First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ram 2500
Occupation
Truck Driver
Looking for shocks for both my Gladiator and the wife’s JLU. both were lifted with spacer lifts and factory shocks in relocation brackets. The factory shocks just aren’t up to the task of taming 35s so I want to remove the relocation brackets and put shocks on that are made for 2-3 inches of lift. So far in the price range I’m looking at I’ve found the Bilstein 5100, Skyjacker M95, Rancho rs9000, and rough country v2. I’m leaning towards the Bilsteins but am open to other suggestions, either on or off my list
Sponsored

sass JT

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
MWD
Personally IMO, it be between the 5100’s and the Rancho 9000’s.

The skyjackers are okay at best and the “rough country’s” are garbage.

if it was my rig I’d do the 5100’s. Again this is my opinion.

good luck with your decision

OldButStillJeeping

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave, '92 Jeep YJ, 2017 F250 4WD
Bilstein or Rancho 9000.

But for a few dollars more, Fox is definitely worth it.

DeezJT

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pending
Occupation
Process Engineer
Have you considered Metalcloak Rocksports nitrogen based shocks?
they run under 300 for the whole set. After having Biksteins on my many Jeep applications, I chose the rocksports since they came uniformed with my lift instead of mix n match. They also are compared to 5-6” lift shocks… they will net u awesome articulation. I never noticed any shock fade on a days long trail ride, but I also don’t do desert type high speed prerunner. If I did that, I would stick to monotubes/reservoirs.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I ran rancho 9000's on my JKU and loved them. When the Rubicon Fox shocks give out on mine I'll probably end up with a set of the 9000's.

Sponsored

JTpoor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Tyrant
I'm going with the Rancho 9000's extended length version and skip the install of my shock extensions. I've had them on other vehicles and they have been great. While not true reservoir shocks, the ability to adjust them for different types of driving is nice.

Timgco

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Bilstein 5100’s ride great. But that may not solve the issues of “not being up to the task. Once you add bumpers, winch, etc, the factory coils are still too soft.
imho, swap out one Jeep to an AEV lift with their tuned Bilstein 5100’s. You’ll be able to sell your leveling kit and stock suspension if you have a rubicon To help offset the cost. The key is to put shocks on that are valved to match the coils tuning. They work together for heavier loads. I’ve played with one JL for a customer that went through two different aftermarket shocks and didn’t work out for him. One was ran home adjustable. He is running full width bumpers, rack, roof top tent...so quote a bit of gear. He swapped out to AEV and solved his issue of having too soft suspension.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Of the two, I would lean towards the Bilstein than the Rancho shocks.

Every set of Rancho shocks I have run in the past would not survive one winter without looking like rusted ass. Biltstein's would last a few more winters before looking like ass.

I know that is just cosmetics but that is how I feel about it.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Of the two, I would lean towards the Bilstein than the Rancho shocks.

Every set of Rancho shocks I have run in the past would not survive one winter without looking like rusted ass. Biltstein's would last a few more winters before looking like ass.

I know that is just cosmetics but that is how I feel about it.
Fluid film the rescue. A good coat of that stuff on any of your Jeep underside parts will work wonders on rust. In reality, even my Fox shocks showed signs of rust after a year without any protection.

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
I've had Bilstein 5100HDs on my Dodge for more than 15 years now. Still look great, perform great. I would buy another set with no hesitation.

I had a rancho steering stabilizer that was absolute crap and broke through its own mounting hardware in traffic before I had the chance to put it out of its misery.
Sponsored