Sponsored

BEWARE!!! Lower ball joints...creaking/clicking noise...

Eric Kern

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition Bright White (stock) / 2009 Harley Davidson Night Train / 2021 Yamaha GP1800R Riva Racing Stage 1+
Just a little back story, have about 22k miles on my JT LE. About 2 days ago I started hearing a minor click/creak here and there when I’d do slow turns (left or right). This progressively got worse, multiple clicks both directions, every turn. Finally did some research and found the solution on JL forums. The lower ball joint castle nuts are just not torqued properly from the factory, plain and simple. If not for the cotter pins, they would fall right off. Both castle nuts were finger tight when checked. The issue has clearly rolled over from the JL’s to the JT’s. Retightened both, problem solved. See video link below...

Ball Joint Castle Nuts
Sponsored

Last edited:

DaveL

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Thanks.
Wonder what else isn't torqued right.
With so many posts about wandering and steering problems on JL's -- Time to check under there.

ArmyJeepGuy666

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Thanks.
Wonder what else isn't torqued right.
With so many posts about wandering and steering problems on JL's -- Time to check under there.
Yes, exactly what I wondered. Few days ago I went and loosed everything suspension related and retightened to spec. This helped solve the little bit of wandering that even my aftermarket stabilizer left behind.

DaveL

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Yes, exactly what I wondered. Few days ago I went and loosed everything suspension related and retightened to spec. This helped solve the little bit of wandering that even my aftermarket stabilizer left behind.
Mechanics taught me a long time ago to check simple things first. But I'm getting on (over 70) and going under a vehicle isn't as easy as it used to be.
We have more than a little bit of wandering in the JL.

OP
OP
Eric Kern

Eric Kern

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition Bright White (stock) / 2009 Harley Davidson Night Train / 2021 Yamaha GP1800R Riva Racing Stage 1+

Sponsored

OP
OP
Eric Kern

Eric Kern

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What is the torque spec?
So on the JL forum many folks claim 33ftlb for the lower, 55ftlb for the upper. But if that’s the true factory spec, it’s clearly not enough.