Best Rock Lights

The 1

First Name
Nigel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKUR
I’d like to go ahead and add rock lights. It’s important that they have a true white setting, but would like the flexibility to change the color. Can anyone recommend something that meets these requirements?
Sponsored

jay21mojave

First Name
J. T.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave Gladiator 2013 JKU Sport '09 Patriot
Occupation
Sales Acct Mgr - OEM Wholesale DLR Group

blau iii

First Name
nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 335i, 2014 X5, 2021 JTR
Build Thread
Link
I was in the same boat as you but didn't like the way any of the multi color lights mount. I'm going to order the KC Cyclones in Amber towards the middle of this month, they're updating with more LEDs. I'm going to run 8 under the truck and two under the hood.

MHulsey91

First Name
Mathew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
LUX Lighting systems hands down. I have the Max RGB system. I have 12 lights total. In the pictures I only have 4 installed. I have the other 8 sitting on my work bench waiting to be installed but currently in the process of trying to move so that got put on the back burner. They have full RGB capability with a pure white setting. These mount magnetically so if you are working on the trail and need to move one to redirect light then you can with no issue.

https://luxlightingsystems.com/products/max-rgb-color-changing-led-rock-lights

20210724_215725.jpg

20210724_220112.jpg

DeezJT

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pending
Occupation
Process Engineer
@MHulsey91 x2. I have Lux max pulled from a previous build pending install. I love their wire protection, magnetic mounts, and after getting them caked in mud, snow, and other elements, all I have to do is occasionally wipe them clean. No issues for years. Highly recommended.

Sponsored

jac04

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2014 JKRX SWB
I have the LUX rock lights on my JK and they work really well. However, I picked up a set of 8 on ebay for about $40 about 5-6 years ago on a no reserve auction. Just couldn't pass up that deal.

A little off topic, but functional rock lights don't belong just in the fender wells above the tires. The whole idea of real rock lights is to provide full light coverage under & around the vehicle for night spotting. Putting the lights in the fender wells results in a big shadow under the vehicle and around the tires. If you are just going for the look, then forget all of the above and put them wherever you want.

OP
OP

The 1

First Name
Nigel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKUR
I have the LUX rock lights on my JK and they work really well. However, I picked up a set of 8 on ebay for about $40 about 5-6 years ago on a no reserve auction. Just couldn't pass up that deal.

A little off topic, but functional rock lights don't belong just in the fender wells above the tires. The whole idea of real rock lights is to provide full light coverage under & around the vehicle for night spotting. Putting the lights in the fender wells results in a big shadow under the vehicle and around the tires. If you are just going for the look, then forget all of the above and put them wherever you want.
I plan to have them fully functional for being off-road at night. I may end up going with 12 lights to make sure I have everything illuminated underneath. Thanks for the tips and response!

jac04

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2014 JKRX SWB
I plan to have them fully functional for being off-road at night. I may end up going with 12 lights to make sure I have everything illuminated underneath. Thanks for the tips and response!
I run 8 on my 2-door JK, so I was thinking a minimum of 10 on the JT:
2 at rear x-member
2 at front x-member
3 each side along rocker area. I found that mounting them to the body just inboard of the rock sliders works fairly well and keeps them protected. If you get 12, I would maybe try a total of 4 each side - 2 outboard of the frame rails and 2 inboard.

My LUX lights had really long wiring on them, so I tried several different mounting points before making the final decision and routing the wires.

Forum Crawler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Working for the man every night and day
Baja Designs :rock:

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
I love Baja Designs but $70 a pop is too much for rock lights. KC Cyclones are the best I've found at a reasonable price and they're super easy to wire up and install. The single bolt through the middle is a great design and there's no concerns with making sure they're straight.

Sponsored

Blue Ridge

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys in sarge green
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Pet shop owner
I have a friend with a Wrangler using DCS lighting and they look super nice. They're a newer company to the marketplace but he praises how good to deal with they were and if you call the customer service line, you're likely to get the owner. I'm leaning towards getting some myself and having them wired in with the interior lights so that they turn on when doors open. If I had a critique, it's that they might be too bright. https://dcslighting.com/shop/ols/products/jt-gladiator-rock-light-kit if you want to take a look.

MHulsey91

First Name
Mathew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S

That's why I posted the picture of just the 4 on I had 8 on my JKU and had good coverage. A JT would probably be good with just 10 but I had the first 8 and needed more with the 20FT wire leads so eventually I will have 12 to eliminate the wheel shadows.

Jocww

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
thewongwindingroad.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
73 Fj40 lq9 on 38s 2021 JTRD Gecko Green on 37s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Flight Instructor
is the controller worth the 70 bucks? I plan to run this through my aux switch, but would like to control the colors some how.

blau iii

First Name
nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 335i, 2014 X5, 2021 JTR
Build Thread
Link
8 Amber KC Cyclone V2 and I have two "diffused" ones under the hood - all controlled by aux 3. I also wired them to come on briefly when I unlock the Jeep.

Jeep Gladiator Best Rock Lights IMG_6826

ospreyfe55

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
F-35 Weapons Instructor
LUX Lighting systems hands down. I have the Max RGB system. I have 12 lights total. In the pictures I only have 4 installed. I have the other 8 sitting on my work bench waiting to be installed but currently in the process of trying to move so that got put on the back burner. They have full RGB capability with a pure white setting. These mount magnetically so if you are working on the trail and need to move one to redirect light then you can with no issue.

https://luxlightingsystems.com/products/max-rgb-color-changing-led-rock-lights

So I know it’s only been a few months since you post about these lights but I’m about to pull the trigger on them. How is the RGB lights holding up? I planned on getting the Max White but now I see the RGB with White feature. Did you also get the Bluetooth controller? I think I’m going with the single zone. Any feedback or advice to offer?
Sponsored