Sponsored

Best fender chop kit?

Darkspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTDR
I’m going to split my rubicon fenders. Who makes the best quality led kit for a fender chop? Rugged ridge? American adventure labs? Quake?

Thanks!
Sponsored

Willys2Gladiator

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
Also to add what's the best fenders for a chop? I know sport, sport max tow and Rubicon all have different designs. What works best and what doesn't.

amoyer_01

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Willys
Rubicon and Mojave are two pieces, while all the others are one. It all depends on what you want. The best kit is based on what type of LED you want. RR now has two different fenders with LED in them (metal and plastic).

b-roc

First Name
Broc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM
I bought and installed the AAL kit over a year ago. The lenses yellowed too much for my liking and I reached out to them and was told that this wasn't covered and was sent some twitter links as to why.

I have just purchase the quake smoked lens kit.

As far as a summary of the 2

Top level both are well made with some small differences between the 2

Metal bracket: the finish on both is quite good (there was some slight surface rust on the AAL after 2 winters of use), the AAL bracket fit slightly better (we're talking 1/32" difference maybe) to the contour of the fender flare
Hardware: both good, no noticeable difference in quality
Lens: Both are solid ... the yellowing of the AAL lens and the lack of warranty coverage and the $270 cost to replace the lens/leds is what made me switch
Electrical Harness: slight edge to AAL with one major caveat, the connectors are slightly higher quality (quakes are still good though) and AAL covers theirs with a braided cover ... the caveat is that you get to buy an extra adapter with the AAL to disable the hyperblink (I didn't think too much about this since I could already disable this with my taser, but then I realized that when going to the dealer I would have to either have the hyperblink or have the taser installed ... so I bought the harness
Warranty: Edge goes to quake (at least based off of their site's description), but the proof is in the honoring of the coverage, so only time can tell
LED Color: In person, the quake is very slightly too blue, the aged AAL is way too yellow (picture coming soon)
Compliance: Quake wins here "Certification: DOT, SAE & E-Mark Compliant"

I opted for quake's smoked lens so that any yellowing won't show. Their clear ones do diffuse the led light a bit better than the smoked though.

Hope this helps!

I will upload a comparison photo shortly (mid quake install) ...

b-roc

First Name
Broc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM
Quake ... driver's side
AAL ... passenger's side
Disregard the alignment of the quake since I didn't have it fully bolted up ... I was just checking the electrical

Jeep Gladiator Best fender chop kit? 20221106_130124

Sponsored

darkhorse13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Data Analyst
@Diode Dynamics has entered the chat :) Waiting on the STL crew to come out with a chop kit to compliment their new Elite LED headlights.

I can't believe how the AAL lens yellowed so badly... Is the Quake fitment in you photo finalized on the driver side? The gap looks way more than the AAL (maybe it's the angle?)

Thanks for the comparison. Are you still running the OEM fender liners? Just noticed you're in Denver, I'm Castle Rock.

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
Quake also offers a 3rd option which isn't so slim of an LED which is what I went with mostly to be different. Its been on a few months, no rust, no issues, quick and easy install as well.

PXL_20220724_225707557.jpg

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
@Diode Dynamics has entered the chat :) Waiting on the STL crew to come out with a chop kit to compliment their new Elite LED headlights.

I can't believe how the AAL lens yellowed so badly... Is the Quake fitment in you photo finalized on the driver side? The gap looks way more than the AAL (maybe it's the angle?)

Thanks for the comparison. Are you still running the OEM fender liners? Just noticed you're in Denver, I'm Castle Rock.

The fit on the fender depends on how well you drill the hole for the outer screw that holds the bracket. The bracket on mine fits well but the screw hole dictates how tight the fender is to it.

b-roc

First Name
Broc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM
The fit on the fender depends on how well you drill the hole for the outer screw that holds the bracket. The bracket on mine fits well but the screw hole dictates how tight the fender is to it.
I hadn't tightened any of the bolts on the quake in the picture (this was just the quick electrical check) ... the gaps closed up nicely once I tightened the bolts, but it was too dark for a reasonable picture by that point

b-roc

First Name
Broc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM

I'm running the AAL fender liners which are holding up well. I was very glad to have them for this job since they use quick disconnects ... made running the harness relatively painless ... I am guessing that I will be happy again when it comes time to change the aux battery too

Sponsored

b-roc

First Name
Broc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM

Here are pics with the install completed

I am just up the road near the Aurora Reservoir

Jeep Gladiator Best fender chop kit? 16680370123048671509777983422575

Diode Dynamics

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.diodedynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 F-150 / 2015 Mustang / 2016 Camaro

I'll be happy to pass this request along to our team!

However, our new Elite Max Headlights include SAE-compliant turn signals built into the Max model.

3:35 - SAE-Complaint Safe Turn Signal Function if running a fender chop

WhizBang

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport (EcoDiesel)
Occupation
Manufacturing Engineer
Nice write up and great info. At the moment looking at going with slim quake fender chop and either OEM LED headlights (If I can get my hands on a set), or the DV8 look alike (still researching how these compare to OEM. Just now seeing the Diode Dynamic headlight option for the first time. Would love to see video of real world use and review on them, especially the offroad light feature. I don't know if I can stomach the price point, but if the offroad lights are good enough to forego additional offroad lighting, it may be a good option. Definitely would be interested to see a matching LED fender chop kit to go with Diode Dynamic headlights. Would be cool if they "communicated" the way the for headlights and fogs in the video do.

cannonFodder

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Jumping in here to say I have been running Quake's LED fender chop kit for the Overland model since April of 2021.

Here are pics of what the lens' look like as of this morning. I've reached out to them repeatedly and struggled to get a response - and they have limited who can and can't reply to their instagram posts, which is kind of a big red flag for me moving forward.

Jeep Gladiator Best fender chop kit? driv side 1

Jeep Gladiator Best fender chop kit? pass side LED1

svc707

First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
I had Quake slim chopped when they came out and had some issues too. But they will not reply to your IG messages for warranty issues that person is hired for strictly marketing. You have to contact them through the warranty links on thier site. Warranty replies were fast, fill out the RMA forms and send them in. I was able to pay a fraction of the cost to change out to the smoked model by keeping my old brackets and they sent me just the smoked lights to install. But again you've got to email the warranty dept.
Sponsored