Sponsored

Best riding shocks for a spacer lift and max tow springs

glassjawkid32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
What's the best riding shocks for our trucks? Looking at rancho rs5000x as they have good reviews but want to make sure I don't miss other better options. Not looking to go all out on a temp spacer lift.
Sponsored

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
I had Rancho 9000s on a JKU, they rode well and the adjustability was cool, but they have a steel body and corrode, Bilstein 5100s tend to ride firmer but same issue with corrosion. I have the Fox shocks from the Rubicon but feel they are under dampened with the 35" tires I have. Temped to get the 9000s again and just spray them down well with Fluid Film every year.

OP
OP
glassjawkid32

glassjawkid32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I had Rancho 9000s on a JKU, they rode well and the adjustability was cool, but they have a steel body and corrode, Bilstein 5100s tend to ride firmer but same issue with corrosion. I have the Fox shocks from the Rubicon but feel they are under dampened with the 35" tires I have. Temped to get the 9000s again and just spray them down well with Fluid Film every year.
I was looking at those as well but can't seem to find stock height rears. My plan is to run the rough country 2.5 up front and .75 rear spacers for a bit then upgrade down the line.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
“Best riding shocks” and spacer lift are in conflict with each other…
Fox 2.0 sounds like they would reasonably meet your need though.

Sarge502

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
Vehicle Showcase
I can speak on the spacer lift but not the max tow springs...But I will say the Rubicon Fox shocks work great for me. I upgraded to those from my stock Overland shocks/springs and for me it was a major improvement. Plus added the spacer lift (Teraflex).

Other than that I'd maybe say the normal Fox 2.0 ones.

Sponsored

OP
OP
glassjawkid32

glassjawkid32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
“Best riding shocks” and spacer lift are in conflict with each other…
Fox 2.0 sounds like they would reasonably meet your need though.
Yeah I have realistic expectations. The stock shocks though leave a bit to be desired.

OP
OP
glassjawkid32

glassjawkid32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I can speak on the spacer lift but not the max tow springs...But I will say the Rubicon Fox shocks work great for me. I upgraded to those from my stock Overland shocks/springs and for me it was a major improvement. Plus added the spacer lift (Teraflex).

Other than that I'd maybe say the normal Fox 2.0 ones.
I've thought about picking up some rubi shocks, but figure I'll try and get rid of the shock extensions if possible. Still might go that route though.

Tim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
I've thought about picking up some rubi shocks, but figure I'll try and get rid of the shock extensions if possible. Still might go that route though.
I would caution against getting Rubi shocks. I did the AEV spacer lift on my truck (Rubicon) and the stock shocks are terrible with bigger tires. The stock ride was soft and bouncy and it’s even worse now as the shocks can’t dampen the heavier weight of 35s as @Mac mentioned. I actually just got a set of Falcon SP2 3.3s this week, which only took about 6 weeks, by the way. I haven’t installed them, yet, but fully expect a night and day difference in ride quality. I will also be ditching the AEV 2” spacers for Clayton springs at some point soon. Like most things in life, this is another instance where you get what you pay for.

OP
OP
glassjawkid32

glassjawkid32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I would caution against getting Rubi shocks. I did the AEV spacer lift on my truck (Rubicon) and the stock shocks are terrible with bigger tires. The stock ride was soft and bouncy and it’s even worse now as the shocks can’t dampen the heavier weight of 35s as @Mac mentioned. I actually just got a set of Falcon SP2 3.3s this week, which only took about 6 weeks, by the way. I haven’t installed them, yet, but fully expect a night and day difference in ride quality. I will also be ditching the AEV 2” spacers for Clayton springs at some point soon. Like most things in life, this is another instance where you get what you pay for.
Well dang.... I just had 35 inch yokos put on so I guess I'll just give the Ranchos a shot. Dont really want to move up to fox or falcon as I plan to scrap this kit in 1-2 years anyways and move up. Thanks everyone for the input.

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Overland Diesel
The Rancho 9000xl are probably the best because of the adjustability. They are a terrific shock for the money.
Sponsored