Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
  • Banned
I'm a happy owner of their Diamond Twill product for a Sahara JLU (i.e. 4 door).

Moreover, I bought the product with open eyes that its benefits would more than outweigh the fact that it would likely be noisier at highway speeds than the Freedom Panels it replaces: not that the difference in noise between the two is profound. But I was wondering what, if anything I might do to bring the noise down a bit on the Sunrider so I can have better conversations with passengers while on the highway.

I've watched videos and done things like these:

I was wondering what people might think of the use, say, of a grommeted-perimeter moving blanket, attached in the rear of the JL, say, at the Sports Bar with bungee balls, and in the front by looping ball bungees around the two Sunrider latches, as it regards reducing noise when the Sunrider is closed.

[If no then] how's about putting foam between the moving blanket above and the Sunrider top?

I don't want to waste time trying something likely to yield little benefit. Besides, the Sunrider for me is like a between season coat (Spring/Fall) as I transition from hard to soft top.

Thanks.
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Rahneld

I'm pretty confident that no one is going to truly defeat the wind noise associated with the Bestop Sunrider for JL when it is closed and the JL is traveling over say 65 mph.

I do lots and I am talking lots of long road trips (1,200 mi's at a pop) ......and best I found to deaden the sound in the cab with the closed JL, is to place two Harbor Freight, light weight, black shipping pads ($4.00+-) on top of my Alien Sunshade, between it and the closed SR.

Doing the aforementioned, helps lots to deaden the wind noise sound but in reality, only helps some..

I place the shipping pads on top of the Alien, at the start of my 1,000 mi.+ road trip and remove immediately when I arrive at my destination. I never use the pads when I'm lets say local.

In regard to the associated wind noise with the SR ..... a trade off for having the SR for my day to day use on Sunny days. It is open lots!

Lou Bunn

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
Talking while driving?? Huh? I drive and my wife and daughters are glued to their phones, hell - one even texted me she wanted to stop and eat, seriously! I hope she was just playing, I didn't raise them to be that shallow.

karynm8621

First Name
Karyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
I have a twill sunrider. Honestly I don't see much of a difference in he closed position from the freedom panels

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My experience is the same. 70+ on highways with no problems conversing.
Mainly heading INTO head winds at 65+, is when wind noise exacerbates.

OP
OP

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
  • Banned
@Rahneld
... on top of my Alien Sunshade, between it and the closed SR..
I too have a sunshade. As a result, I'm fine with opening and closing the Sunrider like I would the OEM soft top (i.e. from outside) because of this....

...the shade being more of a pro for me than the con of not being able to open and close the SR from within the cab.

Have you devised a way to get around this or is such methods of opening and closing your fate as well?

Thanks.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I too have a sunshade. As a result, I'm fine with opening and closing the Sunrider like I would the OEM soft top (i.e. from outside) because of this....

...the shade being more of a pro for me than the con of not being able to open and close the SR from within the cab.

Have you devised a way to get around this or is such methods of opening and closing your fate as well?

Thanks.
@Rahneld

Well, I just open drivers window, reach out, grab the SR and flip it backwards. I find it easy to do.

When I get out, I flip it closed from outside but I can close while sitting in drivers side seat, also.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
...sounds like you have a good working plan.

I wonder if Bestop has plans on releasing this product for the JL...It's JK Sunrider compatible according to the website.

https://www.bestop.com/jeep/2016/wrangler/retractable-sunshade-category/

retractablesunshade.jpg
@Rahneld

@BestopTeam has said in time there will be one specific for the JL but they will not commit to a time frame, as to when it will be available.

I would not expect to see it avail., say mid Summer 2019, based on what Bestop has spewed.

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ram TRX, 20' Gladiator LE
I have a twill sunrider. Honestly I don't see much of a difference in he closed position from the freedom panels
Same here. Not a big difference between the two. The convenience factor far outweighs whatever noise increase by 100x.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Subscribed as I just ordered one last night. Desert Rat shows the twill at $720 on their site right now "on sale." If I can work that with the $50 rebate it'll be a "good" price relatively speaking....

KingCon

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon jl
@Rahneld

I'm pretty confident that no one is going to truly defeat the wind noise associated with the Bestop Sunrider for JL when it is closed and the JL is traveling over say 65 mph.

I do lots and I am talking lots of long road trips (1,200 mi's at a pop) ......and best I found to deaden the sound in the cab with the closed JL, is to place two Harbor Freight, light weight, black shipping pads ($4.00+-) on top of my Alien Sunshade, between it and the closed SR.

Doing the aforementioned, helps lots to deaden the wind noise sound but in reality, only helps some..

I place the shipping pads on top of the Alien, at the start of my 1,000 mi.+ road trip and remove immediately when I arrive at my destination. I never use the pads when I'm lets say local.

In regard to the associated wind noise with the SR ..... a trade off for having the SR for my day to day use on Sunny days. It is open lots!

Sounds like a really nice setup...post some pics!!

You dont have or ever have posted one single picture of all your claims.

Please entertain us we would love to check out your build!

DURSO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I'm getting a slight whistle with my Sunrider closed at around 60+ mph. I am thinking of putting some weather stripping on the header bar. Has anyone tried this? Thoughts??

Screen Shot 2019-05-19 at 8.40.09 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-19 at 8.42.33 AM.png
Sponsored