Sponsored

Bike rack and Tonneau cover

nilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I am looking for a solution for a rack system with a tonneau cover. There doesn’t seem to be a product available yet.

Has anyone tried this? Is there another similar version of good quality?

Durevo Universal Pick-Up Truck Ladder Racks Two Aluminum Bars Length Adjustable from Min 49 Inch to Max 64 Inch Four Brackets Mount Inside The Bed Rails of Roll Up Tonneau Cover (5.9', Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MZ5VN46/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_rBSzDbWYZWENC

Thanks,

Nilesh
Sponsored

PsyRN

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 StingGray JTR, 2016 Bonneville T120 Black
I am looking for a solution for a rack system with a tonneau cover. There doesn’t seem to be a product available yet.

Durevo Universal Pick-Up Truck Ladder Racks Two Aluminum Bars Length Adjustable from Min 49 Inch to Max 64 Inch Four Brackets Mount Inside The Bed Rails of Roll Up Tonneau Cover (5.9', Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MZ5VN46/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_rBSzDbWYZWENC

Thanks,

Nilesh
That’s my dilemma too. I want a cover, but I also need to carry a bike(s).

Very interesting. I like it. I also like that sliding hard cover in the video. lol

LongTimeListener

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
The ability to mount things on top of the cover is what has me looking at a Diamondback. Because of the nature of the cover, you can mount almost anything you want on top of it. Just drill a few holes and affix your mount.

7728161200_fcc68398b1_z.jpg

Reactions: Tim

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1989 grand wagoneer

Thanks,

Nilesh
Hitch mounted bike carrier?

This is the only one I've seen on a Gladiator, at least working. Price is around a grand for both, which is actually cheaper than I expected given a lot of the racks are over a grand by themselves. Available in both half and full height. If I had it to do again, I'd seriously think about this combo, though it's about twice what I spent.

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/tonneau-covers-and-bed-racks.20904/#post-322140

Right now I have both a tonneau cover and a rack, but can't run them at the same time. NBD as I don't need the rack very often and usually have stuff that wouldn't fit under the tonneau when I do, but the above is a nice solution that wouldn't require any swapping back and forth.

Sponsored

PsyRN

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 StingGray JTR, 2016 Bonneville T120 Black
The JCR rack seems a bit overkill for me though. I don't plan on using an RTT and I would want relative easy removal to use the truck for hauling stuff. I also don't want or like hitch mounted bike racks. I've never felt my bike hanging off the back to feel very secure, and always worried about getting rear-ended.

Sixt7gt350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S max tow, LJ, M725
The ACE Upper Decker has me thinking there is a metal "perimeter" solution waiting to be made.
Tonneau would attach to the metal, not the bed. The whole thing would pivot on front hinges or you could roll/fold the tonneau. Crossbars would attach on raised rails.

I really like where the Upper Decker went and think there are more options/variations to be created. (Including side pivot, but I also don't understand why they didn't use existing holes for the hinges)

Seansmd

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiaator Rubicon 2020, 2018 Audi SQ5, 1967 Camaro RS/SS
Occupation
Tech
I can remove the rear cross member pretty quick, and might as some mechanism to make it quicker, pin etc. I was thinking of the levers like on your front bicycle tire so i can put torque on it.

JCR has bike mounts for the sides too.

20191220_113751.jpg

madduck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gator JT, '77 SJ: Cherokee Chief, '06 LJ
Occupation
High Speed Al tubing manager
The JCR rack seems a bit overkill for me though. I don't plan on using an RTT and I would want relative easy removal to use the truck for hauling stuff. I also don't want or like hitch mounted bike racks. I've never felt my bike hanging off the back to feel very secure, and always worried about getting rear-ended.
i've used kuat and rocky mount hitch racks and never had a problem. i've had over $10k worth of bikes on them at a time and never been nervous about them coming loose. now, getting rear ended...that's another story.

i also have a couple of these:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GT2VYI/ref=as_li_ss_tl?tag=rackmaven-20

i dont know any details wrt to when and where you ride, i.e. are you hitting the jeep trail for a couple days and need the bed for camping gear? if so the thule wont work. but with the thule it's easy to get in and out. i use the thule in my ford with a short bed so i must improvise. youre supposed to place the front tire in the rack, i place the rear wheel in the rack and turn the front wheel to the side so the bike fits. i've just ordered my JT so i dont know if the thule will work.

i'm trying to determine how i'm going to carry bikes also. when i head out of town with the guys we'll be wheeling and camping, no need for a bike. when i take my wife, we'll do some wheeling and camping and riding. so, if i go with the hitch rack i'll need to take into consideration where i'm going a little bit closer. dont think the rack would make a very good rock slider.

shrinkhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
i've used kuat and rocky mount hitch racks and never had a problem. i've had over $10k worth of bikes on them at a time and never been nervous about them coming loose. now, getting rear ended...that's another story.

i also have a couple of these:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GT2VYI/ref=as_li_ss_tl?tag=rackmaven-20

i dont know any details wrt to when and where you ride, i.e. are you hitting the jeep trail for a couple days and need the bed for camping gear? if so the thule wont work. but with the thule it's easy to get in and out. i use the thule in my ford with a short bed so i must improvise. youre supposed to place the front tire in the rack, i place the rear wheel in the rack and turn the front wheel to the side so the bike fits. i've just ordered my JT so i dont know if the thule will work.

i'm trying to determine how i'm going to carry bikes also. when i head out of town with the guys we'll be wheeling and camping, no need for a bike. when i take my wife, we'll do some wheeling and camping and riding. so, if i go with the hitch rack i'll need to take into consideration where i'm going a little bit closer. dont think the rack would make a very good rock slider.
Are using the Thule insta gator in your gladiator? Do you have a Pic? When I tied down my bike in the truck bed I had to angle it and couldn't fit it straight. there was not much room and I am curious how the gator would be able to hold it.

Sponsored

noside85

First Name
Edison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Sting Gray
13945383786_82debeb6c9_b.jpg
This is what I intend to do

Jeep Gladiator Bike rack and Tonneau cover {filename}

madduck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gator JT, '77 SJ: Cherokee Chief, '06 LJ
Occupation
High Speed Al tubing manager
Are using the Thule insta gator in your gladiator? Do you have a Pic? When I tied down my bike in the truck bed I had to angle it and couldn't fit it straight. there was not much room and I am curious how the gator would be able to hold it.
i didn't have a gladiator yet. i just placed my order last week. in about 2.5-3 mos i should have it. grrrrr

but, i'll try and get you some pics tomorrow of it in my ford. the ford's bed length is 5-1/2'. my full suspension mtb fits fine using the thule and some reverse engineering. i'm not sure if my bike would fit in a JT. i ride an XL size so, even with the front wheel clocked off to the side it may still be too long.

frame size, and style, (i.e. downhill vs trail) will prob play a big part of what will fit. i'm not expecting mine to work with the thule.

shrinkhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
i didn't have a gladiator yet. i just placed my order last week. in about 2.5-3 mos i should have it. grrrrr

but, i'll try and get you some pics tomorrow of it in my ford. the ford's bed length is 5-1/2'. my full suspension mtb fits fine using the thule and some reverse engineering. i'm not sure if my bike would fit in a JT. i ride an XL size so, even with the front wheel clocked off to the side it may still be too long.

frame size, and style, (i.e. downhill vs trail) will prob play a big part of what will fit. i'm not expecting mine to work with the thule.
Yeah I could not fit a L Knolly Fugitive or L Ibis RIPMO or my L Uzzi straight into the bed even with the wheel fully turned. I have a half tail gate pad on order as the challenge with my single 1UP rack is that it blocks the license plate completely when folded up and partially when down. A double rack also blocks the camera fully when folded up. I carry my bike multiple days a week to go riding so I need an easy and permanent solution and esp. one that does not involve taking the front wheel off

Tim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR

My full squish MTB with the front wheel on fit in the 6.5' bed of my old Sierra just barely. I knew it wasn't going to fit in the back of the Gladiator. I was surprised when it didn't fit with the front wheel off when I installed a fork mount on the front trail rail. I don't think the Thule Insta-gater is going to work in a JT.

This is what I intend to do

That's a solid plan. I went a similar route. I may pick up a Yakima Frontloader since I really don't like taking the front wheel off all the time.

Since I took that picture I added a rear tire tray from KBVoodoo.