Sponsored

Best oil drain pan for me?? Best filter??

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi all,

My 3rd Jeep Wave oil change will be happening soon and I'll be back to changing my own oil for the first time in 15 years.

Two factors came into play here. 1) the jeep is so tall its easy to get under it. 2) I am cheap but like to take care of my stuff.

Prior to paying people to do this, I had access to a lift at the car dealer I used to work at when I was younger. So although I've done dozens of oil changes, I can count the number I've done in my driveway on my back on 2 or 3 fingers.

I used to drain the oil into drum on wheels with a telescoping funnel.

So . . . what is a good oil pan that will keep things reasonably clean. I will be dumping hte oil back into the 5 qt jug that I used for the new oil and probably dropping it off at my towns recycling center once a year.

Any advice for a pan that minimizes filth and drips while pouring into the jug ar eappreciated.
I've also got some funnels so if the best pan isn't easy to pour I'm good.

Filters

I remember a few years ago people were cutting filters open and comparing them. there was a huge disparity between brands. So what's good these days? Or go OEM??

Thanks
Sponsored

Lunentucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
People Work?
I've used one like this forever and am happy with it. Not needed for the Jeep but a set good ramps helps with normal cars. Gets them up high enough to get under and tilts engine so it drains well.
I do the same with the recovered oil.

Dorman 95-1371 Drain Pan - 15 Qt , Black https://a.co/d/g12oZBW

Mav4x4Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Sport Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Truck Builder
OP
OP
dcmdon

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks

JTDay

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sport S
Occupation
EHS
The JT is tall enough to use a 5 gallon bucket as a drain pan so that's what I use. Mine isn't lifted so I utilize the plastic ramps.

Sponsored

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Unless you are a tubby, you can easily do a oil change without the need of ramps on this vehicle, especially the larger tire Mojave and Rubicon's.

As to oil drain pan, I use a small 8qt bucket with deep sides that minimizes the initial drain stream back splash. Really any other made for oil drain pan will work also.

As to oil filters, I really think the OEM MOPAR filters are well built and have good media and advocate them. Also, sticking with OEM oil filters is one less problem to deal with if in the rare event you have a suspected oil related issue and need warranty work. If you go non OEM, just stick with a known name brand and avoid any bulk Ebay special filers.

Lastly, it helps to have a torque wrench for both the drain plug and oil filter cap. Easy to over torque the oil filter cap and crack the housing if you are one that cannot gauge what "just snug" is doing it by hand alone.

ShastaJT6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willy`s JT
Not necessary, but makes my life a lot easier - 3/8" drive, 1/2" magnetic socket.
I like being able to just zip the drain plug off and not worry about digging it out of the oil pan.

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
OP
OP
dcmdon

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
This looks just about perfect. Can you stand it up on its side when you aren't using it and its got 5 quarts of oil in it??
Have never done that - usually just pour into the empty jug for disposal.

Sponsored

Escape.idiocracy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt
Occupation
Hitchhiker
Hi all,

My 3rd Jeep Wave oil change will be happening soon and I'll be back to changing my own oil for the first time in 15 years.

Two factors came into play here. 1) the jeep is so tall its easy to get under it. 2) I am cheap but like to take care of my stuff.

Prior to paying people to do this, I had access to a lift at the car dealer I used to work at when I was younger. So although I've done dozens of oil changes, I can count the number I've done in my driveway on my back on 2 or 3 fingers.

I used to drain the oil into drum on wheels with a telescoping funnel.

So . . . what is a good oil pan that will keep things reasonably clean. I will be dumping hte oil back into the 5 qt jug that I used for the new oil and probably dropping it off at my towns recycling center once a year.

Any advice for a pan that minimizes filth and drips while pouring into the jug ar eappreciated.
I've also got some funnels so if the best pan isn't easy to pour I'm good.

Filters

I remember a few years ago people were cutting filters open and comparing them. there was a huge disparity between brands. So what's good these days? Or go OEM??

Thanks
Fumoto valve and a hose. Does not get any cleaner!

Edit- have switched over to valvomax… even better!

Last edited:
OP
OP
dcmdon

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fumoto valve and a hose. Does not get any cleaner!
Ha. I just remembered that I bought a Femco Valve before I got the Gladiator.

I've used Fumoto for 20 years, but worry about how much it sticks out.

I got the Femco Compact. And it comes with a drainer that I run right into the jug. Femco is another well known brand that is used by a lot of fleet operators.

Jeep Gladiator Best oil drain pan for me??  Best filter?? 1670605608462

Ha Ha. Sometimes I forget that I have already solved a problem.

Thanks to all for your suggestions.

AstroZombie

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon, '04 Tacoma PreRunner
Occupation
Tech Support
i have a big green oil pan holds like 10 qts. The deal had tightened the drain plug so tight teh wrench stripped the drain plug. I had to use Vice grips to take it off. I always use the OE filter. You can get it at autozone. I am a slob so i always put cardboard under my drains are to help my messes.

Osteodoc08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mojave
No ramps here, just a small bucket. Valvoline oil and Wix or Mobil filter

Escape.idiocracy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)