly appreciate your quick response and super info! Nice to know I'm going in the right direction. Thanks :)

Sponsored

OP
OP
CrayonPonyFish
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Sonderware Founder

msujedi

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S, 2014 Durango, 2020 Ibis Ripley
Vehicle Showcase
I have experience with both the ACE & RockHard sliders.

I bought the ACE sliders in 2018 for my JLU. They come away from the vehicle enough to be used as a step, but have no protruding step to get hung up on anything. They mount to the frame so they are super sturdy! The cons - they don't hide the pinch seam along the bottom edge of the Jeep, and the powdercoating didn't hold up around the welds ... showed rust pretty quickly.

Due to the 2 cons above, I went with the RockHard 4x4 Patriot sliders for my JT. Also, the slight down-angle available should serve as a slightly better step when I go up to 37s. The powdercoating has a bit more of a shine than the more matte appearance of the ACE ones. I can't say whether this is a pro or con yet. I did add some 1" wide strips of grip tape to limit slipping when wet. I LOVE that the RockHard sliders mount to the frame, but also cover then pinch seam. It gives them a more finished look.

Both brands will protect you against most parking lot door dings, keep your body away from rocks, serve as a step, and support the weight of your vehicle for jacking.

Jeep Gladiator Best Combo Rock Slider Rail and Step JLU June 2019

Jeep Gladiator Best Combo Rock Slider Rail and Step Decals on

Jeep Gladiator Best Combo Rock Slider Rail and Step Grip Tape

(Disregard the spots on the rail. It had rained, and I didn't wipe them off before this pic.)

OP
OP
CrayonPonyFish
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Sonderware Founder
I have experience with both the ACE & RockHard sliders.

I bought the ACE sliders in 2018 for my JLU. They come away from the vehicle enough to be used as a step, but have no protruding step to get hung up on anything. They mount to the frame so they are super sturdy! The cons - they don't hide the pinch seam along the bottom edge of the Jeep, and the powdercoating didn't hold up around the welds ... showed rust pretty quickly.

Due to the 2 cons above, I went with the RockHard 4x4 Patriot sliders for my JT. Also, the slight down-angle available should serve as a slightly better step when I go up to 37s. The powdercoating has a bit more of a shine than the more matte appearance of the ACE ones. I can't say whether this is a pro or con yet. I did add some 1" wide strips of grip tape to limit slipping when wet. I LOVE that the RockHard sliders mount to the frame, but also cover then pinch seam. It gives them a more finished look.

Both brands will protect you against most parking lot door dings, keep your body away from rocks, serve as a step, and support the weight of your vehicle for jacking.

(Disregard the spots on the rail. It had rained, and I didn't wipe them off before this pic.)
Hi Jed,
Greatly appreciate your detailed reply, shared experiences and photos. I think I'm going to Go RockHard. Now I just need to decide on Angled Up or Down. You picked Angled Down. My question to you is; for the Angled Down Version - > Is the bottom of the Step Bar lower than the bottom of the rail?

It's hard to tell by the photos if the Step is lower or higher than the Rail and by how much? My concern is that the Angled Down Step would catch on rocks instead of sliding on the rail. Which is why I was leaning toward the Angled Up Version. You do raise a great point on the Angled Down Step being easier to get in & out, which I'm considering now might be better. Geezzz decisions :whew:

Thanks,
Brian

msujedi

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S, 2014 Durango, 2020 Ibis Ripley
Vehicle Showcase
Brian,

Here are 3 pics ...
The tubes are 1.5" lower than body mounted portion of the slider.
But, the tubes are 2" higher than the frame.
Jeep Gladiator Best Combo Rock Slider Rail and Step height of slider at mounting point

Jeep Gladiator Best Combo Rock Slider Rail and Step height at end of slider

Jeep Gladiator Best Combo Rock Slider Rail and Step height of frame rail

Most forum members will recommend 'angled up' sliders. Angled up will perform a little bit better in some offroad scenarios ... allowing the body to roll further before contacting a rock which gives you a little more 'clearance' in that way.

Even so, you are far more likely to set your JT down on a frame rail or skid plate than the angled down slider. Even if a rock is situated outside of your frame and you set your JT on the angled down slider, it's made to support that weight. Both angled up and down will 'stiff arm' rocks and such that are next to your rig. For me, the greater gains in step functionality out weigh the very minor gains in less common off road situations.

You may want to ask guys whose off road experience exceeds my 2yrs of off roading how often the angled up slider will make a difference over the angled down slider. You might also want to watch a bunch of youtube offroading videos on terrain you're likely to drive ... watch to see specifically how often the angle of a slider would make a difference.

Best of luck in your decision!
(The good news here is that I really do think you will be happy whether you get an ACE slider, or a RockHard slider up or down.)

Jed

Sponsored

HorneyBadger

First Name
Samuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport, 2022 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Performance Analyst
OP
OP
CrayonPonyFish
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Sonderware Founder
Brian,

Here are 3 pics ...
The tubes are 1.5" lower than body mounted portion of the slider.
But, the tubes are 2" higher than the frame.
Jeep Gladiator Best Combo Rock Slider Rail and Step 1587670599267

Most forum members will recommend 'angled up' sliders. Angled up will perform a little bit better in some offroad scenarios ... allowing the body to roll further before contacting a rock which gives you a little more 'clearance' in that way.

Even so, you are far more likely to set your JT down on a frame rail or skid plate than the angled down slider. Even if a rock is situated outside of your frame and you set your JT on the angled down slider, it's made to support that weight. Both angled up and down will 'stiff arm' rocks and such that are next to your rig. For me, the greater gains in step functionality out weigh the very minor gains in less common off road situations.

You may want to ask guys whose off road experience exceeds my 2yrs of off roading how often the angled up slider will make a difference over the angled down slider. You might also want to watch a bunch of youtube offroading videos on terrain you're likely to drive ... watch to see specifically how often the angle of a slider would make a difference.

Best of luck in your decision!
(The good news here is that I really do think you will be happy whether you get an ACE slider, or a RockHard slider up or down.)

Jed
Thanks Jed for your great photos :) After receiving them and the below response from Rock Hard, I decided to join the other 99% of Rock Hard nuts in da world. Hopefully I won't regret it.

Brian,
Thank you for choosing our sliders! Angled down sliders sit 1.5" lower overall than our angled up. 45-degree difference is all. 99/100 of our customers order angled up. It's the traditional look everyone loves. We offer angled down simply because there were enough requests.

Jason @ Rock Hard 4x4
Toll Free: (844) ROCK-HARD / (844) 762-5427
[email protected]
www.rockhard4x4.com

Facebook: www.facebook.com/rockhard4x4
YouTube: www.youtube.com/c/rockhard4x4
Install Instructions: www.rockhard4x4.com/instructions
Play Hard. Crawl Hard. Rock Hard.
Sponsored