Sponsored

Bike hitch mounts

JustJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19’ Jeep Wrangler Sport
Hi all,

(Thank you in advance for any guidance/advice/suggestions). I have a 2019, 4 door, Sport and need to get a bike hitch mount for a mountain bike. Curious to know if anyone has any recommendations less than $300. I read an article from ‘etrailer’ that suggested one from Thule which sounded good but it did not come with locks or straps ...which came at an additional cost making it more expensive in the end. I would like everything in all one package- unfortunately no knowledge or awareness regarding hitch mounts. Any help is sincerely appreciated ☀
Sponsored

Bstran

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Granite Crystal, 2017 F150
I really like my OneUp rack, needed an 8” receiver extension for it to work on the Jeep.

Doesn’t fall into your desired price range but I just took 2 bikes 2300 miles cross country with not one issue. Plus very quick and easy to use.

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Hi all,

(Thank you in advance for any guidance/advice/suggestions). I have a 2019, 4 door, Sport and need to get a bike hitch mount for a mountain bike. Curious to know if anyone has any recommendations less than $300. I read an article from ‘etrailer’ that suggested one from Thule which sounded good but it did not come with locks or straps ...which came at an additional cost making it more expensive in the end. I would like everything in all one package- unfortunately no knowledge or awareness regarding hitch mounts. Any help is sincerely appreciated ☀
Which ever hitch based bike rack you end up with I recommend a hitch pin lock like this that's both lockable and anti-rattle:

https://www.amazon.com/Pro-63100-Lo...tle+Hitch+Pin&qid=1555634809&s=gateway&sr=8-3

JKJ

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Try rackattack.com. 20% off on some models from Thule. The Vertex 2 is price matched on their site for $249.
I sold Thule racks for years back in the 80s and 90s. Worth the couple extra bucks imo.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I just ordered the Kuat Transit 2 because it was one that was 1) relatively affordable (maxing your budget here) and 2) I could confirm it would accept the 3.0s on my plus bike.

You'll need a hitch extender to play nice with the spare, and forget about opening the rear while the rack is in.

I now have a plan to custom fab a way to lower the rack a bit and have it drop out of the way - of course more expensive racks will do this for you, but while they'll clear liftgates on SUVs and cute-utes I dunno if any drop enough to allow our gates to swing open

Sponsored

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I now have a plan to custom fab a way to lower the rack a bit and have it drop out of the way - of course more expensive racks will do this for you, but while they'll clear liftgates on SUVs and cute-utes I dunno if any drop enough to allow our gates to swing open
The rack I linked to above is $130 and folds down enough to let the door open...... supposedly.

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
The rack I linked to above is $130 and folds down enough to let the door open...... supposedly.
That’s probably your best bet then. I have a quat and am planning on getting the swing away bracket, but that’s because I go mountain biking with my wife and baby, and we take turns biking and watching the baby. Therefore I want to be able to open the tailgate to access the stroller without removing both bikes. If I was single, I’d get the Quadratec though ;)

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic

Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubi
@JustJoy If you do a search you will find a few good results. I've been an avid cyclist for many many years... I've pretty much tried every good rack on the market... Thule, Küat, Northshore, Yakima... and some no name brands. Hands down, the best rack on the market is 1Up. https://www.1up-usa.com

Yes, 1up is pricey. But you 100% get what you pay for. Quality is second to none. It always cracks me up when people put big dollar bikes on low dollar racks. I encourage any rider that has quality bikes to buy a quality rack.

Sponsored

PunKin

First Name
Pj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (SOLD)
Occupation
Growth Engineering Tech
Vehicle Showcase
I use Saris Bones 2 Bike Hitch Bike rack paid about $180 shipped last year (This model) . It was reviewed by one the biker on youtube!

Last edited:

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
@JustJoy If you do a search you will find a few good results. I've been an avid cyclist for many many years... I've pretty much tried every good rack on the market... Thule, Küat, Northshore, Yakima... and some no name brands. Hands down, the best rack on the market is 1Up. https://www.1up-usa.com

Yes, 1up is pricey. But you 100% get what you pay for. Quality is second to none. It always cracks me up when people put big dollar bikes on low dollar racks. I encourage any rider that has quality bikes to buy a quality rack.
I really dismissed 1-Up for a long time because of the overly positive comments, the price, and the ugly design, but damn if they aren't amazingly good. I have a Kuat but like the 1-Up better.

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
Would recommend Yakima (which we have used for years) or the Thule. Easy to find a deal on Craigslist. Good advice on the locking anti-rattle pin.

I used a 8" extension to put it out past the tire. Lock both the extension and the rack.

Again, no issues.

Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubi
I really dismissed 1-Up for a long time because of the overly positive comments, the price, and the ugly design, but damn if they aren't amazingly good. I have a Kuat but like the 1-Up better.
Me too... I was so annoyed with all the 1up homers. Then I bought one, all is understood and forgiven.

smores

First Name
Sammy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
I use Saris Bones 2 Bike Hitch Bike rack paid about $180 shipped last year (This model) . It was reviewed by one the biker on youtube!

Are you able to fully use your tail gate? Also, I see that you have 37" tires.. does the rack clear that as well? Thanks!
Sponsored