Sponsored

Best lift combo to preserve OEM ride? Metalcloak?

Desert Outlaw

First Name
Desert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Tomb Raider Rubicon, 2020 Rubicon Gladiator
I plan on running the stock tire/wheel combo during the work week, and a no compromise tire wheel combo while wheeling out in the deserts and mountains here in my area (So Cal and Baja). Here is a basic way this might be achieved:
1. Run shock extensions rather than aftermarket shocks. The Fox 2.0 shocks ride like Mom's Mercedes. They also soak up the bumps and jolts off road like no other. You can't mess with perfection.
2. Run a coil spacer rather than a spring with a different spring rate. The coil springs are differentiated from the JLs in that the JTs are a dual rate. This also contributes to a healthy amount of droop (limited of course by the OEM length shocks). A Polyurethane rather than steel spacer would soak up vibration and shock, contributing to the plush yet controlled ride of the stock Gladiator.
3. Front control arms with a floating bushing design. The Duroflex bushing with it's floating, self-centering design would contribute to the overall comfort along with virtually maintenance free nature making this a well thought out component.
4. ½" to 1" body lift - because a body lift (Polyurethane not aluminum or steel) will not alter the ride (much), this is also a route that I will likely take. Plus, the clearance under the fenders.
What I will avoid are any drop brackets while I have read actually weaken the frame. Since I plan to wheel my Gladiator, there can't be any weak links - like a frame failure out on the trail.
My end goal is to run a 37" tire on the trail and eventually daily drive on a 35" Falken AT3W.
I am eager to test drive a JT with the 6 pack shock to see if that is a route that I would take since I want the travel without giving up the benefits of the OEM Fox 2.0's. I have also read that someone test drove a Rubicon Gladiator with the Mopar 2" lift and 35" Wildpeaks and he "felt every bump" on the road. After 16 years driving my TJ Rubicon, I'm not going back to that!
Sponsored

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Launch Edition, 2008 ES350
Occupation
Physician Assistant
I have the Mopar lift on my Gladiator and I can assure you that it rides great. We went on a weekend trip last week and, like happens every time yo stop in a Gladiator, a lady walked up and started talking to us about it and my wife even commented on how well it rides. I cannot, however, comment on how the Mopar lift compares to stock because my Gladiator had the lift and tires installed before I even took delivery. I would bet that the person who made the comment you referenced hadn't checked their tire pressure. Bigger and heavier load rated tires require significantly less pressure than the OEM. It will affect both ride and drivability.

I will edit my comments to say that when you think about it wouldn't the guys who designed the OEM suspension components also be a pretty good group of guys to maintain that ride in an upgraded suspension system?

Tonopah01

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT auto; 2005 Wrangler TJ Unlimited
Occupation
retired
My JT came with the Mopar lift and 35 inch Toyo Open County MT tires. The psi was 47 in all four tires and actually it rode pretty well. But I dropped the psi to 34 cold (running 37 warm) and boy -- MUCH better on dirt roads. With that long wheelbase the JT rides really well on dirt now -- much better than my JK (2 door/AEV lift/BFG KO2 33 inch at 35 psi warm). Quite happy with the Mopar lift on the JT.

Sponsored

Jimmy196791

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT
OEM ride sucks on JT. The shocks are bouncing and the steering is loose.

OP
OP
Desert Outlaw

Desert Outlaw

First Name
Desert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know what you mean about the "bouncing" feel, but once you get past it, there is also the floating sensation over train tracks - when combined with the AT3Ws and Rubicon suspension.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
2 out of 3 total post by this member are unsubstantiated complaints. Hey bud, how about introducing yourself and articulating your complaints a little bit. Otherwise, there will be speculation (OK, I am already speculative).

OP
OP
Desert Outlaw

Desert Outlaw

First Name
Desert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 out of 3 total post by this member are unsubstantiated complaints. Hey bud, how about introducing yourself and articulating your complaints a little bit. Otherwise, there will be speculation (OK, I am already speculative).
This is the nature of forums, unfortunately. In the pages of FOURWHEELER, the OEM Rubicon Gladiator suspension has been described as, "Spot on." The Gladiator is the best handling Jeep I have ever driven.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
This is the nature of forums, unfortunately. In the pages of FOURWHEELER, the OEM Rubicon Gladiator suspension has been described as, "Spot on." The Gladiator is the best handling Jeep I have ever driven.
It is pretty darn good! The shock dampening in the rear is a bit soft, but other than that, I think it’s Cadillac!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Desert Outlaw

Desert Outlaw

First Name
Desert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It is pretty darn good! The shock dampening in the rear is a bit soft, but other than that, I think it’s Cadillac!
For that reason, it is hard for me to tear into perfection.

Rock Krawler Suspension

First Name
Tech Support
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 JT Rubi, 2020 JT Sport Hemi Swap, 2021 JT Rubi Diesel
Rock Krawler's front springs are Triple Rate, JT Rears are Quad Rate. This alows the Jeep to have a plush on road ride and really soak up the bumps off road. If your plan is to isolate NVH as much as possible, it's hard to beat RK.

OP
OP
Desert Outlaw

Desert Outlaw

First Name
Desert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rock Krawler's front springs are Triple Rate, JT Rears are Quad Rate. This alows the Jeep to have a plush on road ride and really soak up the bumps off road. If your plan is to isolate NVH as much as possible, it's hard to beat RK.
Triple and Quadruple rate coils? I didn't know this was possible! Thank you for this information.

Rock Krawler Suspension

First Name
Tech Support
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 JT Rubi, 2020 JT Sport Hemi Swap, 2021 JT Rubi Diesel
Triple and Quadruple rate coils? I didn't know this was possible! Thank you for this information.
We have been playing with Triple rates since 2012 and Quad rates since 2014. They function as a combination of a linear and a progressive, you get the huge free length of a multi rate coil with the ride quality of a progressive and the heavy bottom out function similar to an air bump. Our coils have been designed with desert racing in mind and have won King of the Hammers many times, heck, they were on the Savvy KOH JT finisher this past year, on top of that, they're really really plush on the street.

OP
OP
Desert Outlaw

Desert Outlaw

First Name
Desert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We have been playing with Triple rates since 2012 and Quad rates since 2014. They function as a combination of a linear and a progressive, you get the huge free length of a multi rate coil with the ride quality of a progressive and the heavy bottom out function similar to an air bump. Our coils have been designed with desert racing in mind and have won King of the Hammers many times, heck, they were on the Savvy KOH JT finisher this past year, on top of that, they're really really plush on the street.
Air bump bottom out function is important. I have led Baja runs the past 20 years and got slowed down past Zoo Road on the way to Matomi Canyon this past February. Hitting the bumpstops all day led to my MX-6 Pro-Comps failing before Matomi Wash! Having active compression control would have really sped things up that day. I will take a look at your website today.

Mission Santa Maria "Mission Impossible"
lN8LHZY.jpg

DepliAi.jpg
Sponsored